Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Tundra OME buildup thread w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Tundra OME buildup thread w/pics

Here it is finally, my pics of the buildup. Here's some background on the parts that I used: The tundra springs I used were the TRD 2wd (red/yellow purple/yellow) because they were available at the time and for a good price. I got them on ebay. I don't have any added wieght on the front like a brush guard or ARB bumper so I didn't have to worry about losing height with the 2wd springs. I'm sure I would have gotten more height using the 4wd springs (Y/Y B/y) I got about 2 1/2 in. on the front. I got that measurement from comparing the front to the rear. I didn't measure before cause I forgot my tape measure. Doooh! I used the Y/B bilstien's because they came with the shocks and I figure I'll use them for awhile until I buy some trekmaster's or some TRD tacoma dbl-cab springs. The only thing with the Y/B bilsteins because there high-pressure shocks you can really feel all the bumps on the road through the steering wheel.

On the rear's I'm using OME 890 springs and trekmasters. The OME's I bought off the boards here, and the trekmasters I got from Steve @ sonoransteel. His website is www.sonoransteel.com and he uses the trekmasters on his package lifts that he sells. He uses the OME 890's and trekmasters combo under system 7.

I was going to use some FJZ springs for the rears, but from the reading I had done here, they were going to give over 3 in. of lift in the rear and I didn't want the 'hot rod' look where the rears were much higher than the fronts. With the OME's, it should be just about even, if not just slightly higher in the back than the front, something I can deal with.

Also I do some towing and from what I've read, FJZ springs sag alot when towing so I would've need some airbags or higher bumpstops.

This is still in progress and I only got the fronts done, because as some of yall saw from my other post, I couldn't get the rear stock shocks off, so for now I'm lowriding it! Enjoy!

You can't really tell, the height difference between the front and back from this pic, but believe me it's there!

The bottle jack really helped in moving the control arm in place to get the lower mount in place.

Got the extended studs and the top out spacer from wheeler's offroad

Had to use a pipe wrench and a screwdriver to turn it and get in place.

Not much difference in size between shock size, spring size, there is a big difference.

I was suprised at how easy they fell out, once they were unbolted! Also notice I had to put the jack on 2x4's to get it high enough to lift.

For the rears, once I get the old crap off!

Big thanks to Ben90 from the ttora boards for the pics and the help!

One other thing, a nice tool to have here a dewalt electric impact wrench. For those of us that don't have air compressors. It saved alot us alot of time. It was well worth the money and you can find them for decent amount on ebay. To be continued!

Last edited by saulgoode; 01-29-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM

cant wait to see the rest, i plan on doing this as soon as i get more money
Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
cant wait to see the rest, i plan on doing this as soon as i get more money
Yeah, That's why I'm finally getting around to post my pics now, I've been piecing this together for about a year now.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woah... are those HD Bilsteins (toyota yellow billies) that i see in there???

that's going to be HARSH. you'll be pulling those back out. start saving for some OME's or tokicos now.

the FJ/FZJ's do sag alot - IN THE REAR - when towing. the 3rd gens use the FZJ FRONT coils in the rear of the 4runners to get lift. not the same coil. the fronts have a much higher spring rate than the rears to handle the weight of that heavy inline 6. i have had OEM, OME, FZJ springs, and Downey springs. OEM's are by far the softest. next are the downey's. after that, the FZJ's and then the OME's are the stiffest.

Last edited by bamachem; 01-29-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Good to see it all coming together. Shame I wasn't still in H-town to help.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
woah... are those HD Bilsteins (toyota yellow billies) that i see in there???
I thought the same thing when I saw those too.
.....just wear your mouthguard when going over speedbumps.

I think they may be a bit harsh, but when cash is a limiting factor, sometimes you just have to make do for a while.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, they are the infamous Y/B HD billies, so everyone go ahead I was expecting it anyways! I could've waited a little longer and gotten some tokico's or ome's, but I've waited long enough! I wanted all that crap off of my garage floor and into my rig! So eventually I'll be pulling them out, but for now I'm loving higher ride!

Now I need to get a sawzall to get the rear shocks off!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Good to see it all coming together. Shame I wasn't still in H-town to help.

Thanks, I definitely needed all the help I could get!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, okay, as long as you understood that they will be harsh, then it's OK. i just didn't want you to expect a smooth ride with them and then end up disappointed in the end.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
oh, okay, as long as you understood that they will be harsh, then it's OK. i just didn't want you to expect a smooth ride with them and then end up disappointed in the end.
Yeah on your Tundra OME lift thread I read about what shocks to use and not to use. Those ones I have on, you can feel smallest of bumps and potholes in the road. Got to thank ya for all of that info on the thread, it helped out alot!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Those are TRD Bilsteins from an Extended Cab Tacoma. They are low pressure gas not the high pressure gas of the Aftermarket shocks.

The body is very small and it says Toyota/Bilstein on the shock.

The best front shocks bar none are the Heavy Duty black ones we sell with our lift kits. They are only available with our lift kits. We do not just sell the shocks.

Extreme heavy duty lower bushing, larger body with more fluid to stay cool and the same guts of the Green front Trek Master.