Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

motor vac for fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
motor vac for fuel injectors

Does anybody know if the dealers use this machine? Also, what type of machine do dealers use for cleaning the fuel injectors? Thanks.

George
Old 04-14-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would have to call each dealer and ask them. They are independantly owned and probably don't even have anything like that.

You would be much better off finding a good independant shop and get it done right the first time instead of letting some parts changer touch your truck.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-14-2003, 10:26 AM

Thanks. The reason I asked is the dealer close to my house is saying that for cleaning the injectors, they will hook up a machine (don't know if it's motor vac) and run the cleaner through the fuel system for about 45-60 minutes. I'm planning to go to the dealer and see for myself if it's the motor vac cleaner and if it is, I think I'll just have them do it. I'm skeptical because the're only charging me $60. I'm trying to find a shop here in Jacksonville,Fl that has the motor vac and so far I haven't had any luck.

George
Old 04-14-2003, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by george16
Thanks. The reason I asked is the dealer close to my house is saying that for cleaning the injectors, they will hook up a machine (don't know if it's motor vac) and run the cleaner through the fuel system for about 45-60 minutes. I'm planning to go to the dealer and see for myself if it's the motor vac cleaner and if it is, I think I'll just have them do it. I'm skeptical because the're only charging me $60. I'm trying to find a shop here in Jacksonville,Fl that has the motor vac and so far I haven't had any luck.

George
Let me know when you find one, I haven't done any in depth looking yet in Gainesville, but now that my engine just hit 220,000 miles, I think it's time. LOL BTW - know of any good offroading areas that arent' nothing but mud?

Steve
Old 04-14-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
Let me know when you find one, I haven't done any in depth looking yet in Gainesville, but now that my engine just hit 220,000 miles, I think it's time. LOL BTW - know of any good offroading areas that arent' nothing but mud?

Steve
Steve,
Don't know any places yet. I've only been here in Jax area for a year and a half and 8 months of those are spent out at sea on deployment and work-ups. I'm stationed Mayport and so far I like Jacksonville. Anyway, as for the machine, it's not a motor vac as I suspected. Arlington Toyota has its own machine and I really don't know if it's as good as the motor vac. I let you guys know if I find one around this area.

George
Old 04-14-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: motor vac for fuel injectors

Originally posted by george16
Does anybody know if the dealers use this machine? Also, what type of machine do dealers use for cleaning the fuel injectors? Thanks.

George
Ya George. we just had that done to our mazda protege. They hook the machine up and it runs a cleaner through the injection system. It took an hour. It cost $85 Canadian. The girlfriend said it felt like it gained some power. I will have it done to my Taco soon.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:16 AM

Well, I went to the dealer today to check the machine that they use for cleaning fuel injectors and I found out that it wasn't the motorvac. It's just a little pipe with a can of fuel injector on its end and I politely told the service guy that I'm not going to have it done. So, I'm still looking around for a shop that has the motor vac. Any ideas? I'm in Jacksonville, FL. Thanks.

George
Old 04-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Most dealers including mine will use the "drip" method and BG44K which is a good cleaner.
I use to use it in my tank, but now use Amsoil injector cleaner.

http://www.bgprod.com/autofuel.html

It was probably this method your dealer wanted to do.

Some dealers charge around $100 to do it.
Todd had this done to his Honda he had, and it made a big difference.
But for the same price you can find the Motor Vac system at a foreign auto repair shop, or a specialty injector shop.

There are other machines out there similar to the Snap On! Motor Vac.
A local injection service shop by me uses a Canadian machine, and gets about $125 for the service.
It does the same thing as the Snap On! machine.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:34 AM

Corey, that's almost the same one. But the dealer's doesn't have the pressure gage on it and they are going to use a toyota brand of injector cleaner instead of BG44k. I don't know if that is really effective but I'd rather pay extra to get it clean by the motor vac.

George