Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My unexplainable gut feeling...explained.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My unexplainable gut feeling...explained.

I feel as though I am inferior. I have a 98. Its stock. I can't really afford a lift at this time - im in high school with a part time job. However, I am getting some Firestone Destination AT's in 265/75's. It seems that the 99 is the best for offroading stock wise. I'm afraid I might break something on mine? How capable is my 98 4x4. I can't afford anything to break, but I mean, I'm doing easy to mild terrain. My suspension has 121,000 miles on it. Is it still okay to offroad with it? CALM MY FEELINGS. I can't seem to get it past my mind that my 4Runner is perfectly capable for what I am doing. I need to hear it from the pros! HELP!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Do you happen to have a rear e-locker?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Your rig will hold up fine with stock suspension. If you focus on getting a good set of tires youve won half the battle. Your vehicle is very capable, but just know your limits and be careful on how much you test them. My 99 is stock suspension and I have had many trips with no issues, but im the guy who takes his time and really focuses on a good line through the trail as oppposed to just hammering through. Do you have a rear locker? That will up your ability. Just slowly build up in your wheelin until you hit the point where you know if you go anymore something may break. But rememeber no matter how careful you are things can still break,,,,oh 121k miles is nothing.

Also look for threads like linked below by using search terms like: ifs stock suspension and flex to see what have been posted. i know tonnes have been
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...light=ifs+flex

Last edited by Godzilla; 03-17-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

NO rear locker =[.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine does just fine for me offroad

Last edited by Elton; 03-17-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: never mind mods are on top of things
Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Duplicate threads combined, duplicate first post deleted.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

Yea, I posted, lost internet and posted another one on accident =[. SOrry.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BYAHnate
Yea, I posted, lost internet and posted another one on accident =[. SOrry.
No problem. It happens.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a link to show you my Paragon Trip
Paragon 01-13-07

I went with two Modified Jeeps.
Some pretty easy trails.
I have no rear locker, and I have BFG AT and did just as good if not better in some spots then the jeep.

I am in college and too can not modify my rig.
But 4Runners are very capable SUVs stock.

And take your time, pick the right path that you know your vehicle can take.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM

I've got a 2002, which is pretty close to the same as your '98. It is as stock as they come, and today it ran the Aggie Highway trail in Katemcy, Tx with very few problems and no broken parts, just a mangled skid plate and scratched running boards.

You should be fine for "light to mild" depending on how you define the terms.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

What size tires? Also, how many miles on your suspension and stuff?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM

build or buy some rock sliders and take the front and rear swaybars loose when off road and have fun.

and avoid wheelhop, you know what they say,
"hop, hop, bang, oops, something just broke"

and the 00 and on is 1" lower than the 96-98. the 99 is an inch taller than the 96-98 and 2" taller than the 00+ model year cars.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 AM

Keep in mind that many of the things you see and hear about on here and other sites like this about off road mods are done for different reasons. The kind of wheeling you plan to do dictates what you need. Not everyone needs a big lift or all the rock climbing mods, snorkels, giant tires, different gears and on and on.
If your going to be on logging and mining roads carry an Axe and or chain saw with you , a com-a-long and some cables or chains. Don't be a hot dog on the trails and respect your truck and it will take you for some fun rides . Mike
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BYAHnate, you're 3rd gen 4runner is plenty capable offroad and the entire purpose of the website is really to help people maintain, fix and modify their trucks (either for better highway or offroad performance). For offroad performance, when you find you encounter an obstacle on a trail you'd eventually like to pass, then you simply figure out a game plan by doing research on YT (bigger tires, taller suspension, diff locks, highlift jack, whatever) that will get you by the obstacle next time you're out. Worry not, young grasshopper.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 03-18-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know exactly where you are buddy....i'm a high school student but I work hard during the summer to get a few extra bucks. So however much money i spend on anything tends to be very very well thought out and researched. Personally, I would think about what you need the rig for? I mean does it really make sense to have 33"s and a 3 inch lift if 90% of your driving is on-road? Just think about what you need and work off of that. What i'm planning to do is just get some A/T tires and a 1.5 inch lift (probably spacers) with some new shocks. This is all I need to satisfy my needs.

And yes the 4runner is pretty capable. The only thing that keeps stopping me from doing too much with it is the fear of breaking it. Because like I said I don't have the money to fix it.

Last edited by YM13; 03-18-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 AM

When I was in high school I had a 1976 Corolla. Kept it for a good part of college too. I would say your way ahead of where I was....

Stock yota's do great. Save your money for college.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think you need worry about the miles on your rig. My 98 has 140,000 on it and it does a great job running trails. I have climbed some good hills, gone through some skinny forest lines and had a blast wheeling my truck. Now I am in need of some new shocks but that's no big deal, if you keep up on "basic" maintenance your toyota will do just fine. I would look into getting some new urethane bushings for your steering rack to help tighten up the steering. Check www.wheelersoffroad.com for those, you should really only need simple things like that to keep your rig in good shape. Now stop over analyzing the troubles you "might" encounter and go have some fun, unless of course there is something wrong with the truck...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Nate, I too was once in your position. I stumbled across this website, and searched the forums, and asked tons of questions. Before long, I realized that there was a flurry of aftermarket activity going on with Tacoma's and runner's. So, like any young man would be inclined to do; I bought into the hype, joined an offroad club, and worked really hard so I could make my tacoma a very capable rig. A few thousands of dollars later, I no doubt have a wonderful rig, but along with the buildup, I also have trail-beaten rig. 33" tires, custom bumpers, sliders, lockers, gears, cv axles, u-joints, major body damage, busted tailgate, and extremely bad alignment are what I have to show for it all. Looking back, I would kept my rig at stock height, and only done the rear locker.......but hey, it's all in good dirty fun, and if I might also add: offroading is one of the greatest pleasures I have been grateful to experience in our beautful outdoors. I just feel it is too damn expensive, and take my word for this; once you start modifying your rig, you won't stop.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh stock 4runner will do fine with 4x4. Don't even sweat it. The larger the COG the worse it turns out to be in most cases... (like where I am at ahah)
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
JGM

Your vehicle is very capable. You probably won't break anything.

But...

You can be sure that the only way to be sure not to break anything offroading is to not offroad.

Last edited by JGM; 03-19-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: My unexplainable gut feeling...explained.