Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new '99 LTD leather seats for my '98 SR5

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My new '99 LTD leather seats for my '98 SR5

Okay, I went to the salvage yard to get a '99 console to do the cup holder mod, which I found. But, I didn't expect to find some nice leather seats too. So, I couldn't resist. We have a lot of things we want to do to this 4Runner and it needs a lot, but when you find a good deal, it's hard to pass up.

We only have the backseat in because my husband isn't going to take out the front seat(s) until we install the console. And we don't have the blue LED lights for the cup holders (which we like) yet so that will have to wait just a little while longer. We also need to find another driver's seat because the one in the set is damaged - but it was worth it for the rest of the seats.

Here are the backseats before (not bad):

Here are the new leather seats (much improved):

Here are the front seats (yet to be changed):

And the new front passenger seat & yes, we have the headrests! (looking for a driver's seat still):

Here's the messed up driver's seat (is it even fixable or not???):

Certainly I have looked at Ebay and the price for a leather set of seats there is going through the roof so I won't be going there. I guess I will probably sell the old seats which are in good condition. We never even cleaned them so we'll clean them up and they have no tears or rips. If anyone is interested, let me know. And if anyone knows where we can get a driver's seat in leather or if this one has any possibility of being fixed, I would appreciate it. I love all the great advice here!!! Keep it coming.

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: don't know how to get photobucket photos to show up!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM

I have seriously thought about downgrading to cloth just because I HATE leather in the summer and winter. And cloth is so utilitarian. Which I think is awesome.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

Soldier for Christ - I love it!!! My husband and I are both born again Christians very involved in our church. I guess I need to add that to my signature too!!

I suppose your leather is grey? If so, too bad, we could make a swap! If you are interested in the seats, my husband will clean them (the pictures show them before we have even touched them - but he has told me he also did a test and the few stains come out easily).

Keep up the great work for the Lord!!!

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by AmyRW
We also need to find another driver's seat because the one in the set is damaged - but it was worth it for the rest of the seats.

Here are the backseats before (not bad):

Here are the new leather seats (much improved):

Here are the front seats (yet to be changed):

And the new front passenger seat & yes, we have the headrests! (looking for a driver's seat still):

Here's the messed up driver's seat (is it even fixable or not???):

Certainly I have looked at Ebay and the price for a leather set of seats there is going through the roof so I won't be going there. I guess I will probably sell the old seats which are in good condition. We never even cleaned them so we'll clean them up and they have no tears or rips. If anyone is interested, let me know. And if anyone knows where we can get a driver's seat in leather or if this one has any possibility of being fixed, I would appreciate it. I love all the great advice here!!! Keep it coming.
You might have a mobile leather interior guy come look at it. IF there are none in the book check with a local body shop for a contact. I think you could sew that corner to tighten it and have the drivers seat bottom redyed. Probably be $150 but, at least it will be done.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM

hkspwrsche,

Well, yeah, I could see doing what you mentioned, but do you see the seat is twisted some. It's torqued like it was damaged in the wreck. So, that is my concern - can that be fixed???

See how the back & seat don't line up!!!

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM

I just twist them back as long as the metal isnt split. Ive seen that from wrecks or from real big drivers that plop into the seat when they get in. Once its bolted in you kinda stick your knee in the back and can push that way.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:06 PM

I live in Tulsa too, what junkyard did you go to?!

I need to hit that place up!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM

Cxrazy...should I give away my source???? Hmmm..you'll be stealing my parts then.....

Budget Import Auto Parts Inc.
13802 East Apache Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma, 74116

And the name fits - I got the console for $50 and the seats (whole set) for $200.

ADDED:
There is another 4runner at Budget with decent leather seats (because we took the headrests from it). So, you'd have to find headrests or recover yours. Not sure what year it is! It looks like it cannot be cleaned up - BUT as you can see the headrests we got look really good in the backseat (and they were black looking when we got them) so you may be able to get those for very cheap & see if they will work. My husband used some 2-part leather cleaner which helped. I can't remember how the front seats looked but it's worth looking into. Also, we found another '99 console there too that was in good shape! They have many 4runners out there - it's just piecing together something that works. The limited we got the seats out of also have good looking door panels (we debated getting them too), but I felt our door panels were in good shape & I didn't need the leather on them. Good luck!

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
I just twist them back as long as the metal isnt split. Ive seen that from wrecks or from real big drivers that plop into the seat when they get in. Once its bolted in you kinda stick your knee in the back and can push that way.
THANKS! I will tell my husband because he's convinced we cannot use it!!! I would certainly just rather fix it up, then trying to find another seat & hope it matches. Also, how do you know the metal isn't split? I don't think it is, but without tearing into the seat, you won't know, will you?

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added a question!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i love my cloth seats, but compared to the cloth in the pics i would definitely upgrade to leather or some better cloth. if you like leather, you scored! and that's a great deal for the center console. you're lucky you have a local yard that has 3rd gens on the lot.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
i love my cloth seats, but compared to the cloth in the pics i would definitely upgrade to leather or some better cloth. if you like leather, you scored! and that's a great deal for the center console. you're lucky you have a local yard that has 3rd gens on the lot.
It's true - I love Leather seats. My '04 Nissan Armada has leather and it was hard to get something with cloth again - and you're right, these weren't the best looking cloth - still in decent shape though! Of course, my Armada is so great because the leather seats are heated. Hmmm...should I add that to my 4runner?

It is awesome that this lot has a few 3rd gens out there. And I know there could be another import lot in town too that may have something - but haven't had a chance to check there. We thought about picking up some extra consoles and selling them on ebay or something because we think we could get a few at least. After reading many of the posts here, I thought it was going to be hard to locate a console, but I made 2 phone calls and had it (I was shocked too). And the console was in perfect condition too!

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by AmyRW
THANKS! I will tell my husband because he's convinced we cannot use it!!! I would certainly just rather fix it up, then trying to find another seat & hope it matches. Also, how do you know the metal isn't split? I don't think it is, but without tearing into the seat, you won't know, will you?

You should be able to see the attaching point between the two halves without much effort. The plastic side trim covers part of it. I would just bend it back. If it feels weak after its bent back you can separate the two halves, remove the hog rings and pull back the leather to really examine it and reweld if needed.
My guess is, when it's bolted in, a little push on the outside and hand pulling on the inside will turn things back to straight ahead.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
You should be able to see the attaching point between the two halves without much effort. The plastic side trim covers part of it. I would just bend it back. If it feels weak after its bent back you can separate the two halves, remove the hog rings and pull back the leather to really examine it and reweld if needed.
My guess is, when it's bolted in, a little push on the outside and hand pulling on the inside will turn things back to straight ahead.
I hope so! Now, I just need to get an estimate to fix the leather and see if I can get it done cheap enough!!

Last edited by AmyRW; 03-31-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM

replace it with purple vinyl.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cxrazy
replace it with purple vinyl.
Well, now, that sounds like a plan!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 AM

I would check out the other leather seats. Upholsters can be expensive and you will always spot the repair. Be sure the leather matches as there are colour variations between the years.
FYI the bottom cushions are interchangeable between the passenger and drivers seats.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blarchitect
I would check out the other leather seats. Upholsters can be expensive and you will always spot the repair. Be sure the leather matches as there are colour variations between the years.
FYI the bottom cushions are interchangeable between the passenger and drivers seats.
To echo Blarchitect, there will be variations in years. I started an SR5 to Limited project (check my threads on that) and after 3 sets of seats (yeah you read that right) I was able to finally get a somewhat matching set of leather seats for my 98 and NO they are not cheap!. Unless you can get the entire set from an existing 4runner chances are you will be mismatched. Even between years the pattern is different, the color is different and the head rests are different!

If you did not get the side panels you are gonna be disappointed after awhile. Being a lady, I would have thought you would have been all over your hubby for not doing that! Most women I know when you try to mix and match interiors on ANYTHING gets the nix! LOL! Really simple to change out. And as for seats, I have at least two other seats that the upper part of the frame is great. My biggest problem was finding seat bottoms that were not torn, worn or cracked. I ended up swapping the bottom from one passenger to the one in my driver seat. There is a suttle difference but hey you can't tell when you are sitting in it! I do not know the cost of shipping a seat but if you want to check into it, I have one available. It cost me $85. I can send you pics of the seats if you want. I too have the cloth seats and side panels sitting in storage and they are in really nice shape and clean.

As for the blue LED for the cup holder they may be a bit tougher to find as I wanted to do the same thing but they were either way to bright or way to expensive (like 5 times as much as green Anyway, I installed mine and it was great. Hey did you get the eBrake and console mounting bracket? If you didn't, go back and get them! Especially the mounting bracket. Totally "plug and play" you won't have to modify anything in the console except maybe trimming the base (I did a write up on the console install too including relocation of the switches if you don't wish to locate them to the dash console) It is a great amount of fun to modify these trucks. If you need any help with anything happy to help. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Ritzy4Runner,

Yes, I noticed the subtle difference when I took the headrests from the other vehicle (I had to get all of them or the front seat headrests would have had 2 different styles). So, I know that's going to be an issue. Although, the color matched - so that was awesome!

Actually, it was my husband that wanted the side panels and me that said I didn't think I needed them. I thought it looked fine without the leather. I just didn't want the extra cost and the panels we have are in good shape. Also, being that I do a little interior design, I don't mind a little mix and match.

Yes, I'm interested in the seat if you would please send pics!!!

Where did you get the blue LED's and what did you use so it's not too bright?

Yes, we did get the ebrake & mounting bracket. Oh, yeah, another $35 for that. I guess I forgot to add that in when I mentioned my cost. So, I guess that brings my console cost up to $85 in total....

Thanks for all the great advice. I had no idea I would be doing any modification when we found this - we weren't even looking to buy a 4runner (although I had always wanted one). We flew to pick up a vehicle and drive it home and when we arrived, the owner lied about the condition of the vehicle. SOOOOOO, stranded in a strange city, we rented a car and went shopping. We found this after 2 days of frustration. And of course, after driving home 14 hrs, we were HATING the cup holders already....and thus, began my search for alternatives and here we are!!!

Now, my husband wants to buy a second one - 4X4 so he can really have some fun!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by blarchitect
Actually, my husband is considering school....his father was an upholster and as a dumb kid he didn't take the opportunity to learn the trade. What a regret - it would have come in handy in so many projects. http://www.stereoschool.com/

He has a '78 Trans Am sitting and waiting for someone to love it!!! It has a great engine, but the rest of the car looks like junk - inside and out!!! I'm ready to fix it up or have it hauled off (of course, over the years, it has increased in value so I'd have to fix it up).

I do hate that you'd spot the repair - UGH! I know I would notice something like that. Thanks though for warning me about what I might be facing...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Actually, my leather is in really good shape and it is the beige color. I just swapped over the passenger cushion over to the driver side to extend the life. I should be good for another 100K or so now. I may put sheepskin or something over them not to protect them but just because...it's not leather!

Devout Christian here too. Obviously! Know your faith, things are going to get really hariy in the next few years. The only one you are going to be able to trust is God...so keep focused!

Quick Reply: My new '99 LTD leather seats for my '98 SR5