Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mounting the FTC1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting the FTC1

I've seen two places to mount the FTC1. One was under the blower motor on the passenger side foot well. It is partially visible and potentially under-foot (literally!).

The other was in the dash next to the passenger vent ... I think. I can't find that thread to check the picture for details. Anyway I tried to mount it there, but man, it is really tight and hard to mount.

Does anybody have any details on mounting it in these locations, or even any other?
Old 05-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

FTC Install Location

I just installed my FTC and am still looking for a good mounting location. I have a 2000 SR5/4WD/Auto (CA model) and can't find any room under the dash. The passenger kick-panel was recommended, no luck (already contained factory electronics). I was eyeballing the front/lower area under the console, beneath the ashtray. Unfortunately, that is packed with the factory amp, factory additional 12v outlets and the airbag sensor/controller. For now I have it dumped in the glove box.

I am curious if you found a good location?

Another question on the FTC1. I am getting a "whistle" from the connector where I "mended" the vacuum/boost line to attach to the FTC1. Are you getting any such noise? I thought it was because I originally ran a 3/16" line which was adapted down to the 1/8" line going to the FTC. I re-plumbed and ran a straight shot 1/8" line with a simple nylon mending fitting between the two 1/8" lines. Still the whistle. What am I missing?

Ideas?

THANKS!
Old 05-03-2003, 05:40 PM

The FTC box is an odd size that is hard to work with.

I installed mine between the passenger side duct that goes horizontal and the recirculation air intake. I had to flatten out the duct slightly to make it fit. Be sure to get a serial cable and connect it and route it into the glove box so you it will be accesable for updates.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 05-03-2003, 06:15 PM

I was just wondering what an FTC is?

Thanks

Last edited by Erich_870; 05-03-2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:25 PM

It is a piggy back computer made by www.SplitSec.com that controls the fuel and timing curves on your engine so you and retune your engine for your mods.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 05-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget - Does your FTC have the chatter/whistle? I am suspicious of the 1/8" hose mender connecting the short vacuum/boost hose with the FTC to the boost port, but wanted to verify that this isn't part of the receptor within the FTC.

THANKS!

btw - The FTC is awesome. I am pretty deep into changes to the MAPs, and anxious to get the 305cc injectors and get them installed. It was also great to resolve my load/ping problem.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:17 PM

FTC1 Mount

I ended up mounting the FTC1 in the dash.

When you enter the passenger side door and look at the "end" of the dash (i.e. where the airbag warning sticker is located, my FTC1 is inside between the "end" and the passenger vent duct, at an angle, so that the serial connector is near the fan motor.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:23 PM

FTC1 Map

Derrick,

You said you were deep into your map, but you don't have your 305 injectors yet installed. Why are you modifying the fuel map?
You're just modifying the stock set up?

If so, what is your method for tuning the map? Mark from SS said that typically one would get a driver while someone else would observe the map real-time and make notes for changing with the engine shut off. This seems rather inconvenient, so I haven't modified the map until I install my 305 injectors and MAF sensor. I didn't think it was worth the effort. Have you found out different?

Just curious.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:53 PM

Yep, all of them have a buzz noise under boost. I am convinced it is the MAP sensor inside the FTC. I have tested it with static pressure and no noise, so it must have something to do with the pulses from the impellers of the supercharger. I have also used other boxes with MAP sensors and none of them make any noise.

I have descussed this with Mark at Split Second and he wants someone with an FTC or ESC1 that has this buzz under boost to stop by his shop so he can listen to it. It may result in a slight design change to stop it from happening.

So, if any of you want to make a road trip to Split Second and have Mark sniff over the noise please give him a call and set it up.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 05-06-2003, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: FTC1 Map

Originally posted by ufjaz
You said you were deep into your map, but you don't have your 305 injectors yet installed. Why are you modifying the fuel map?
You're just modifying the stock set up?
I have no hands-on with the FTC-1, but from what I know it's similar in simple concept to the SMT-5/6. The folks that have installed that box have spent a good amount of time modifying the fuel maps even with the stock injectors. There is a ton of information buried in this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

The shorthand is that the fuel map runs rich on the top end with the sotck injectors, so we're using the box to lean it out.

If you're curious, a screenshot of the base maps that a couple of us are running is on page 16 of that thread.

Mark
Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

ufjaz,

I started with the timing map to correct the pinging problem I was encountering (really bad since the original install of my S/C). I am still working on changes to the fuel/injector map. I would be more than happy to share my findings once I get it a little more stabilized.

Per Gadget's response, I am in San Diego and Split Second is only a short drive from my home (a little over an hour). I may take Mark up on his offer to listen to the "buzz" under boost. It is a little annoying.

Hey, maybe that is a good excuse to go to a Magnaflo Muffler?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

FTC buzz noise - SOLVED

Originally posted by Gadget
Yep, all of them have a buzz noise under boost. I am convinced it is the MAP sensor inside the FTC. I have tested it with static pressure and no noise, so it must have something to do with the pulses from the impellers of the supercharger. I have also used other boxes with MAP sensors and none of them make any noise.

I have descussed this with Mark at Split Second and he wants someone with an FTC or ESC1 that has this buzz under boost to stop by his shop so he can listen to it. It may result in a slight design change to stop it from happening.

So, if any of you want to make a road trip to Split Second and have Mark sniff over the noise please give him a call and set it up.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I isolated the sound on my unit to definitely be where the hose from the S/C is connected to the FTC (not the MAP sensor in the unit).

I spoke with Mark a couple times and he hooked me up with one of the installers who told me to use the same physical tubing they are using. They gave me the supplier and I just got the tubing yesterday. Sure enough, I replaced the line from the S/C with the tubing (described below) and just inserted it "into" the black tubing on the FTC. Now the buzz is gone!

Here is the tubing info:
McMaster-Carr
Nylon 6 Tubing
.078" ID, 1/8" OD, .0235" wall thickness
part number 5173K14 (5173K262 replacement part number)
$6 for 100 feet
(562) 692-5911

I can't believe how quiet my passenger compartment is now!
Old 06-28-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can confirm the derricks noise reduction with the nylon tubing, I was running rubber vacume line and I had the buzzing noise then I switched to ARB 5mm blue line and the noise was reduced then I want to 1/8 o.d. nylon tubing and the noise went away.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:11 PM

I know this thread is a bit old, but I recently installed the URD kit and I have a wicked buzzing coming from the FTC/boost line. The URD kit came with a clear 1/8"OD hard nylon line that inserts into the FTC line, not sure if it is the same part as the McMaster one listed.
I tried Gadget's suggestion of making sure that the line is at a 90 degree angle where the tee is, but that didn't seem to help.

Noise/buzz is only present during boost, and most prominent at 2500-3500 rpm, though definately noticable above 3500 also.

My FTC is behind the instrument cluster, so it is a pain to get to. I took the dash apart once already and tried to secure the FTC rubber line, and the nylon line in the URD kit...didn't make much of a difference.

I might try ordering the McMaster line--is it still holding up?
Any other thoughts of eliminating the buzz?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

I chased that noise for a while with new connectors, various T's and at least 8 different tubing types before I just called SplitSecond and Mark told me the data on the McMaster tubing. That definitely stopped my noise and it never returned. I think I may still have some in my garage if you want me to drop some in an envelope to you? Just PM me or email me your address and how many feet you need. I know the sound can drive you crazy!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 3.4Runner
I know this thread is a bit old, but I recently installed the URD kit and I have a wicked buzzing coming from the FTC/boost line. The URD kit came with a clear 1/8"OD hard nylon line that inserts into the FTC line, not sure if it is the same part as the McMaster one listed.
I tried Gadget's suggestion of making sure that the line is at a 90 degree angle where the tee is, but that didn't seem to help.

Noise/buzz is only present during boost, and most prominent at 2500-3500 rpm, though definately noticable above 3500 also.

My FTC is behind the instrument cluster, so it is a pain to get to. I took the dash apart once already and tried to secure the FTC rubber line, and the nylon line in the URD kit...didn't make much of a difference.

I might try ordering the McMaster line--is it still holding up?
Any other thoughts of eliminating the buzz?
Can you describe exactly how you have the hard line connected to the boost port? What size pulley are you using?

Gadget
Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Can you describe exactly how you have the hard line connected to the boost port? What size pulley are you using?

Gadget
Tee is near the middle of the boost line (from boost port to FPR). There is a small (1-2") piece of rubber vacuum line attached at the Tee, and the nylon line is inserted into that. The nylon line leaves at a 90 degree angle (to the original hose from boost line to FPR), goes through hole in firewall next to the brake booster, and ends up inserted into the FTC rubber hose right behind the instrument cluster.
Initially the FTC rubber line was just sitting there, but now I have it taped to the unit in an unsuccessful attempt to help minimize the noise--i thought that maybe the rubber line at the FTC was the culprit.

I tried disconnecting the nylon line briefly (at the tee), and the noise/buzz completely disappears; reappear once plugged back in.

Using the stock pulley--6-7psi?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

I convinced myself that it couldn't possibly be the tubing and even had my brother in law machine a custom T from aluminum with sloped edges thinking it was some kind of a whistle from the connection. As a last ditch effort, I changed the tubing and it was just gone. The tubing is remarkably similar to what I was using, except no more noise!

I confirmed that I still have some if you want it.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by derrick92130
I convinced myself that it couldn't possibly be the tubing and even had my brother in law machine a custom T from aluminum with sloped edges thinking it was some kind of a whistle from the connection. As a last ditch effort, I changed the tubing and it was just gone. The tubing is remarkably similar to what I was using, except no more noise!

I confirmed that I still have some if you want it.
The tubing you are offering is the nearly the very same stuff that is included in the kits.

Gadget
Old 04-02-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 3.4Runner
Tee is near the middle of the boost line (from boost port to FPR). There is a small (1-2") piece of rubber vacuum line attached at the Tee, and the nylon line is inserted into that. The nylon line leaves at a 90 degree angle (to the original hose from boost line to FPR), goes through hole in firewall next to the brake booster, and ends up inserted into the FTC rubber hose right behind the instrument cluster.
Initially the FTC rubber line was just sitting there, but now I have it taped to the unit in an unsuccessful attempt to help minimize the noise--i thought that maybe the rubber line at the FTC was the culprit.

I tried disconnecting the nylon line briefly (at the tee), and the noise/buzz completely disappears; reappear once plugged back in.

Using the stock pulley--6-7psi?
Well it seems that the normal installation is not working for you. So, let try something different.

Two things work when all other things fail. One is a very small restrictor that is inserted into the vacuum line, but they are very hard to find and I am looking hard for a good source of these things. It is like a pill that is put in the line with a very small hole in it. These things do a great job of eliminating the buzz from the supercharger impeller noise.

Since that can be hard to come by, there is another thing that seems to do the trick.

Get another plastic 1/8" T fitting and place it in the line that is going to your FTC. Have the straight through part to into a section of rubber vacuum line that is about 4-5" long and plug the end of it. This provides a little resonator or muffler chamber to soak up those nasty impeller pluses that have made it that far already.

Now, on the T part that leaves the fitting at 90* again, connect the hard line to the FTC.

So, now you have the "magic" hard line that is supposed to be the cure all for this problem, and two 90 turns to get the boost signal to the FTC and a small resonating chamber.

Give that a try and if that damn buzz is still there, I will be simply amazed. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope this will be the trick for you.

Keep us updated.

Gadget

Quick Reply: Mounting the FTC1