Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my 95 4runner is slower than the rest

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 95 4runner is slower than the rest

hi guys
I was reading posts earlier but I still feeel I need to post my issue with my truck.
I know that the 2nd generation 4runners are slow but mine is even slower than the rest. My problem started a few monts ago. I was drinving home one night when my truck completely stalled. No matter what I did I could not get it started. I had it towed for service and was told that my timing belt had cut. Anyway after the belt was replace a noticed that my truck was a little bit slower than before. 2 weeks later I had to take a drive on rt 280 where I had to go up this hill and I could nt get the truck to go above 45miles per hour at 3000 rpm. To make matters worse another 2nd gen 4runner went right past me as i was stuggling to go uphill. Last week I went in for an oil change and the next day it seemed to get even slower. I had to drive to work today and I can barely get the vehicle up to 60miles per hour on a flat and level grade. I drove about 30mins to work and not once did I get above 60 miles per hour. When I step on the gas the transmossion downshifts and rpms increase but my speed still remains the same. Has anyone had this problem before. I need help asap.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

im in the process of a tune up for my 2nd gen 4Runner. so far i've replaced my fuel filter which i dont know the last time thats been done. i noticed a little difference with that. tomorrow im putting in new plugs (NGK platinums), plug wires, cap and rotor. when is the last time its had a tune up?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 PM

Oil change - 1week ago
spark plugs ( bosch platinum), Spark plug wires ( have life time warranty from autozone - replace every time I change plugs),distrubitor cap and rotor - 4months ago
air filter - 2 months
fuel pump - about a year ago
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM

Is your extra loss of power related to the timing belt change or is it just coincidence? Hmmmm. I guess it's possible that the person who did your timing belt didn't get one of your cams timed correctly. But I would bet on coincidence. If I were you, I'd do an all out tune up. Things always seem to have a funny way of breaking in an order that leads you to believe they are related, but in fact they are not.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:50 PM

Without driving it for myself and getting a first hand feel its hard to assume the many things it could be. But you say your RPMs get up there. If they didnt I would want to assume major engine issues. But not the case right. I am wanting to point a blind finger in the direction of the transmission slipping. Auto or manual? If its an auto I would want to look at the trans fluid on the stick and look to see how dirty it is or if it smells burnt. If its a manual I would want to feel the clutch pedal for firmness or major pedal play. thats my assumption but by no means is it me telling you that is a diagnosis. tell us if you have a manual or auto and its a start.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dluvr22
( bosch platinum),
That might be your problem right there. Those things are garbage. Your fuel filter should also be changed. I noticed a difference when I changed mine a while back.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
There is a chance that your cams were not timed properly. Also check everything in the front of your engine that could have not been put back properly when the timing belt was changed. I think the V6 has fixed ignition timing, but if not then adjust it because it will most likely be off after a new belt has been installed. If you cranked it for a long time after the belt broke, then there is a chance of engine damage. The 3.0 is not an interferrence engine, but if there is excessive carbon build up or something similar than damage could be the case.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Are you getting white smoke at all? One guy said his power sucked and a week later he finally figured out his head gaskett was blown. Check your oil and see if it looks normal.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member

I vote for Bike4Miles answer, mine had the same symptoms, head gasket blew a couple weeks later.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do as Chicken Lover said and change your fuel filter FIRST. I run Bosch Platinum plugs with good results. Check your oil and see if it's milky. Also check your radiator and see if it's lower than normal.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Do as Chicken Lover said and change your fuel filter FIRST. I run Bosch Platinum plugs with good results. Check your oil and see if it's milky. Also check your radiator and see if it's lower than normal.
Some people are running them but I don't suggest the Bosch plugs.....I would swap for OEM NGKs or Densos. Also look at the plugs when you pull them out because if one looks different than the rest, there is likely a problem with that cylinder. Regular tune up stuff first (air filter, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires...you can check resistance before replacing, clean the throttle body, run some Techtron or BG44 injector cleaner and make sure all the fluids are a proper levels....this means the tranny too if you have an auto!) and see if it helps. If you are still having trouble post back and people will help narrow down the problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:44 AM

Actually it was the fuel filter I change a year ago. The pump went south a few months before. As for the smoke there is a little when it is cold but when the engine warms up and sitting in idle there is none whatsoever. I do notice smoke while driving but that is normal.

the tranny is automatic so that could be an issue.
Someone also mentioned the torque converter but I'm not sure because I can feel it kick in at about 50 miles per hour.
Any thoughts on the catalytic converter? I'm thinking breathing problems on this engine.

I was also thinking of going back to OEM plugs because I can feel it misfiring a little even though I had just put the bosch platinums in.

About the timing belt thing I was also wondering if The timing was not adjusted properly when the belt was replaced. Anyway I plan on taking it in for a full tuneup to eliminate some possibilities instead of doing the tuneup myself. Afterwards I will change the cat converter. The auto parts store around here sell a replacement for around 50 bucks and I could put that on myself If these do not work then I'll start looking at the tranny. But so far as I can tell the tranny shifts smoothly through all gears. It just takes longer to shift because it takes longer to get up to speed.

Did I mention the truck is sluggish in all gears and not just at highway speeds. It takes me approx. 30s to get from 0 to 25miles. I don't dare try overtaking any cars at stoplights on the road anymore.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

But have you checked the oil yet to see if it looks milky? I have never heard of a catalitic converter causing these type of symptoms. I really don't think that is it. Especially since it all happend overnight more or less. My money is on head gasket, Poor spark, or timeing that is way way off.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I 'll bet it's the improper installation of the timing belt. one wrong tooth is all it takes. take it back to where you had it done.
Not being able to go past 65mph on flat section is pretty bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Banned

Sounds like A Fuel injection or ignition Problem to me. But take it back to the guy who fixed that timing belt and make sure it's done right. DON'T drive it any more then you absolutely have to, If it is a timing issue you can Harm your engine!

Good luck and let us all know what you find out! :monkey:

Last edited by NathanBERG; 01-14-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 AM

My quick opinion, does it feel like the engine is just unable to flow enough, 'cause it could be a catalytic converter melt-down, I've seen those go out once or twice on Porsche's, but not yet on any 4Runners. That's what my money would be on, and if that's not it, you might want to look at what kind of gas you run because that could have lead to this problem or at least contributed to it. Maybe excessive carbon buildup could be partially to blame. It sounds like this could get kinda ugly though. Sorry for the bad luck
Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM

I usually put super in the fuel tank. Once my girlfriend put regular in there without my knowledge and as soon as I drove it I noticed the difference . It ran slugglish for a weeek and I had to put that fuel system cleaner in there before it ran smoothly again. I am hoping it would not come to a major engine situation. I spent 35000 to rebuild the engine after one of the connecting rods in the engine broke 2 weeeks after i bought it. The extended warranty would not pay for it and the dealer said it was not their problem. That was 2 years ago. Back then I did not know I could have done an engine swap or else I would have spent the money on that instead.
Wish me luck!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:25 PM

Alright, so it is definetly not the fuel issue, which is great, I also use 93 octane. That also seems like a lot to pay for a rebuilt engine, but the after the rebuild, did it seem like it started running sluggishly then? This could be because of something they did, or like ChickenLover said earlier, these could just seem to be related and just be a string of breakages that are coincidental. And yes, good luck.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You should not have to use 93 octane in a 3.0 V6. If you cannot run 87 octane without having problems then you most likely have excessive carbon buildup.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:17 PM

Is this normal. These are pictures I took of my catalytic converter. It was a lot hotter than that but by the time I got the camera out with a 36 degree weather it had cooled down somewhat. Also I checked my oil and it is still clean and not milky.

Quick Reply: my 95 4runner is slower than the rest