Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Monday morning blues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy My Monday morning blues

Did I ever boast to you all how nice my truck WAS? Then today happened, and I'm venting. I dropped my truck off at my mechanic's shop this morning. Less than an hour later he calls me and says can I come up right away? I said that doesn't sound good. He said, it's not. Some idiots unloading a truck dropped a crate on your truck. He shares a common parking lot with several other businesses, one of which is a moving and storage company. They were unloading a SE Freight truck and a crate on top of a crate went sideways off their forklift and landed on the rear of the roof. It dented the roof, mostly between the roof rack and the rear window. Then it continued down the drivers side rear quarter panel, scratching and denting on its way to the rear quarter bumper which it lowered by about an inch. I am still
I called the police and they issued a personal injury report, and I am waiting for the owner of the moving company to call me. My main thing, of course, it to get it repaired RIGHT. And this moving guy needs to pay for it, or his insurance company. My Runner has around 135K on it, but you'd never know to look at it. I take great care of my vehicles, and to have this happen, well, s___t happens doesn't it. Anyway, I'll be getting estimates tomorrow and going from there. Let's all be careful out there, it's a MONDAY!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you put all that wprk into your rig and someone messes it up. SUCKS! I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting for the California Department of Insurance to get my money out of an unscrupulous (other party as it was clearly her fault) insurance company. Should know in the next ten days. Good luck and hope all turns out !
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

make sure that they..

use only Toyota parts not el cheap-o aftermarket crap that they will most likely install. You have to tell them not to use that crap or they will and if you need a new rear bumper you dont want one of the cheap fake ones, they are thin, poor chrome and really dont last or look that great, nor do they fit like they should. Does your local Toyota stealership have a body shop, if not find one that does, they will be able to put it back to the best condition since they have worked on them many times before!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 AM

Hopefully they don't total it. Are any pillars bent?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

My nearest Toyota dealership is an hour away, and frankly I have never had any good vibes from them. I DO know a few local body shops that are really good, so I have confidence in them. As for the pillars, I looked really hard at the truck and I don't think they are bent. The denting in the roof begins at the third brake light and goes to the rain gutter just outside the roof rack. I think I'm safe there, but I am sure that the body guys can determine that. I am also worried about them being able to match the paint. Funny thing about the rear bumper is that it was beginning to show rust on the corner, rusting from the inside out. Well, this incident shows just how bad the rust was -- there is now a 3-4" hole on that corner of the bumper.

Last edited by 4mydogs; 11-19-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:52 AM

Ohh I see another canidate for "THE CHOP"

Get out your

Sorry to hear about your luck
Old 11-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, well it gets better. The owner of the moving and storage place denies responsibility and a rep of SE Freight is initially denying responsibility. That's ok. I love a good fight, and someone will pay. No ifs ands or buts.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 AM

I had just bought my first new car ( a 97 honda civic ex) and it was two months old. Parked on a street at the end of the meters thinking that way no onecould back into it. I go shop and come back to find a five ton truck parked on the hood. The rear fold down lift was at the windshield and the front end of the car was on the ground. The guy was unloading boxes of chicken breasts onto the roof of my car. I lost it so many different ways. Can't believe some people.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

my monday morning blues, lost a good friend and his father in a plane crash yesterday in san antonio.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
my monday morning blues, lost a good friend and his father in a plane crash yesterday in san antonio.
I am very sorry for your loss. Kind of helps me keep things in perspective.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:49 PM

hey man, it will all get better, at least you werent standing under it in the first place right?

sorry to hear about both the losses.

wade
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

hey 96

my sincere condolences for the loss of your good friend and his father. godspeed my friend.

lee
Old 11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE: Two quotes. Replacing the roof $4200. Not replacing $2900. I'm not replacing the roof -- way too invasive for the damage. My agent is taking over the quest for justice, and assures me he has the situation well under control. Which is the way is should be.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
man, sorry to hear about that, Charles. I heard about that crash on the news when it happened. It's always terrible to hear about those things.

Originally Posted by 4mydogs
Yeah, well it gets better. The owner of the moving and storage place denies responsibility and a rep of SE Freight is initially denying responsibility. That's ok. I love a good fight, and someone will pay. No ifs ands or buts.
How can they possibly deny that?? man, some people are idiots, make them pay!!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mtxride
How can they possibly deny that?? man, some people are idiots, make them pay!!
depends on who did it....if you own a moving company and someone freight company delivering to you drops something on a vehicle...its not your fault another company damaged someones vehicle.....if I understand correctly....

Any updates?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
depends on who did it....if you own a moving company and someone freight company delivering to you drops something on a vehicle...its not your fault another company damaged someones vehicle.....if I understand correctly....

Any updates?
According to all the insurance people that represent the company I work for (not involved in this claim), companies like SE Freight only bring the freight "curbside" meaning that their resposibility ends once unloading begins. If the receiver sees that he cannot safely unload the truck, he should refuse delivery for that reason. :pat: Once he begins unloading, it's his baby.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:53 PM

so whats that mean, cant mean that your screwed right?
wade
Old 11-22-2004, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

No, not at all. It probably means that the moving company's insurance company will be responsible for the damage.