Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

More wheel painting (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More wheel painting (Pics)

Well thanks to 96 Runner and Skrillah I started the process of painting my '00 Runner's wheels graphite. I have been going back and forth trying to decide if I wanted new rims or some oem 5 spokes as my rims are corroding. Nothing horrible but bugging me enough that I wanted to replace them. Not any more though!

I have only painted one as you can see in the pics but I can't wait to get the rest done and get some new tires on. Now if I can just decide on what tires to get...

I plan to paint the other 3 next weekend and will take more pics with my little bald factory tires. Thanks again 96 Runner and Skrillah for the lesson - My neighbor walked up and looked at me like I was crazy while I was using the cup brush. I would have thought the same thing had I not seen your posts.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 PM

looks great man! cant wait to see them put on, iam in the market for new tires also, i really want the maxxis buckshot
Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Thanks my tire list is down to 4. Maybe 5. Ok it changes daily.
1. Goodyear MTR
2. Mickey Thompson MTZ
3. New Dick Cepek Mud Country
4. New Pro Comp Mud Terrain
5. Toyo Open Country MT but I think it is out since it is so heavy

So how is the wheeling around Tulsa? I go to Tulsa just about every month for business and have heard there are a few good places around. Maybe someday I will drive down...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM

Looks good so far.

Those Toyos are also pretty expensive compared to the rest aren't they?

What about the Cooper SST's, have you looked at them?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that looks awesome, great job. Good luck on the other 3
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM

None of them are what I would call cheap. But the I have considered the Cooper as well. It looks pretty sweet.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Nice paint job on the rim!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM

See I am thinking about painting mine the same color, but my truck is red.. I think that looks really good.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 PM

wow you got racing slicks on those.... The wheel came out good.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

looks great, from what i saw you got pretty different results than skrillah and christian, it actually looks like the metal is colored that way. what all did you use?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Yah im very curious as well, that is an amazing job!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Hey man thanks for the props! Looks like you did a good job! I was debating doing something with my old 3 split spoke but wasn't sure what it'd look like.

Get some meatier tires and it'll be a done, looks like you're looking for a MT but there are some good AT's out there like the Revo and Nitto. Just a thought...

Any thoughts on doing something with your chrome now that your wheels will be that color? A herculine job on the rocker panels and maybe on the trim and/or bumpers would really set it off in my opinion but thats a given since my rig is decked out like it is.

I'm def interested in the rest of your build up, keep us posted!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work! Looks awesome.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 AM

I am out of town right now so I can't double check this but I thought I bought exactly what was on the list provided by Skrillah -

fine cup brush
150 grit sanding
Rust-Oleum gray auto primer
Dupli-Color HP wheel paint in graphite
Dupli-Color HP wheel clear coat

I think the finish on the 6 spokes vs. the finish on the 5 spokes is different. Am I dreaming this? That might be the difference. The wheel paint is pretty cool though. It is like it had a metal flakes in it shimmering in the sunlight.

Skrillah I think I am going to see if I can find some chrome wheel arch trim at the junk yard and paint it to match. I like how yours turned out but you got the bumper blending action going on too which does tie it all together. Down the road I would like to get an ARB or TJM for the front and make something for the rear and get rid of the chrome. That is ways off though. I have been talking about buying tires for a year now...

Last edited by coldwiz; 07-17-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM

Sweet 4Runner, just like mine, I think I need to paint my rims too.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by coldwiz
you got the bumper blending action going on too which does tie it all together.
Bumpers are cake too. Same prep n' paint process as the wheels.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 PM

Cool, that graphite color looks really good
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by coldwiz
I am out of town right now so I can't double check this but I thought I bought exactly what was on the list provided by Skrillah -

fine cup brush
150 grit sanding
Rust-Oleum gray auto primer
Dupli-Color HP wheel paint in graphite
Dupli-Color HP wheel clear coat

I think the finish on the 6 spokes vs. the finish on the 5 spokes is different. Am I dreaming this? That might be the difference. The wheel paint is pretty cool though. It is like it had a metal flakes in it shimmering in the sunlight.

Skrillah I think I am going to see if I can fine some chrome wheel arch trim at the junk yard and paint it to match. I like how yours turned out but you got the bumper blending action going on too which does tie it all together. Down the road I would like to get an ARB or TJM for the front and make something for the rear and get rid of the chrome. That is ways off though. I have been talking about buying tires for a year now...
I would most definitely agree that the finish is different between the two wheel types, which is cool, I think the graphite color really accents the smooth chrome part of the 3 split better than the 5 spoke.

The paint is cool when you put it on, it does have a nice shimmer to it! The clear coat kind of takes that away but i mean you need a clear coat so yeah. See I had my wheels dismounted from the tires when I painted mine, so they kind of scuffed mine up when they put the tires back on but nothing I can't touch up.

I understand the laundry list of to-do items for your Runner, one step at a time! I didn't mean to criticize, I simply wanted to know the future plans, I guess I could have articulated that a little better though. My bumpers most definitely tie the wheels together which was one of the reasons for the mod, but I hope in the near future to add a TJM and maybe herculine the rear bumper which would throw it all for a loop again. The endless 4runner project, its a beautiful thing!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM

I hope to get tires in the next few weeks and was wondering if the rims would get scuffed or scratched in the mounting process. I am really wondering what one wiscoinsin winter is going to do to them but they should be easy enough to touch up.

I think the clear coat would be good to spray on new rims every year or so to keep them in good shape and protected from the elements. Ever heard of anyone doing this?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah I had those wheels on my old Tacoma, and now have the 6 spoke on my 4Runner.. The ones on your 4runner have the same finish on part of the wheel, but the outside/top of the 'spokes' are shiny on these.. they have some finish on them that will eventually start to crack/flake over time.

Quick Reply: More wheel painting (Pics)