Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mudflaps & sliders

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mudflaps & sliders

Hey all,

I'm planning to install some sliders on a grey '01 SR5 4Runner. It has color matching fender flares and a running board right now. I have rear mudflaps.

I was concerned about rocks & chips pelting the side of the rig after removing the running boards. Then I see that some people do have front mudflaps -- but it seems these only go with those that have black fender flares?

Does that mean that mudflaps only come in black and I can't add a FRONT mudflap to my grey Runner? ( a grey mudflap, anyways).
Old 04-17-2004, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

To be honest, I don't run mudflaps or runningboards and I don't have a problem with rocks flying up and chipping the paint. I'm ordering my sliders this week and I believe that's all the protection I'll need . As for your question, I don't believe anyone makes a grey mudflap, and I know Toyota won't have one. If you're really concerned I would purchase some black ones and deal with it. I think the guys with the factory limited flares used Tacoma front mudflaps and retrofitted them to their Runners. Do a search and see what you can find.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:41 AM

I just came in from putting front flaps on my 4Runner, like five minustes ago. I put sliders on a few weeks ago and they replaced my factory running boards. Since removing the boards, my 4Runner has been plastered with debris from mud to dead worms.
I got the elcheapo black Grabolski's with the 5% HP increasing 4X4 logo's.
My 4Runner is Dune with the big LTD-style color-matched flares and these flaps look fine. I think that color-matched would look kinda silly but that's just my opinion.
Mike
Old 04-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4FonZ
Hey all,

I'm planning to install some sliders on a grey '01 SR5 4Runner. It has color matching fender flares and a running board right now. I have rear mudflaps.

I was concerned about rocks & chips pelting the side of the rig after removing the running boards. Then I see that some people do have front mudflaps -- but it seems these only go with those that have black fender flares?

Does that mean that mudflaps only come in black and I can't add a FRONT mudflap to my grey Runner? ( a grey mudflap, anyways).
The factory flaps are only gray half way down (because of the molded transition to the flare) anyway. They are black on the bottom half, no?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:44 AM

Not to nit pic, but if you are putting on sliders, chances are you will be in the rocks playing, so who cares about paint? Or is it just for looks?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:04 AM

Ah well...I found a pretty good solution, similar to goldtaco's...

Mudflap & sliders
Old 04-18-2004, 07:46 AM
CTB

Originally Posted by Jonathan
To be honest, I don't run mudflaps or runningboards and I don't have a problem with rocks flying up and chipping the paint. I'm ordering my sliders this week and I believe that's all the protection I'll need . As for your question, I don't believe anyone makes a grey mudflap, and I know Toyota won't have one. If you're really concerned I would purchase some black ones and deal with it. I think the guys with the factory limited flares used Tacoma front mudflaps and retrofitted them to their Runners. Do a search and see what you can find.
Gettin' sliders huh? Who are you getting them from?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sportJr
Not to nit pic, but if you are putting on sliders, chances are you will be in the rocks playing, so who cares about paint? Or is it just for looks?
i painted mine to protect em from rust since they came unpainted. im guessing most sliders come unpainted. but dont quote me on that.