My Master Plan For Modding My 95

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Master Plan For Modding My 95

4x4Lamm's 1995 4Runner SR5 Limited 4x4 Automatic 3.0 3-VZE V6

Stage 1, (Lift, Tires, Wheels):
Old Man Emu HD Rear Coil Springs
Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks, (all around)
Old man Emu Steering Damper
Exploerer Pro Comp Extended Brake Line Kit
SDORI Ball Joint Spacers
T-Bar Crank To Level Vehicle
American Racing 15x8 Ar-23 or Outlaw II Alloy Wheels w/ Plastic Center Caps
Downey LSPV Relocation Bracket
Wheel Alighnment (courtsey Toyota steering componet recall)
32x11.50R15 Cooper Discoverer STT Radial Tires
OLD BFG AT (31") for Spare
Steel Wheel, for Spare

Stage 2, (Carry-Over Mods From 92 4Runner):
TJM-13 Bullbar
Optima Red Top Battery
K&N FIPK Air Intake Kit
Exhaust (2" pipes w/ Flowmaster 40 series and CatCo CAT)
Bushwhacker Extenda-A-Fender Fender Flares
Surco 45"x50" Safari Roof Rack
Auto Vent Shade Vent Visors
Rear Hitch Recovery D-Ring
Twin Front Tow Hooks
All My Off-Road Recovery/Survival Gear and Other Misc. Equipment

Stage 3, (Interior Non-Electronic Mods):
Black Husky Liners, Front, Rear and Cargo (fire extinguisher and mag-lite mounted to front liners)
Custom Weatherproof Interrior Tailgate Covering
Lev-O-Gauge
Door Sill Gaurds
Chemical CO Detector
Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover (europerf, black and oak)
"Foot Locker" Style Cargo Box

Stage 4, (Vehicle Warning Equipment):
Code 3 LP MIni Light Bar (clear w/ red filters)
Wheelen Strobe Hide-A-Ways x2 (clear, in headlight housings)
SVP 12" LED Lightstick, Red/Amber (for rear interior warning)
Sho-Me Mini Phantom LED Dashlight, Red/White (for front interior warning)
Sho-Me 4 Tone Remote Mount Siren (wail, yelp, air horn, priority)
Federal Signal AS-124 100 Watt Siren Speaker (mounted in bullbar)
Aftermarket Horns (Fiamm freeway blasters)
Sho-Me Mini Switch Box (fused)

NOTE: All warning equipment will use quality switches, relays and aux. fuse blocks

Stage 5, (Vehicle Exterior):
Polar Bear Tail Light Gaurds, Black
Marlin Crawler Rock Sliders (15 degree cant, with grip tape)
Rack Adapters for Surco Rack
Ax/Shovel Mount for Surco Rack
Hi-Lift Mount for Surco Rack
Fixed Head Unit Antenna
Genaric Mudflaps (front and rear)

Stage 5, (Interior Electronic Mods):
Pioneer CD/AM/FM Headunit
New Componet Speakers
Lowrance IFinder Pro GPS w/ ProFit Mounting Bracket and RAM Unit Craddle
Uniden BearCat BC-350C Scanner Radio w/ External Speaker
Firestck 3' Scanner Antenna w/ Rear Hatch Mount and Fire Ring COAX (pass. side)
Cobra 19 DXIV CB Radio w/ External Speaker and Cobra High-Gear Microphone
3' Firefly CB Antenna w/ Rear Hatch Mount and Fire Ring COAX (drivers side)
Twin 12 Volt Power Outlets
Hella Map Light

NOTE: All extra electronics will use aux. fuse blocks

Stage 6, (Lighting):
Hella 550 Amber Fog Lights (on TJM center section)
Hella Micro FF Driving Lights (custom mounted on TJM)
KC 12 Series Long Range Lights (on Surco rack)
Wal-Mart 55 Watt Flood Lamps (mounted on rear bumper)
"All Weather" 9004 Headlamp Bulbs
LED Marker/Brake/Indicator Bulbs (all possible uses)

NOTE: All lighting will use quality rocker switches, relays and aux. fuse blocks

Stage 7, (Other Mods):
Hi Amp Output Alternator (undecided brand/model)
Traction Adding Differentials (undecided type)
B&M Aux. Transmission Cooler (medium duty)
Autometer Transmission Temp. Gauge w/ A-Piller Pod
Aftermarket Rear Bumper (way off, low priority)
Wet Okole Seat Covers Beige Camo Pattern, (for when seats start to rip)
Misc. Decals/Stickers and Reflective Tape
Toyota OEM Freeze Plug Block Heater (need PN PLEASE!)
Hi-Lift Jack Acessories, (jackmate, slider adapter, off-road kit, base spread, isolator)
Safari Engine Snorkel (maybe...)

Lamm
Old 10-13-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get the idea you may have made electical mistakes on your last venture. I love electronics, but I know how one mistake can wreck it all. So, I'd say good idea on fusing EVERYTHING. Those Buss fuse blocks are great, as long as you fuse their juice source! Also, solder and heatshink, and then tape just to be paranoid. I only use 3M Super 33/77 electrical tape. You may have learned the hard way, I hope I haven't made any mistakes. My only other comment is to avoid Cooper tires. As far as AT tires go I've dealt with Michelin's, Cooper Discoverer AT's, and Deuler Revo's. Michelin's last forever but aren't the best in the conditions. The Coopers might as well have been drag tires... decent traction, but they only lasted 18,000 miles (1/2 ton 85 Silverado) never off-roaded or abused. The revo's are awesome, but if you live or drive on gravel a lot I'd get Deuler's minus the Revo... they throw rocks bad but are great tires.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Actually, I lost my last 4runner to a car fire. Although the lights and such I added were not the cause, It still spooked me so I am going to be even more careful this time.

I have herd a lot of people tell me good things about Coopers durability. The STTs are close to a BFG MT, not an AT.

Lamm
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like a nice (and long) list...only thing I'd say is 2.25" exhaust pipe not 2" but go for it!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 PM

Well, 2" is what I got on the exhaust section I SawZalld off the 92.

If the muffler shop has to break the pices down and do it all again, I'll have em' put 2.25" after the muffler.

Lamm
Old 10-13-2005, 10:02 PM

It's been 5 years since the Coopers, I'm not familiar with the model you are talking about... just was saying they lasted worse than any other tires I'd had (besides some Z's on my Iroc-Z) soft tires have good traction but don't last long... it's a trade off! I kept up with your misfortune with your sweet old truck, but most car fires are electrical, that's why fuses are life savers...
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 PM

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...ht+Truck+Tires

They are new, and I'm gonna try em'. By the time they wear out I can afford new ones I figgure.

The fire was electrical, and there were fuses blown all over the map, the sunroof even opened itself! The origin was no where near any aftermarket stuff, and all my lighting circuts were still intact.

"crap" happens as they say.

Lamm
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 PM

Pre-Stage 1 Mod - high quality immobilizer
Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

I c now, cheap is always good, those coopers look pretty nice almost like irok style sidewall/shoulder blocks
Old 10-13-2005, 10:56 PM

"Crap" does happen, I almost feel sick FOR you for something like that to happen. Those pictures you put up might as well have been a mangled dead body, we feel for you. I guess as long as you do all you can on any mods, doing everything "just right", that's all you can do. Maybe this all happened for a reason, this new ride is an act from above and beyond!? I wish you the best, it's almost "loserlike" to say but losing my would be like a death to me after the time and money I've put in. Keep us posted, okay?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Pre-Stage 1 Mod - high quality immobilizer
Huh? You mean like the club or something?

Lamm
Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Huh? You mean like the club or something?

Lamm
A dedicated electronic immobilizer and not just some easy to defeat starter kill that comes with an alarm. A club is a mechanical immobilizer. A club can be easily defeated as I found out when I had my truck stolen.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada developed a Standard for auto theft deterrence for electronic immobilizers. They subjected them to a myriad of various theft circumstances and rated them. Only 4 aftermarket immobilizers (and think of how many car/mobile/audio/video/electronic's type stores sell them and how many different brands we see) passed and met or exceeded that standard.

http://www.ibc.ca/vehinfo_theft_approveddeterrent.asp

I am extremey meticulous about my truck. I don't mean to sway the topic at hand, this is about YOUR rig. But my point is my truck is representation of me and the things I do to it and with it. It sounds like you got a lot of passion and you have a lot of adventure going to be built into your rig. The fact you will sit here and name it off already tells me you're a first born child in your family. And you will be investing all this money and time into mods, and if it's stolen we all know for a fact you wont' recoup this investment through insurance. So do whatever you can in your power to prevent it.

I sure have peace of mind when I park my truck now.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

i wonder if he is first born...i have a similar, much smaller plan (im not starting from stock like lamm is) for my 4runner, and im the second born...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
A dedicated electronic immobilizer and not just some easy to defeat starter kill that comes with an alarm. A club is a mechanical immobilizer. A club can be easily defeated as I found out when I had my truck stolen.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada developed a Standard for auto theft deterrence for electronic immobilizers. They subjected them to a myriad of various theft circumstances and rated them. Only 4 aftermarket immobilizers (and think of how many car/mobile/audio/video/electronic's type stores sell them and how many different brands we see) passed and met or exceeded that standard.

http://www.ibc.ca/vehinfo_theft_approveddeterrent.asp

I am extremey meticulous about my truck. I don't mean to sway the topic at hand, this is about YOUR rig. But my point is my truck is representation of me and the things I do to it and with it. It sounds like you got a lot of passion and you have a lot of adventure going to be built into your rig. The fact you will sit here and name it off already tells me you're a first born child in your family. And you will be investing all this money and time into mods, and if it's stolen we all know for a fact you wont' recoup this investment through insurance. So do whatever you can in your power to prevent it.

I sure have peace of mind when I park my truck now.
Oh, well I don't think I will be getting one soon. Car theft is not a problem where I live, work or go to schoo. Not even car break-ins anymore.

I do want to get one of the battery terminals that you can shut off though...

I hearby give you permission to laugh at me if ever my 4x4 gets stolen, but I don't feel the need for one as of now. Thanks for your idea though.

Lamm
Old 10-15-2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by northfacer581
i wonder if he is first born...i have a similar, much smaller plan (im not starting from stock like lamm is) for my 4runner, and im the second born...
I'm they younger of two brothers, but we are nothing alike. I often wonder if he is a "milkmans" kid, or am I? Hahaha

I just find myself to be more and more methodical all the time as I get older.

"Plan your work and work your plan!"

Lamm
Old 10-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Here's my suggestions:

K&N FIKA kit isn't worth the $$$ you pay for it ... K&N filter is good.
Stay with 2 inch exhaust ... 2.25 inch adds little or nothing to power or mileage
If you running with front IFS then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOWNEY FRONT TRUSS!!!
CB should also include Weather / PA / SWR meter
Also carry FRS radios (they go transmitter farther than CB's)

Kudos for the Uniden Bearcat BC350C ... It's a decent trunk tracker (emergency/fire/police) and has decent reception.

From your list ... this is going to be an awesome ride.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by amusement
Here's my suggestions:

K&N FIKA kit isn't worth the $$$ you pay for it ... K&N filter is good.
Stay with 2 inch exhaust ... 2.25 inch adds little or nothing to power or mileage
If you running with front IFS then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOWNEY FRONT TRUSS!!!
CB should also include Weather / PA / SWR meter
Also carry FRS radios (they go transmitter farther than CB's)

Kudos for the Uniden Bearcat BC350C ... It's a decent trunk tracker (emergency/fire/police) and has decent reception.

From your list ... this is going to be an awesome ride.
Stage 2, (Carry-Over Mods From 92 4Runner):

...Make sure to read ALL of the plan...he already has certain things...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, and I thought theft wasn't an issue where I live too. Until my truck got stolen.

The guy got caught about 5-6 hours from where I live driving my truck and towing stolen goods with it and received 12 monthes in jail recently.

Oh well, I hope I don't have to say "told ya so," at some point.

First borns are typically organized and perfectionistic by nature (usually). If there is a large seperation between 2 kids usually they may develop into 2 first borns because they don't end up having typical sibling rivalry issues. So the fact that you listed off and planned all your mods here said something to me, that's all.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 AM

I hope you never do too. And I'm glad they caught the jerk that stole your rig.

I park inside a fenced in area w/ barbwire at one job, inside a building at another. School has a security guard, neighborhood is very good too so at this moment I'm not crazy about it. When all the other stuff on my list is done though, the modding will continue...

Is it just me, or is car theft a big problem in Canada recently?

Lamm
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Some suggestions for changes to your rig:

Stage 1
1) Get 32 x 11.50 x 15 OR 33 x 10.50 x 15 BFG All Terrains instead of Cooper SST's. Yes it's nice to have something aggressive and "offroad" looking but the BFG's will be a way better onroad tire, they are a way better snow tire, and all around an awesome all around tire. And they are still as aggressive of an all terrain as it comes with a solid reputation and better looks.

2) If at all possible, try not to crank the torsion bars if you don't need to. In fact if there is a way to avoid having to screw with the front IFS at all, do it. However with those new HD rear coil springs you are getting I can't say personally. The one thing that IS overlooked is 89-95 pickups and 90-95 4runners actually look cooler (and I've seen my fair share) with the rear end slightly higher than the front end (just slightly). When I say that I'm talking from the edge of the fender trim to the top of the top of the rim (which leaves little room for error and is a good reference point for all tires/height of lift, etc.).

3) Perhaps I am a toyota loyalist, perhaps I like the look of how Toyota things look, but I would scrap the American racing rims idea in favour of finding a set of alloy 15" rims off of a 95.5-97 Tacoma. This is a picture of the same rims but in 16" which are found on the 4runner from 96-02. It's these alloy rims only they were made in 15" for the 95.5-97 tacoma's that I really like and I may put on my truck someday if I can find them. Here's a pic: http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/69356.jpg

Stage 2

1) Exhaust. Do a complete exhaust system from the manifold back. I would run 2 1/4" pipe. A little more free flowing, and you'll see (from what I've heard and a guy I know who has an 89 4R with the 3vze) a better high end improvement with a slight loss in torque. Also - everyone is hung on flowmasters b/c they are inexpensive and seem to perform very well. Have you thought about a Borla? Part of it is because of the Borla name. Part of it, the Borla reputatin and performance. The other part is becasue not very many guys on here have Borla and so you would be a little more original. I'm talking the Borla Turbo muffler. Get it all mandrel bent, except NOTHING LESS. Sell the old exhaust system.

Stage 3:

1) You said husky liners, black. Why black? They have grey, they have tan, they have black, but does black match your interior (OK, I'm not an interior decorator, nor am I gay, but I gotta say I like the way my grey husky liners work with the grey interior in my truck.

Stage 4

1) General comment - is this a rice rocket with neon lights or a 4runner? Time for a fart can!

Stage 7 is really the most important part of your list as it has the neccessary components of a true 4x4 build up as well as giving power to all your other accessories, etc., yet you don't seem to have any idea as to exactly what you want. I would start another thread and break this section down to get some recommendations on lockers, gear ratios, alternators, etc. and I would move the things in Stage 7 to more along the lines of Stage 2 as far as the progression of your mods go.

Quick Reply: My Master Plan For Modding My 95