Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mounting of rear backup/auxiliary lights... (opinions wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting of rear backup/auxiliary lights... (opinions wanted)

hey guys, i just mounted the swing away tire carrier on my 2nd gen, and now i need to relocate some backup lights, i dont really care for the stock location on those models... couple locations i was thinking about were...

1inside the cargo area, up right in the corner (shown in picture)
2 small set of rectangular/square lights attached to the trailer hitch, either side.. not using the receiver.

using those little lights from canadian tire.
(look kinda like these blue ones here, but they are supposed to glow white)

only concerns about the little lights is that they might not be bright enough? they're supposed to be driving lights, so im assuming they would be ok.. the name was 'phantom' or 'scorcher' or something like that, same name as walmarts switches, and wiring.. kinda also looking for some reviews on the product.

Last edited by green91runner; 04-25-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:19 PM

I kinda like the ones in side the cargo area a long as they don't take up too much space. Which ones at Cambodian Tire are they? May go pick some up myself. Don't remember if you have a princess auto or not, cause they have some good deals on little lights ( Hella optilux) that would be okay if they aren't mounted outside where the good old salt will get them. How does the tire carrier look? Did the install go good? I may be heading back that way soon so maybe I'll see your truck in T-Bay.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've tried inside the cargo area and didn't like it. Too much glare. I put mine on top of the factory roof rack.

Also, since you have the tire carrier, that wouldn't be a bad place either.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Babypig
I kinda like the ones in side the cargo area a long as they don't take up too much space. Which ones at Cambodian Tire are they? May go pick some up myself. Don't remember if you have a princess auto or not, cause they have some good deals on little lights ( Hella optilux) that would be okay if they aren't mounted outside where the good old salt will get them. How does the tire carrier look? Did the install go good? I may be heading back that way soon so maybe I'll see your truck in T-Bay.
install went great.. once i finally got the carrier back in shape (picked it up at the junkyard for $40, then spent another $150 on diff things that werent repairable). still need to take care of the tailgate, i opted not to use the 'black trim', that comes on those models, so now i need to weld in some new steel.
the little ones im talking about were only at walmart, canadian tire didnt have anything that small, only thing they had that i was interested in was the 'oe blazer' lights, which are a great price. no, no princess auto here.. whats the price on the hella optilux? the lil ones at walmart are $40, but im pretty sure you dont get a switch with them. as for which ones they are, i cant remember the name come in a small plastic package, not shaped like a box. with the name 'scorcher'? again, not sure how bright they are, would definetely test them before i mounted, although they are 'driving lights'

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
I've tried inside the cargo area and didn't like it. Too much glare. I put mine on top of the factory roof rack.

Also, since you have the tire carrier, that wouldn't be a bad place either.
yea, i figured it would be too much glare, if i were to put them inside they would be on a switch only, not wired to the 'reverse', my rear window is tinted pretty dark, and i usually have to roll it down to see anything anyway.. kinda why i thought in the cargo area.
i was thinking of mounting on the tire carrier, but i can't figure out where would be a good spot, its not symmetrical, lol... so i was thinking a rectangular flood light just above the license plate?

Last edited by green91runner; 04-23-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Mount the lights inside the bumper. Make a template and use a jig saw to cut out the opening. Mount you light and it will be safe from debris and you wont drag it on any rocks.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 PM

yea, i thought of that too... if i did go that way i'd get the OE Blazer Chrome Lights for $5 more... only, im not sure if i want to cut into my new bumper, lol... thx for reminding me about that option though
Old 04-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Even with my window down there was still a lot of glare. I even made shades around each light to try to reduce the glare in the cargo area, but ultimately, outside was much better for me.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM

i see, so it was reflecting off the side panels, etc? what kind of lights did you mount? if i did this i was going to try to mount the lights themselves so they were nearly touching the glass (as to get as little light inside as possible..)
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

The cheapy little walmart fog lights. I tried to get them as close to the glass as possible too, but I couldn't get them close enough. The shades were probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the glass.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 PM

well, crap.. lol, thought it was the coolest idea of the bunch... so much for that one i guess.

thx alot for the first hand info.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 PM

The optiluxes are 35 for a pair. Could you mount them under the bumper. The hellas are real small so if you had a trailer hitch on there they wouldn't go below the bottom of the hitch. Thats what i was thinking of doing. I was also looking at doig them inside, scofco has them done like that too i think. Have to think about it. If you want to look at the hellas i think princess has them online, i'd pick em up and send them for ya if you wanted. Just a thought anyways. I got lots of family in Port Arthur

Last edited by Babypig; 04-25-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a hitch? If so then you may can do what I did and buy the hitch mount backup light kit from Autozone. Mine was only 20 bucks and they work very well at night. My gripes about them though is the brackets are only held onto place with zip ties and the instructions tell you to wire it directly to the backup light wires. I wound up tack welding the brackets and wiring the lights straight to a switch, soon to have a 3 pole switch though.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 PM

yea, i do have a hitch.. completely forgot about that option been pondering it for so long... thx for reminding me! hmm.. thx for the offer babypig, think you could find a pic of those lights?(see if i can find em locally) im in port arthur, so you should know the postal code for shipping, lol...

yea, no autozone here, think you could show a pick of those lights?

the only downside, which was discussed when i first thought about mounting them there is, the lower they are, the less distance the light will travel, i know... your backing up, no big deal.. but if you want to use em as auxialiary too, its kind of important.. right? or do you guys think its a non-issue? also, going to modify the list.. to the 2 ideas i really like..

i know robinhood explained the pitfalls of having them in the cargo, but i still think its a really innovative idea... might just stick em up there for a test, and return if they don't work like pleased.. too undecided yet.

Last edited by green91runner; 04-25-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Do you have a hitch? If so then you may can do what I did and buy the hitch mount backup light kit from Autozone. Mine was only 20 bucks and they work very well at night. My gripes about them though is the brackets are only held onto place with zip ties and the instructions tell you to wire it directly to the backup light wires. I wound up tack welding the brackets and wiring the lights straight to a switch, soon to have a 3 pole switch though.
I got those same lights. Except mine came from a marine parts dealer. They are boat trailer lights. Designed to be submerged, so water and the such should be no problem. great light outpiut for such a small light (55w). I mounted the bracket straight to on of the bolts that holds the corner of the bumper to the main part. Low profile. Hooked up to a switch. Comes with a nice wiriring harness too. The pic isn't great, but you can still see them there.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 AM

http://www.autobarn.net/helopperdriv.html

Thats what they look like and you can order off the site but i can't get to it at the moment. And they are only 35 at princess. TThere are some good little ones at Walmart too. I think I may do thoses as well. I also want to use them as a back off warning or dime your lights reminder. I do a lot of highway driving, and always have this problem.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mounted mine in the bumper. They are VERRY bright compared to stock and are wired through a relay to only come on when in reverse.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sludge
Mount the lights inside the bumper. Make a template and use a jig saw to cut out the opening. Mount you light and it will be safe from debris and you wont drag it on any rocks.
Anyone have and pics of this done in a factory 2nd gen bumper?