Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner has a weird suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4Runner has a weird suspension.

Ok, driving my 4Runner has the weirdest suspension Ive ever experienced. It is so so so soft. It bounced around like crazy. Are all the 4Runners like that? Or do I need shocks or what? Is there any way to make it a more solid and firm ride? I was driving a F-250 of my dads for a while and it is so hard. It rode like a dump truck. The body didnt bounce at all. Its kinda hard to describe the situation I guess. Basically I want a very firm and stiff suspension. If theres a way to do that, can you please share the info?

And BTW, how can I get the back to level up a lil with the front? I dont wanna go overboard cause I cant stand it when the back is higher, I like the front a tad higher but not much. Mine sits like it had a 4,000lb trailer attached.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Maybe some coil spacers for the back?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Some HD bilstein shocks, addco sway bars front and rear. 100% better.

Get some 10mm coil spacers for the back to raise it a bit higher.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Will the sway bars make it have less ground clearance? What kind should I look into and where from?

Ill also look into the coil spacers.

Edit: what about a setup like this:

Front and rear shocks: http://www.performanceproducts4truck...&cid=19&sid=62

Leveling/stiffening: http://www.performanceproducts4truck...&cid=19&sid=28

Last edited by ThorMX17; 10-29-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM

The sway bars are ONLY made from ADDCO, but you dont order them from addco, you have to order them from an online dealer. They dont do anything to ground clearance. They help a lot with the body roll side to side while cornering/towing and help a bit with the nose dive while harsh braking.

I've had them on my runner for about 5 months now, and they are awesome. They make the ride a bit stiffer overall too. I have stock new toyota shocks too.

Just remember, theres only so much you wanna stiffen up, these arent sports cars!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM

swaybars don't affect your ride height, they are for handling. to produce less side to side lean
Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 PM

well, i dont want it stiffer to race it. i dont drive it very hard. i just hate the way it bounces around. my 94 pickup i had was perfect. it didnt bounce around alot but it was a fairly smooth and comfortable ride. it had a 4" trailmaster lift on it though.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM

i think its just 4runners in general. i've driven so many 3'rd gens and tacoma's. they all have that bouncy up and down ride. maybe it's overy stiff springs, maybe it's the shocks that aren't dampening enough.

i donno yet. i think its the springs that aren't engineered well.

my sis has a 98 4cyl with new bilstiens and i have a 96 6cyl. both have the same ride. i've driven 99's, 02's, all kinds. i did notice the 01/02's are slightly better. but still, it's like i just went thru war. lol

oh only good ride was a 99 tacoma prerunner with the trd package (had bilstiens). maybe i'll try finding those front springs and swap them out. that was the smoothest so far
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I like mine:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...pplers-148116/

Paul
Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 PM

i think you're right it may be a too stiff suspension. get out and bounce on the front end and see if you have any play. it may be the tires acting as your suspension because it is too stiff. check it out before you do anything. see how much travel you get in you arms.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by racermp
i think its just 4runners in general. i've driven so many 3'rd gens and tacoma's. they all have that bouncy up and down ride. maybe it's overy stiff springs, maybe it's the shocks that aren't dampening enough.

i donno yet. i think its the springs that aren't engineered well.

my sis has a 98 4cyl with new bilstiens and i have a 96 6cyl. both have the same ride. i've driven 99's, 02's, all kinds. i did notice the 01/02's are slightly better. but still, it's like i just went thru war. lol

oh only good ride was a 99 tacoma prerunner with the trd package (had bilstiens). maybe i'll try finding those front springs and swap them out. that was the smoothest so far
Read this post for my full opinion: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...pplers-148116/

I think that that the Springs are too soft & the damping of the OEM Shocks are almost non existent. Springs without damping will bounce up and down. Think "Slinky". The Toyota Bilsteins have their own valving, aftermarket Bilsteins are stiffer. The best ride will be obtained by matching springs and shocks.

Paul
Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can NOT compare a F250 to a 4Runner, the F250 has what i call "Drama Queen" suspension, in other words when it hits bumps it makes a big deal out of small bumps. It is really annoying and i really want to take a baseball bat to my F250. the 4Runner has a soft suspension for car like ride but if it is soft in the rear i say get some PP or OME springs and new shocks all around.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 10-30-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

You need new coils and shocks. My 02 was doing the same thing and i replaced the coils and shocks with OME. Very pleased and a much better ride.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Yes to the last post. You need stiffer coil springs and new heavy duty shocks. The fronts are struts so you are a little stuck their unless Old Man EMU can help you like he said.

Coils springs naturally have a bouncy ride. I now have the best setup because the first gen runner's have rear leaf, front torsion bar. That's the way I like it. 2nd gen have rear coil, front torsion, 3rd gen coils all around tying to achieve that car like ride. Not good for guys like me but it sells runners to urban going folk.

I have owned all three and any suspension that is not in top shape rides poorly. My current 1st gen hits the stops every bump so rides poorly. I plan to get my rear springs re-arched soon. Adding a leaf raises and stiffens the suspension but I want the factory ride again.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Ill probably go with Performance Products springs and HD Bilsteins. I need new springs all around too right? If so, Ill have to find the front part number too. The ones I posted a link for were for the rear only I believe.

EDIT: Never mind, the set of springs is a set of 4. So, thats what Ill go with then. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ThorMX17; 10-30-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM

the hd bilsteins are a good idea, as well as new springs especially if you have the "sagging butt" that you say you do. and my dad also has an F250 diesel 4x4, and yeah they ride really firm, but what do you expect? it's a truck made for towing upwards of 7-8 tons without even knowing a trailer's hooked to it
Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 PM

The Bilstein HDs will firm up your ride significantly, I doubt you will need a different swaybar if you add them. You also at least need new rear coils, changing all 4 is a good idea.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
the hd bilsteins are a good idea, as well as new springs especially if you have the "sagging butt" that you say you do. and my dad also has an F250 diesel 4x4, and yeah they ride really firm, but what do you expect? it's a truck made for towing upwards of 7-8 tons without even knowing a trailer's hooked to it

i know that they are made for that. i love the way they ride. thats how every truck and suv should ride i think. my truck wasnt bought to be a luxury ride. it is used to pull my atv and go off the pavement. the reason i didnt buy a truck is that when the drunk idiot hit my 94 pickup insurance didnt give me enough money to get a good tacoma or pickup. theyre very hard to find down here in decent shape.

btw, will i need a new panhead bar or whatever thats called. the adjustable one? the springs wont lift it that much will they?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ThorMX17
i know that they are made for that. i love the way they ride. thats how every truck and suv should ride i think. my truck wasnt bought to be a luxury ride. it is used to pull my atv and go off the pavement. the reason i didnt buy a truck is that when the drunk idiot hit my 94 pickup insurance didnt give me enough money to get a good tacoma or pickup. theyre very hard to find down here in decent shape.

btw, will i need a new panhead bar or whatever thats called. the adjustable one? the springs wont lift it that much will they?
If you get the Performance Products springs, you won't need a new panhard rod. the lift will only be about 1". Not enough to worry about.

Paul
Old 10-31-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HD bilstiens fronts and rear,rear OME 906,springs,Addco front bar,poly steering buishings made my 4runner drive like a totally differant vehical...Very noticable from the front with just the struts...Almost,I dare to say,BMWish...

I didn't want a lift,The OME 906's out back with the stock front springs, give it a slight rake(does raise the rear)..which I like..also they hold up well when I load the cargo area with gear,and they are progressive rate springs,Not linear like the stockers,so they do not bounce the ass end all over the place over bumps.

Last edited by 97ltd4x4; 10-31-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner has a weird suspension.