Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

MR2 airbox swap-performance mod???

Old 03-09-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR2 airbox swap-performance mod???

Was told today that the airbox setup and mass air sensor from an 88'-89' MR2 would be a direct swap for a 22R (EFI) Toyota truck. Supposedly the MR2 is rated alot higher horsepower and thus needs alot better air flow capabilities for that engine and if you hooked it up, pulled the EFI fuse for a couple of minutes then reinserted it, the computer would automatically adjust for the higher air intake. As long as you didn't have a restrictive exhaust system downstream of the engine, I don't know why it wouldn't give an added horsepower gain. I looked at an MR2 today and indeed the setup looks like it had the exact same electrical connector and bolt pattern for the MAS setup on the airbox in my 92' extracab. Has anybody tried this swap for the performance gain? Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slymule
Was told today that the airbox setup and mass air sensor from an 88'-89' MR2 would be a direct swap for a 22R (EFI) Toyota truck. Supposedly the MR2 is rated alot higher horsepower and thus needs alot better air flow capabilities for that engine and if you hooked it up, pulled the EFI fuse for a couple of minutes then reinserted it, the computer would automatically adjust for the higher air intake. As long as you didn't have a restrictive exhaust system downstream of the engine, I don't know why it wouldn't give an added horsepower gain. I looked at an MR2 today and indeed the setup looks like it had the exact same electrical connector and bolt pattern for the MAS setup on the airbox in my 92' extracab. Has anybody tried this swap for the performance gain? Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work?
Okay, the computer can adjust for a larger amount of air, but how are you actually going to get that air. Simply putting in a larger MAS won't make the air magically get into the engine... at least I wouldn't think. I'd think the only reason to upgrade would be if you were pulling in so much air already that your stock MAS was being over-run.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:55 PM

You've got a point regarding more air getting to the engine but on the MR2 the engine is pulling air from the back of the vehicle vs getting it blown from the front into the intake as the trucks are getting it. I already did my own version of the airbox mod and I notice the low growl I now get when I step on the gas but how would you know if your stock MAS was being overrun or not. It's just a guess on my part, but maybe the stock MAS sensor in the trucks will only register so much intake whereas the MAS on the MR2 is set to register a higher volume.

Last edited by slymule; 03-09-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:59 PM

You've got a point regarding more air getting to the engine but on the MR2 the engine is pulling air from the back of the vehicle vs getting it blown from the front into the intake as the trucks are getting it. I already did my own version of the airbox mod and I notice the low growl I now get when I step on the gas but how would you know if your stock MAS was being overrun or not. It just a guess but maybe the stock MAS sensor in the trucks will only register so much intake whereas the MAS on the MR2 is set to register a higher volume.
Well, aren't the supercharged guys still using factory MAS? If they are, and you're n/a, there's NO WAY you could over-run the factory MAS. Also, I know for my old car, it was possible to double the HP on it with the factory MAS. Above that and people started swapping in LS-1 MASs.

The MAS will read as much air as comes though it (until it's over-run) son there's not the possibility that they can be "set to register" a certain volume. They're just counters pretty much.

EDIT: Oops, haha, forgot you're talking 22R. Is there a diff b/w the turbo and the n/a MAS? If not, then i'd say you're safe. There's also guys running cams and other internal mods that I assume are on the factory MAS, so if you're basically stock, I wouldn't think this would be an issue at all.

Last edited by My99; 03-09-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:59 PM

You kinda lost me when you wrote "Is there a diff b/w the turbo and the n/a MAS?" Uhhh....I dunno.

What I do know is I'm basically stock with an airbox mod and a couple of unneeded "smog" deletions.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You kinda lost me when you wrote "Is there a diff b/w the turbo and the n/a MAS?" Uhhh....I dunno.

What I do know is I'm basically stock with an airbox mod and a couple of unneeded "smog" deletions.
I'm not sure about the MR2 AFM but I do know about the Supra AFM from an 82. That is a direct fit PnP. It has a 3"inlet and 3"outlet, unlike the 22r inlet which is a small rectangle. I will look on the other board and see if I can find the post and put up a link so you can compare the info with what you heard about the MR2. Do you happen to know the P/N that is on the MR2 AFM. I'll get back to you.

Last edited by PirateFins; 03-10-2004 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the posting from Off Road.com message board about the supra afm. If you read the post there is some good info there. Notice the pics about half way down the 1st page that shows the part #'s for the Supra AFM from a 82. Hope that helps.

Click me for post
Old 03-10-2004, 06:07 AM

The reason i ask if the 22RE-T ran the same MAS as the non turbo is to establish what the boundaries of the factory MAS are. Obviously, if they can run it in a turbo application, it should be fine for as much power as you can get out of an n/a application, that's all.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(you mean VAFM [vane air flow meter] not MAF )

Now the BIG question....

Will it work for the 3.slow, if the 3vze already has a very loose exhuast?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Interesting reading on the Supra swap. I don't have much knowledge regarding the swap other than I was told that it would increase horsepower. I could buy the part for $50. but moneys tight these days and theres nothing wrong with my stock part. I was planning on filing it as a 'future mod' if anybody knew for sure that it would increase the horsepower.

My99 - don't know if the turbo runs the same MAS as the 22R thats non turbo'd. Can't help you there. I'm pretty new to Toyota's and just trying to soak up as much info as I can. Wish I had the extra dough to try it out but buying my new Toy pretty much broke the bank. :^(
Old 03-10-2004, 07:58 PM

If you want some quick cheap power, I'd look at an electric fan (taurus fan mod). I don't know if its been done on a 4cylinder yet, but getting that stagnant weight off the engine helps improve power. Taurus fan is only like $36 as well.