Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Alignment Saga and Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Alignment Saga and Thanks

Hello,
New here, but just wanted to post to say thank you to those on this board.
Recently bought a 99 Tacoma 4WD and after driving it for a bit wanted to get a minor pull to the right and a flashing airbag light fixed. Stuff I thought I couldn't do myself.
So, took it to Toyota for the airbag light and had them do an alignment while it was in there. Get my truck back and they tell me they can't align it, and can't tell me why they can't. 5hrs on the rack and a couple hundred dollars later! It now pulls hard to the left but the rack said it was perfect.
So after pulling my hair out for a bit, and reading forums, decided to take it to a well known reputable alignment shop for a second opinion. They told me they couldn't do anything without a new inner left tierod end. Said OK and I'll take the truck home and do the work myself.
Came home and pulled the boot off the rack to find tie rod end fine, and a slight bit of play in the end of the rack.
So, back to Yota tech. Found a post about doing your own alignment, and decided to try it as a last ditch effort. Lo and behold, with a string down the front and rear tire, they had my tires toed out about an inch each way and slightly to the left. 15mins later with things back in line and the wheels straight, the truck runs straight as an arrow.
My lesson? Alignments can be done by the do it yourselfer on these trucks no problem and the mechanics out there these days seem to be braindead.
For anyone wanting to try it, this procedure works

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=tie+rod

Thanks to all the members here for posting there info, now if I could just figure out how to repair the left seatbelt pretensioner myself and get the airbag light off, I'd never have to go back to the shops.
Jesse
Old 06-27-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ya when i had my truck in for the 50N recall the stealership ˟˟˟˟˟ed me over on the alignment. same thing stupid tech had about +3 deg toe (out) .... took it to a shop i trust to do the job right. $64 later it drives great again back at -1 deg toe.

I sent a letter to the stealership.... got a check in the mail like a month later.....

point is... stealership is no better than the firestone on the corner if you ask me.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yah, not sure how I should proceed with the stealership. Either just cut my losses, or try and recoup something. On one hand, would just like to stay way away from there, but would also like for someone else not to have to go through what I have been though. May have to try the letter thing. Not sure whether to send it to the stealership or Toyota Canada.