Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My '02 T4R Sport w/ SL, 285s & Basket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '02 T4R Sport w/ SL, 285s & Basket

Hey guys,

I've had my 4Runner since Dec and haven't gotten around to cleaning it up nicely and taking some pictures to share but I had the time this week. We recently moved to Kelowna, BC so it was a good excuse to try and find a nice scenic background to shoot as well.

Some detail and thoughts:
  • The paint is "Pearl Red" and these pictures just don't do the color justice. The guy who owned it before me was the head painter at a reputable body shop and wanted his 4Runner to be a different color than all the other ones. As far as I can tell, the paint job is very high quality as it doesn't chip easily and you can see that all the moulding and trim was taken off prior to being painted
  • It has OME struts front and back (although I wish I could figure out what model of OME struts are front and back)and coil spacers up front which look like the old Daystar spacers. I can't tell what kind of springs are in it though. The front tires will just nick the inside of the fender flares when turning and compressing the wheel and I would like to figure out a way to add just a little extra clearance so that I don't rip the fender flares off. Bodly lift perhaps but that seems like a lot of work for just an extra inch of clearance. There wasn't a longer panhard bar or bracket added nor were the sway bars drop kits installed when the lift was done so this is now on my to do lift along with the diff drop kit (just for piece of mind).
  • I've since added a trucool tranny cooler and bypassed the one in the rad. I pulled 2,000lbs 1200kms through the mountains and the tranny oil temp never exceeded 210F and usually sat around 180-190F. I know this becuase I've installed a ScanGuage II just below the head unit with a bracket that I made.
  • The wheels were painted silver and I'm very impressed with how durable the wheel paint is.
  • I wish I could find some option for mud guards of fill panels to protect the paint from debris coming off the front tires but there just isn't enough clearance
  • It has weathertech digital fit floormats in the front, back and cargo area
  • Rola Roof Basket on the factory racks
  • I'm just about to order the short tube style Defiant light bar and 3 Hella Rallye Compact 4000 Black lights (2 fogs, 1 driving beam pattern). I know the defiant light bar is pricey but I've seen one in persona and the quality is superb plus I'm not a welder, I don't want to drill holes in the bumper and I think a black light bar with 3 black lights would look really good on this truck with all the black accents.
  • I also plan on ordering some seat covers from GTCovers.com. Likely the Endura fabric which is waterproof which will be nice for when we go to the beach and then get back into the truck all sandy with wet swim shorts.

Hope you enjoyed! Questions and comments are welcome!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 AM

nice looking 4runner dude! paint color looks great bc its different then the typical ones on here but look like ur mods are off to a great start... If u plan to keep the stock front bumper u should try finding some fogs or infills bc it looks kinda weird to have empty gaps to me personally.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
nice looking 4runner dude! paint color looks great bc its different then the typical ones on here but look like ur mods are off to a great start... If u plan to keep the stock front bumper u should try finding some fogs or infills bc it looks kinda weird to have empty gaps to me personally.
Thanks man. I agree about the fog light holes. The casing of the original fogs is so corroded that I can't get it open to replace the burnt out bulbs. Rallylights.com, the site that I'm ordering my hella compact 4000s from, also sells these:

I think these would be a direct replacement for the OEM fogs?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM

ya they are direct replacements but are pricey... $55 each seems kinda steep bc im sure u could find some stock ones that ppl are getting rid of for cheaper.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I am about to order these mud flaps for my 4runner.

http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportru...lashgaurds.htm
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by rjaudi
I am about to order these mud flaps for my 4runner.

http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportru...lashgaurds.htm
Hey rjaudi,

I've seen those ones in the past but I don't have any room to mount a mud flap on the inner wheel well as I already nick the fender walls as it is...
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
ya they are direct replacements but are pricey... $55 each seems kinda steep bc im sure u could find some stock ones that ppl are getting rid of for cheaper.
I would definitely like to purchase a used set if possible but I've been watching the classifieds here and ebay and I haven't seen any come up...
Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM

ya i guess theyre kinda hard to find... i wish i had the money to get an ARB bc then i could sell u mine.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM

looks good... thats a lot of RED
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Nice truck man!

I've got a used set of OEM fogs that I'll make you a good deal on. I replaced them with the Hella Micro DEs you linked to above. The Hellas are a good bit nicer light output (and also more expensive).

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by fireball
Nice truck man!

I've got a used set of OEM fogs that I'll make you a good deal on. I replaced them with the Hella Micro DEs you linked to above. The Hellas are a good bit nicer light output (and also more expensive).

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.
Aren't the factory fog lights Hella Micro DE just made for Toyota?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Nice rig, very clean!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL? I'm not fully understanding the title completely? scooped lid?

gorgeous ride! gorgeous locale too.

Outstanding paint work- that original owner sure knew what he was doing.

I just did 1" body lift for the very reason of being able to clear front flaps. Gladly paid my Yota guy to do the install for me. You may want to consider doing the poly body mount bushings while at it to justify the cost.4crawler.com outstanding service and attention to detail. Yes it does get a bit complicated so be sure you know what all you are getting into.

Now just searching for the best flaps. Hearing that 04 Tacoma flaps should fit.

Thanks for sharing the pics! what a beauty you have there.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 08-05-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
SL? I'm not fully understanding the title completely? scooped lid?

gorgeous ride! gorgeous locale too.

Outstanding paint work- that original owner sure knew what he was doing.

I just did 1" body lift for the very reason of being able to clear front flaps. Gladly paid my Yota guy to do the install for me. You may want to consider doing the poly body mount bushings while at it to justify the cost.4crawler.com outstanding service and attention to detail. Yes it does get a bit complicated so be sure you know what all you are getting into.

Now just searching for the best flaps. Hearing that 04 Tacoma flaps should fit.

Thanks for sharing the pics! what a beauty you have there.
Thanks Ron for the compliments. FYI (for your information) SL = suspension lift, BL = body lift ;-)
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doh thanks cj rezz now I know...