Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Muffler questions/recommended shops in bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler questions/recommended shops in bay area?

I been wanting to switch to a free flow muffler ever since I got my runner and want to do it sometime soon. I checked out corey's exhaust page a few times listening to the tones but want some more opinions. I want one that sounds close to the trd/borla exhaust because I have heard that in person and it seemed perfect - not too loud but not too soft. Do you guys know which muffler would sound closest to it? Right now I'm leaning towards the 18" magnaflow but I'm not quite sure yet. Any input would be great. Also does anybody know a good shop to get this done at around the bay area, perferably in san francisco but I'd be willing to drive around to get quality work. Lastly about how much is this gonna cost me average wise?? Tuition and rent have killed so much of my funds so hopefully it wont be too much (can you believe they raised tuition at our school by 600 dollars per quarter?!?!?!? i now gotta pay 1900 bucks a quarter for school!!!geez takes away from my mod-a-runner fund) Thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

Henryv,

I can't help you in the Bay area, and I don't know what model/year truck you have but you can check this thread and the TRD Stainless Steel Exhaust cat back.

impulsbrklyn even hosted a mpeg clip with sound if you want to hear it. If he took it down I'll send it to you if you want to PM me.

I love it. Not loud and no ricer bling sound. Throaty inside and more power.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

If you haven't seen it already, Corey's page has a bunch of sound clips with various exhausts.

I have the 18" Magnaflow and LOVE it! I picked mine up from someone here on the boards (slightly used but in perfect condition) for around $40 I think...don't remember.

As far as the install, there's tons of muffler shops, and you can haggle the price. I had mine installed for $25 down here on the Peninsula (San Carlos).
Old 09-05-2003, 06:36 AM

Re: Muffler questions/recommended shops in bay area?

Originally posted by Henryv
I checked out corey's exhaust page a few times listening to the tones but want some more opinions.
C'mon Tom, get wit da program!!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Woody, thanks for reminding me of your thread. I read it a while back but before the vid was up. I have a 98 runner but hopefully your vid will give me some ideas. Oh and Tom, how does your magnaflow sound from inside? Not too loud or soft I hope. I liked how the 18" sounded on the clip from Corey's site but that was from the outside. If it were just up to me, it wouldnt be that big a deal but I drive my parents around sometimes so I need something thats loud enough to satisfy me yet soft enough that my paretns dont get a headache and complain. thanks again.