95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Missing power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Missing power steering fluid

For the past few weeks when I start my rig cold in the morning, you can hear the power steering pump groaning a bit.
If you grab and turn the wheel when you are sitting still, it's a loud noise.
Backing up while going slow makes the wheel pulsate in your hand.

Just checked the fluid level while cold, and it's not registering on the dip stick.
It takes Dextron II ATF.

Called the dealer and I told them I don't see any on the ground or seepage around the block.
One of the tech's who often works on my rig there said to top it off first and keep an eye on it.
The pumps do not go out on these very often he said.

If it is leaking from the seals a bit, they have the power steering flush for around $89 which includes a special power steering fluid which helps seal up the seals.
If it's the pump, the part alone is around $350, and with labor it comes out to around $500 or so.
Ouch

Going to top it off tomorrow and keep a close eye on it.
Anyone else ever had the fluid disappear like this, and if so was it a leak or what?
Old 04-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. My PS pump is leaking a little bit. You can see it on the back side of the pump. Anyways, I've heard that the dealership sells a rebuild kit for $40. I'm planning on buying a FSM this summer and doing the rebuild. I've also been told that the dealership can rebuild it for about $200. So you may want to check out that option if replacement is in order.

Ah the woes of owning a 10+ year old vehicle.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, since buying this in the fall of '98, I have not had much go wrong.
Regulator and motor for the rear window, a window switch for the front right window, injectors sonic flushed.

That's about it other than the regular stuff replaced such as spark plugs, wires, oil changes, ect.

If it does leak, I'll go for the $89 flush as the next step after topping it off.

Ten years, heck, mine will be 13 years old in July.
It was a late '91 being made in July of '91.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my steering box blew its seals last winter, i took the belt off and basically have manual steering now. i didn't bother to replace the box because i want to go to x-over anyway
Old 04-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at the engine from the passenger wheel well to see if there is any seepage. Mine didn't leak enough to leave any spots on the ground, it just made the passenger side dirty.

Toyota has a seal rebuild kit for like $35, but then there's still labor charge in there. Mine came out about $100 cheaper by having an independant mechanic rebuild it Vs buying new.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Just checked the fluid level while cold, and it's not registering on the dip stick.
It takes Dextron II ATF.
What's this about our trucks taking Dextron II? You mean it doesn't take regular power steering fluid? I just finished putting my new engine in and I put Maxlife Power steering fluid. Do I need to drain it and put Dextron in before I start driving again???
Old 04-24-2004, 04:47 PM

mine was doing the same thing. i kept filling it but it just kept leaking out somewhere but it was to hard to see the leek. i diddnt have any fluid for it one day so i put some 5w-30 motor oil in the resivoir and it has worked perfect since and not leaked any out. thats been at least five months ago. dont know if you want to try it or not and im not saying its the worlds best cure, but worked very well for me. and mine is working great now.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks for the tips guy's.
Steve, I will look from the passenger side tomorrow morning before I head off to the auto parts store to pick up some ATF.
I'm to lazy tonight to go out and look

Designsbyme, I am looking at my manual right now and it says to use Dextron II ATF.
I have some Amsoil ATF left over from a flush, but I think I am going to stick with regular ATF in this case.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The previous owner of my "new to me" FJ-80 had the fluid loss problem. He had the dealer do the flush and the symptom disappeared. He said that after the flush he needed to top off for a couple of weeks as the air purged, and the pump made some odd sounds that stopped, but it fixed the leak. He also replaced the V-belt remembering the dealer saying something about it contributing to the problem. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Bob, I will seriously look into the power steering flush as my next option if it starts leaking or is.

On a sidenote, I just hooked up my laptop by my rocker (Lazyboy type recliner) and this is cool.
Watching Adromeda on the Fox channel and surfing the forum at the same time.
I don't like typing on this though, use to my full size in the other room.

Goal is to get a laptop mount for the 4Runner so I can use it with my GPS to map out runs when we go on them.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, ATF (Dexron III since dex II isn't really available) goes in the powersteering. Look at the cap, it says so. I've heard of other people using power steering fluid and having ill effects.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 92 was doing the same thing a few months back, I got a $5 bottle of sealent, poured it all in and it has not leaked a drop since (8 months). The brand was "Amber" something, came in a large, brownish bottle.

Lamm
Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Well, the rig through the fender well on the passenger side is a little damp with oil.
Also the ARB bumper up front underneath by the arm that controls the steering is a little greasy too, so I am probably dripping some.

I topped it off with about 8 to 10 oz of Redline synthetic ATF (Dextron III based) that I had sitting around and started it up.
The noise is now gone.

After shutting it down I checked the level again and it was no longer red, as it mixed in with the old ATF in there.

Looks like I will be doing the power flush as the next step when funds become available.