Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

is my problem the tranny or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is my problem the tranny or something else?

hello all,

i noticed yesterday and today again, my '95 4runner would give a hard kick or jerk while i'm driving, also there were some grinding or whining noises from under the car. it happened about a total of 6 times within the past two days. it doesn't slip or stall, it just gives a hard kick out of nowhere while driving, but it drives fine during the episode, it's hard to describe. it feels as if the brakes lock up, but i don't think it's the brakes. please help.

jay

Last edited by jchin; 08-19-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Please check your trans fluid, then smell the dipstick and report back to us.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Please check your trans fluid, then smell the dipstick and report back to us.
hey 96,

what kind of smell do i look out for?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

A burnt smell.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Its an auto right?

My 93 Camry did that, the fluid was fine, I ended up selling it.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Its an auto right?

My 93 Camry did that, the fluid was fine, I ended up selling it.
yikes slc,

don't scare me like that!! yes, it's an automatic. truck has 160k miles.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jchin
yikes slc,

don't scare me like that!! yes, it's an automatic. truck has 160k miles.
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I had driven it for over 20K with it doing that. It ran fine once it was warmed up. I sold it to buy the Celica.

Is it only doing it when cold?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Bearings?
I lost a wheel bearing once. Frightening thing to happen - it locked up a front wheel! Spun the race, galled it to the spindle, ugly to fix (hours with emery cloth working on that spindle...) Anyway, a couple of times before it exploded the bearing did what sounds like that same thing to me. The first time the wheel just jerked once. I stopped and checked things, jacked up the front etc, nothing seemed wrong. I was about to head to the coast (95 miles) so I went home instead to change vehicles. On the way home it did that 2 more times. Just a few yards from my driveway it locked up tight. Good thing I was home, and going slow too - if I'd been on the highway it would have been bad. Now of course, I know what a bad bearing sounds like. It had been going out and I didn't realise what that sound was.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Bearings?
I lost a wheel bearing once. Frightening thing to happen - it locked up a front wheel! Spun the race, galled it to the spindle, ugly to fix (hours with emery cloth working on that spindle...) Anyway, a couple of times before it exploded the bearing did what sounds like that same thing to me. The first time the wheel just jerked once. I stopped and checked things, jacked up the front etc, nothing seemed wrong. I was about to head to the coast (95 miles) so I went home instead to change vehicles. On the way home it did that 2 more times. Just a few yards from my driveway it locked up tight. Good thing I was home, and going slow too - if I'd been on the highway it would have been bad. Now of course, I know what a bad bearing sounds like. It had been going out and I didn't realise what that sound was.
wow, identical scenario happened to me. Heard random noises, couldn't put a finger on it. One cold night I am flying home on the interstate - pull onto a side road near my house and BAMM --> bearings, race, hub, EVERYTHING mashed like a bomb went off. I introduced myself to the nearest snow bank lining the roads, but very thankful it didn't happen 5 minutes earlier next to a big rig.

jchin, if you have the time, pull your wheel and check your bearings. Make sure the race is properly seated in the back of the hub, and grease everything up if it looks ok.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:41 PM

thanks for all your responses. here's an updated description of the problem as it happened again after work today.

i can hear some rattling and also as if a piece of metal is dragging on the street, during the noise the truck is vibrating. the kick/jerk is similar to when you go over a speed bump without slowing down for it. also i can hear something clicking in the dash like a switch or relay going off. don't know if that's related but it happened also. these problems are intermittent, like today, it occured twice on the ride home. otherwise it drives normal.

i'm not mechanically inclined and i have no experience with any suv. this is my fiance's 4runner and i recently started driving it. could there be anything else like the differentials? thanks for the continued help. i guess i'll look at her owner's manual and learn how to check the transmission fluid and differential fluids? anything else i should check that is simple to do??

Last edited by jchin; 08-19-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:04 AM

anymore ideas??

thanks for all your responses. here's an updated description of the problem as it happened again after work today.

i can hear some rattling and also as if a piece of metal is dragging on the street, during the noise the truck is vibrating. the kick/jerk is similar to when you go over a speed bump without slowing down for it. also i can hear something clicking in the dash like a switch or relay going off. don't know if that's related but it happened also. these problems are intermittent, like today, it occured twice on the ride home. otherwise it drives normal.

i'm not mechanically inclined and i have no experience with any suv. this is my fiance's 4runner and i recently started driving it. could there be anything else like the differentials? thanks for the continued help. i guess i'll look at her owner's manual and learn how to check the transmission fluid and differential fluids? anything else i should check that is simple to do??
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

bad flux capacitator?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hearing a sound like 'metal dragging on the street, during the noise the truck is vibrating' is not something to be taken lightly if you cannot put a finger on it. If you have to read the owners manual to check the fluids, I would get it checked out asap before the black curtain falls! I say this for your own safety, since you don't know a whole lot about this stuff! good luck
Old 08-27-2004, 10:00 AM

hey i got the same clicking from under the dash...see my thread click..click..boom
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Sounds like a transfer case chain going? I know some Toyota tcases are chain type, but not which ones.