Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My garage (epoxy flooring mod)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My garage (epoxy flooring mod)

Ever dream of a "shop type" flooring in your garage at home? Yeah, me too. Well, I made it a reality when we moved in to our new house. This "mod" can also be done to old floors, but requires more extensive cleaning.

It takes some work, but the end result is well worth it!

Take a look here to view my garage, and the what the flooring looks like.

I figured this would inspire some of you car freaks like me out there.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Nice!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Nice Garage!!
When I finish college sometime in the next 50 years (ok maybe 1.5 years) I might be able to afford a house with a garage! I am very jealous.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's definitely a mod I will be doing when I get a garage. That looks SOOOOOOO clean. And it will make cleaning up spilled oil and grease so much easier than bare concrete, which just sucks that stuff in.

Very nice!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:01 AM

I did mine in tan last year. It really brightened up the garage and it is so easy to clean up. Just spray some soapy watter on it and squeegy if off.

You are right, it is a tad slippery when wet. I thought about putting the sand stuff, but since I slide around so much on my back working on the trucks, I dediced against it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-21-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great ! any thoughts on taking a trip to Maryland? I could use some lessons on how to keep the wifes junk out of my garage, just so I could even see the floor. Let alone epoxy it and even park my truck in there. LOL
Nice job.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PirateFins
Looks great ! any thoughts on taking a trip to Maryland? I could use some lessons on how to keep the wifes junk out of my garage, just so I could even see the floor. Let alone epoxy it and even park my truck in there. LOL
Nice job.
LOL, well my wife just uses our closet for all that. The garage is mine!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:10 AM

My stepdad does this to all of his garages and it is indeed slick. I'd like to apply it, but I can't figure out where to store all the stuff that's in my garage <G> BTW: That is the cleanest garage I have ever seen.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JGage
I can't figure out where to store all the stuff that's in my garage

Try doing just half and then move everything over and do the other half. tha't's what I'll probably have to do.

<96 Runner>:

How do you "Etch" the floor as you say in your write-up? I want to do this and may tackle it once the weather stops crapping on us.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

I did that when we moved in our house and it is awsome. Since we have a closet off the garage, I can keep all my tools in there, leaving it clean except for the cars. And since I work out of the house, My truck is rarely dirty. Like today, it is raining......my truck is clean......I am not going anywhere.

To dress it up a little I went to this web page and downloaded some of these vintage racing posters. I tiled them out, and pieced together so they are about 15" x 20", to fit in some old poster frames. I have a total of 8 hanging in there.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/literature/poster_main.htm

Once I had hung those, I was inspired to propose a new poster to one of my clients, so I did it. It was too close to the race, so we did have time to have them printed, so I tiled this one out and replaced one of the old ones. When you click here, it is the top picture on the left.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...0637&members=1

Another thing I had done, was when they were building my house, I insulated all the exterior walls to the garage. They normally don't do this. After we were moved in and settled, I insulated the garage door with that pink 3/4" insulation. It is actually two pieces thick in each section. I was out there waxing the truck the other night....the outside temp was around 28 and I was in the garage in shorts and a t-shirt with my fan on.

Yes, I know I am sick....but happy.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Keisur,
You can use Muratic Acid and a scrub brush on a pole. Make sure you have a fan blowing through and wear a mask. I got my paint from a place here in Birmingham called Induron.

War Eagle!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Keisur-

Etching is just preparing a good bonding surface for the epoxy, basically removing foreign debris on the "stock" floor. Acetone, and other floor cleaners work well.

Like momo said, where a mask that stops ORGANIC chemicals. Those "comfort" masks wont do anything for you health wise.

Momo: great idea. I prefer import posters, but vintage is cool too.
(I guess its a generation X thing) - I think that's what I am anyway...
Old 02-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

That is sweeeeet!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Away

Nice looking Garage.

Dr. Z
Old 02-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Dont hesitate to ask any questions if you want to give this a shot.

I would recommend doing this in the warmer months, if you dont live in Phoenix that is.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Keisur-

Etching is just preparing a good bonding surface for the epoxy, basically removing foreign debris on the "stock" floor. Acetone, and other floor cleaners work well.
In that case, I had them cap the garage floor when I had mine built and had them leave it rough instead of doing that smooth buffing so I'll just clean it and paint it.

thanks.

Originally posted by momo.75
Keisur,
You can use Muratic Acid and a scrub brush on a pole. Make sure you have a fan blowing through and wear a mask. I got my paint from a place here in Birmingham called Induron.

War Eagle!
Roll Tide, eh heh heh! you got it this year, we got it last year. it's weird how it always seems to be the underdog that wins, I laughed when I saw we were going to Hawaii. Then if that doesn't beat all, the wimpy not guts coach F. decided to just come over here and let somebody else tell the boys for him. no balls! we had bad luck all year except for LSU, which was luck!

Last edited by keisur; 02-21-2003 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

No drain in the floor?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

That would be the ideal thing.

I have already got the plans in mind for when we build our next house. If it allows for a basement, I am going to have the walls waterproofed and insulated with a couple of drains in the floor, so winter time washing can happen indoors, day.....or night.

That's just sick, isn't it?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FUGGRWE
No drain in the floor?
I am pretty sure the building code here in Phoenix does not require you to have a drain if the flooring slopes "outward."

I do wish I had a drain though. My wife thinks I am a freak because I am the only person she knows that mops and towels the garage floor. Hey it get's muddy, why not?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Holy crap!!!!!:eek: You get mud in yours????:eek: lol My wife thinks I am a freak because I mop mine when it is dusty....

Quick Reply: My garage (epoxy flooring mod)