Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My starter wont stop turning over..help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My starter wont stop turning over..help!

I has having starter issues proior to this with by my starter described here. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#IntroductionThe problem was that the starter would click when trying start the car. All I had to do was keep cranking over my car and it would start. Today when i tried to start my car, it started then wouldnt stop turning over ( as if I was holding the key to the start position). When I turned the key off and removed it, it sounds like the starter is still trying to start the car. If I put the key back in and put it to on, the car will sart. I kept turning over for about 5 minuites whil i ran to go get my tools and disconnected the battery wire. Ive tried shaking the key in the ingition and fidding with tha t alittle bit but removing the battery seems to be the only way to stop it as of right now. When I put the battery cable back on, it begins to crank over again. Anyone ever had this problem or have any idea what might be wrong?
This is in my 97 4runner btw

Last edited by rytek; 02-21-2005 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chamang (01-29-2023)
Old 02-21-2005, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solenoid/starter is pooched. solenoid is sticking in the forward position causin it to engage the ring gear all the time. will cause alot of damage if not fixed. install a new starter.solenoid and you should be good to go.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could either be the solenoid in the starter sticking or the bendix drive.
Either way you are going to need to pull that starter and replace it.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 PM

I was checking out some online shops for starters. They seem to run around 225 for refurbished and up. Does anyone have any prefered shops or an idea of how much they should cost?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rytek
I was checking out some online shops for starters. They seem to run around 225 for refurbished and up. Does anyone have any prefered shops or an idea of how much they should cost?
Do a search, I am sure someone has found some good sources in the past.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:35 AM

My truck did the exact same thing, I was just about to start a thread about it. Either I turn the key and -click- nothing, or it starts, but keeps engaged until i unhook the battery. Called the dealer, they said it is just sticking, get under it and hit it with a hammer. I got under it, hit it with a ratchet, and then it actually ran as normal. I took the truck to my moms and traded for one of hers, but I guess I still need to get a new starter. I've read the write-up on how to do it and it doesn't seem that hard, but I wonder if I should just let a shop do it. I found this:http://www.frautoparts.com/online_auto_parts.htm

Anyone know about this place? And these things don't look very similar, would either work?

Last edited by chuckd; 02-27-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:41 AM

I just finished changing my starter last night. It was not too bad. Read the write up https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...r/haveblue.htm and make sure you have all the tools before you start. The extensions are crucial. I was thinking to just replace my starter contacts and open it up and try to make the starter stop sticking somehow but decided that I didnt want to deal with it and bought one from Kragen. It is also a refurb and was about $130. I did see one on ebay if I remember correctly that you might be able to get for cheaper.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:39 PM

I bought a reman'd one off ebay from some car electrical ebay store. Turns out I bought the one for the 2.7, I was quickly jumping on it in the final seconds. Idiot. But I sent the guy an email and hes sending me the right one. Good deal. I hope to get this done this weekend, weather permitting, so I can get my truck back. Moms xterra is nice enough, much quieter and smoother than my ride too, but it just isn't the same.

Last edited by chuckd; 02-28-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Just did mine. Tried last week, but one of the bolts was so tight I broke my 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor. Just twisted in two. Sucked, so I got pissed and just gave up. This week, I decided I didn't need to jack up my truck or take my wheel off. Good call. I spent over an hour trying to get the higher of the two starter bolts out. I gave up, called some shops (its Sunday, so they were all closed) then decided to give it one more shot. I bought a U joint and several extensions, and in the end, I just used the extensions and a deep socket to fashion a crude breaker-bar to slide over my ratchet. The U joint was essentially worthless to me. Once I got the top bolt out, it literally took ten minutes to get the old starter out and the new one in. Removing the trans dipstick tube is key, but I had no reason to move the brake line. The starter slid easily out of a hole near the front of the truck. I was worried for a bit, because my new starter is significantly bigger than my old one, but it fit just fine. I didn't take out any exhaust collector or anything like in the write up, but I did have to take out kind of a triangle shaped exhaust hanger that has three bolts in it, directly under the starter area. I never want to do this again. Bear in mind though, that due to circumstances beyond my control my truck is 2wd. 4wd may be harder.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
On cause of the solenoid sticking is worn copper contacts. Why? Because the solenoid pluger pulls into the bore and makes contact with the two copper parts, if they have worn unevenly (as they usually do), one side of the plunger ring is lower than the other, causing it to get "cocked" in the bore and possibly stick. Also, worn, dirty contacts are more likely to arc and this can possibly "weld" the plunger ring to the contact.

Open up the starter and see if this is the case:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

If so, it is an easy and inexpensive repair.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 PM

i went to a salvage yard and got a starter for 25.00 and intalled that puppy myself in about 45 minutes save a bunch.....it is easy to reach...didn't even have to jack the 4runner up.....there is one bolt that is abit difficult to reach but once out it is a breeze to replace....i own a '02 4runner
Old 03-20-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
On cause of the solenoid sticking is worn copper contacts. Why? Because the solenoid pluger pulls into the bore and makes contact with the two copper parts, if they have worn unevenly (as they usually do), one side of the plunger ring is lower than the other, causing it to get "cocked" in the bore and possibly stick.
Wish I knew that before I changed the starter. Might have saved some cash.
Good to know though.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 PM

this happened to me too. Although i wasnt as lucky. mine kept going untill a huge cloud of smoke came pouring out, and my starter was shot. sucked replacing the thing too.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM

I figure I can just go ahead and fix my original with the new solenoid thing and keep it on hand. That way as soon as the new one starts going out I have a back up. I know there is no way I retightened the bolts as tight as they were, so the swap should be easy now that I can do it.
Or, can I take my old one somewhere and sell it?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM

I know this is an old thread, but my '97 runner just did the same exact thing yesterday night. Anyone know what type of contacts I need?

Mine is a '97 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD option.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Guessing an A and a B style in the starter, several options listed on the page below:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WhichContacts
Old 01-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Mine just did the same thing. Starter kept going until smoke rolled. No tools in the Safeway parking lot to disconnect the battery. Luckily an auto parts store was in the same lot and sold me a starter for $150 + $55 core. AAA picked me up and the guy was bitching because my tires were too big and he had to work harder to secure the truck to his bed...waaa. Going downstairs now to replace it. Will write up when I get back. I've replaced my clutch in this truck already so I've had the starter out before...not really wanting to pull the tire off to pull the starter. More to come...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm new to the site, just found it a few days ago. My starter is doing the same and I ordered some new contacts to replace the old ones. I'll be doing that this weekend, hopefully that's all it is and not the solenoid itself.... I guess I will find out soon enough! Anyways I'm glad I found this site, tons of helpful info on here!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by demo11
I'm new to the site, just found it a few days ago. My starter is doing the same and I ordered some new contacts to replace the old ones. I'll be doing that this weekend, hopefully that's all it is and not the solenoid itself.... I guess I will find out soon enough! Anyways I'm glad I found this site, tons of helpful info on here!
I just got off the magical mystery tour that is: changing contacts in a 4runner starter.

new plunger too.

reliable starts are why I have a toyota in the first place. when that comfort
got compromised, I couldn't rest 'til I had them thar new contacts in.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by demo11
Good luck! Its not all that bad.

When I pulled mine, and opened it up, the contacts were obviously very worn, and dirty. I changed the contacts, and lightly sanded the plunger contact. Then I sprayed a can of electro-contact cleaner inside of everything, it was full of dirt and grime.

A lot of the writeups on this website state how hard it is to remove the starter. Go ahead and put on some ratty clothes, gloves and just have at it... Have no respect for those starter bolts... well, just don't make sure you strip them!

Here's a pic with the plunger removed. You can see where the plunger drives downwards to make the connection between the two contacts.
Name:  DSC04418.jpg
Views: 3564
Size:  86.9 KB

Last edited by BajaRunner; 03-03-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply: My starter wont stop turning over..help!