Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My latest Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My latest Modification

Last Year I moved the spare tire from the swing out carrier to the underneath location by installing the pulley assembly. I could not remove the swing out tire carrier without leaving holes in the rear corner.

Came across this idea for a tool box that will swing out of the way. The diamond plate box is 12" X 12" X 36" and works so well.
I can store my ax, bow saw, tow strap, etc. outside the runner.

Let me know what you think -

http://img113.exs.cx/img113/5900/MVC-003F2.jpg

redneck thinking outside the box !
Old 11-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
Last Year I moved the spare tire from the swing out carrier to the underneath location by installing the pulley assembly. I could not remove the swing out tire carrier without leaving holes in the rear corner.

Came across this idea for a tool box that will swing out of the way. The diamond plate box is 12" X 12" X 36" and works so well.
I can store my ax, bow saw, tow strap, etc. outside the runner.

Let me know what you think -

http://img113.exs.cx/img113/5900/MVC-003F2.jpg

redneck thinking outside the box !
Another view http://img129.exs.cx/img129/9008/MVC-005F1.jpg

I also managed to remove the cover on the top of the swing hinge and mount my CB antenna to the tire carrier mount. This also works very well - 3 trips to Tellico and it has not been bent or broken.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it..... Looks good

Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah doc,
Although your definately the first person to want to get rid of their tire carrier, you definaty put it to good use. I wish they had the factory carriers for the 3gens in the states too. Oh well... When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be another thread about body damage
Old 11-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Yeah doc,
Although your definately the first person to want to get rid of their tire carrier, you definaty put it to good use. I wish they had the factory carriers for the 3gens in the states too. Oh well... When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be another thread about body damage
The tire carrier with a 31 gets in the way - I wanted it underneath on purpose ! I haul boats and campers quite often and trying to hook up on the trailer ball was a PITA I know everbody likes it out from underneath but honestly it has never been a problem for me. I've even wire tied 2 front CV shafts to my frame and then raised the tire up to protect them. The extra shafts are wrapped in plastic bags. The tool box works well for all that stuff that can kill you in an accident ! projectiles
Old 11-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

You are just TOO easy Doc!

Looks good! I'm gonna put in a tool box in the cargo area, bolted down and locked to put all my toys (tools) in.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:47 PM

Looks good. What anti theft measures do you have so no one steals the whole box. Some college kids around here with enough time on there hands might have a field day with it in my neck of the woods.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, I think that's a first!
Pretty cool!
Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hospersc
Looks good. What anti theft measures do you have so no one steals the whole box. Some college kids around here with enough time on there hands might have a field day with it in my neck of the woods.
MOunting the box was a challenge to say the least. I took 2 - 6" aluminum
L brackets and bolted them through the box with fender washers and lock nuts. Cut the tire carrier off as much as possible - so that the latch mechanism was still functionable. Leveling the box was tricky !

Once mounted - I drilled through the round part of the carrier tube and through the aluminum box - used longer 5/16 bolts to reach inside the box.
The span between the round tube and the box was filled with chrome tubes
cut to length and the bolt is hidden - again with the fender washers and lock nuts inside the box. This was done in several places where applicable.
If they could steal this box - it would require prying the lid open and ruining the box - just to get to the lock nuts. All holes were sealed with silicone once the rigidity was there. I post a picture of the mount if anybody is interested. The aluminum box was brand new - found it on E-bay for $98.00 - good quality to !
Old 11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You are just TOO easy Doc!

Looks good! I'm gonna put in a tool box in the cargo area, bolted down and locked to put all my toys (tools) in.

Yes I am ! You missed a good trip Wabbit - the weather was great
but it was DAMN cold Friday night !
You might have even been in on the trail 10 run - wow don't want to do that again. Fender damage for me - looks good though the Tellico
sticker covered it right up !
Old 11-08-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had the same idea. I plan on putting 33's on my 91. When I do the spare is going up top and a toy box is going on the back rack. Looks way nice doc! I would be interested in the mounting you did...if you could get some pics up of the mounts up close that would be great. Thanks!.....let me know how it continues to work out
Old 11-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AW1090
I've had the same idea. I plan on putting 33's on my 91. When I do the spare is going up top and a toy box is going on the back rack. Looks way nice doc! I would be interested in the mounting you did...if you could get some pics up of the mounts up close that would be great. Thanks!.....let me know how it continues to work out
The box went 4 wheeling this weekend and we were in some pretty rough country - never a problem with the box nor did it move !
I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the mounting that I used. I had been thinking about it for quite a while when I ran across the perfect size box.
Not being able to find the box was the problem - plastic does not mount well and everything aluminum or steel was way to big. This box would have been better if it was like 16 X 16 X 36 but I was tickled to find it.

Thanks for the compliments - I like it too !
Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AW1090
Pictures of the tool box mounted on my rear tire carrier.

http://community.webshots.com/album/214390246JZDlNb
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
Pictures of the tool box mounted on my rear tire carrier.

http://community.webshots.com/album/214390246JZDlNb
Here is the web address for the E-bay store where I found the HIGH quality Aluminum tool box. fast shipping too !

http://stores.ebay.com/Truck-and-Tra...enameZl2QQtZkm
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

looks awesome, just be sure your tools don't start launching themselves outta there while on the highway and you'll be fine.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
man...that is super clean! I've got so many things planned out for mine, but that'll be on the list for sure. It should help me keep all the loose stuff in the back from rolling around. Thanks for the pics
Old 11-12-2004, 07:08 AM

nice job..... wish i had a tire carrier.....

just curious, what is to prevent somebody from just unbolting the 4 or so bolts that attach the entire tire carrier assembly to the truck? if somebody wanted to steal it bad enough, that is the route i would take.... just so that you are warned....

JQ
Old 11-12-2004, 07:59 AM

I parked my truck in midtown Manhattan for a week with the tool box unlocked. Nothing was missing. I wouldnt worry about it. If somebody wants it bad enough they are gonna jack it regardless.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jay-q
nice job..... wish i had a tire carrier.....

just curious, what is to prevent somebody from just unbolting the 4 or so bolts that attach the entire tire carrier assembly to the truck? if somebody wanted to steal it bad enough, that is the route i would take.... just so that you are warned....

JQ
Thought of that - all of the outside hardware is through bolted between the
round rail and the box struts (chrome tubes) Inside the box is fender washers and nylon lock nuts / the bolt heads outside may turn but the nut will just turn inside the box. Lid locks to prevent access to the internal lock nuts. Of course if a thief wanted it - they would have it.
Locks only keep honest people honest ! I'm glad you guy's like the box -
I used a lot of thought and waited until I found exactly what I wanted.

sometimes I impress myself
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 PM

diamond plate box you say?

check this out

just finished, I know it isnt Toyota, but may give you some ideas....

also we just lifted the truck over a foot....

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 11-16-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: My latest Modification