Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Nasty Electrical Fire...got a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasty Electrical Fire...got a question

Well, my battery mount wound up coming loose and caused the positive end of the battery to touch the battery mount causing it to ground...well not ground...charge the whole body. As a result, my CB antenna coax lit up like christmas and toasted itself, several wires, CB, and my carpet. NOT FUN . Smoke everywhere inside and out. A good 20 feet of coax toasted everything in its path. I think I was a good 60 seconds from my carpet lighting up in flames. Thank god this all happend as I was pulling into the parking lot of my apartment and my roommate was outside working on his car. Still took us several mins to get the damn battery disconnected with a pair of pliers.

Anyway, ive got everything pretty much back to normal. Have a front headlight out, but thats because its wires are fried. The one thing that I cant figure out though is my ABS. The ABS light is ON when my headlights are OFF. But when I turn my headlights ON, the ABS light goes OFF. This is when the truck is up and running. Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:39 PM

Sounds like wires melted their insulators and crossed somewhere. Good luck finding out where, I do not envy you this task hehehehe
Old 05-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to hear about your bad luck. first your truck dies in the mud and now this. this is one of those things that almost makes you want to go "f*** it!" and just sell your truck.

you might have fried a relay, the computer, who knows

maybe you'll get lucky like i did. pull every fuse and put them back in
Old 05-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

All fuses have been pulled. The wad of wires that goes along the radiator definitly got damaged. I am assuming the wire that goes to my passenger headlight is in there, for its fuse keeps blowing. That is definitely going to be a pain in the ass to figure out.

"˟˟˟˟˟˟ it" is right. Just gotta make it a few more weeks till I get a DD and this thing goes into trail rig mode. Then ALL the electronics are coming out and I could care less about ABS and a headlight while off-roading...especially abs
Old 05-29-2003, 06:55 PM

I feel your pain. I cant think of anything worse than a car fire. And i would say you have a short somewhere among the meltage. If i were you i would relace any melted wires. solder each end and heat shrink. Those will be the weakest link in your truck and thats where future problems will start. Or take it to a shop if your not up to it and get it addressed.
Thats a real bummer.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PoBoy
"˟˟˟˟˟˟ it" is right. Just gotta make it a few more weeks till I get a DD and this thing goes into trail rig mode. Then ALL the electronics are coming out and I could care less about ABS and a headlight while off-roading...especially abs

Just make sure you didnt melt a wire so it's grounded, powering some small electrical device, draining your battery