Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need brake line advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need brake line advise.

Hi, I have a leak due to corrosion in a hard brake line. It's right at the fitting on the line to the rear brake at the bracket driver side next to the third member. It goes up and turns to the rear of the truck above the coil retainer and I can't see with my mirror where it goes from there. I'm looking for a diagram on how my brake lines are routed but can't find one in the service manual. I am assuming that this is the brake line running along the frame rail driver side and to replace it I'm going to have to pull the gas tank and other crap too. Can I go to a local shop and get a new fitting and 2" section of hard line spliced in? It's got lots of space around the leak to work.

thanks...

update....

Called Stouffville Toyota Parts and the Driverside Rear Brake line is obsolete. But you can still get the passenger side. Weird??!? Called three local shops and they won't try to splice a brake line. So custom line it's going to be I guess. Any thoughts? I've got a lot of rust building up and want to drop the tank anyway to descale and rust proof so I guess that's step one.

Last edited by CanRunner; 04-12-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never had any luck trying to flare a old brake line !!

Here in Pa they just split and crack.

Have you mastered doing double flares ?? The new Copper nickle brake line is great to work with.

Don`t get to mad when you forget the flare nuts or put them on backwards

All most all my Toyota 4x4`s have needed to have the brake lines all replaced.

I never pull the fuel tank unless the bed is coming off for another reason

Run the new line along the old secure it in front and behind the tank tape the ends to keep dirt out to you screw the fitting in
Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll look into the line you recommend. The only options are to find a used part (not very reliable), have a shop fab it for me and install I'm guessing they would charge 2-4 hours between $200-$600 depending on their hourly rate or buy the tools and try it myself. I'll go for the latter at least then I can replace the other hard line parts if I have trouble. I going to look into this part being discontinued though I can't believe you can get the passenger side line and not the drivers, sound strange to me.

Im going to make a list of the tools and materials thinking of buying and check back here for any opinions. Looks like YouTube has how to videos, this might be something I could do a"how to" write up on.

I have checked the gap between the tank and frame rail and can see the line right through so I won't need to drop the tank. I did read on another forum that you can get a new line in without removing any parts. There are 4 clips total and I can see three of them I'm guessing the forth is on the top of the frame somewhere above the coil retainer. I will try to get a couple of mirrors to get a look before I start.

thanks I'll be back...