Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

"Minor door damage" to my 98'. Body shop says $8600! What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Minor door damage" to my 98'. Body shop says $8600! What should I do?

I have a 98' Limited 4runner with ~70,000 miles. I recently had the 99+ bumpers painted to mach and installed in the front and the back. I love this car and was devastated when a careless driver pulling out of a grocery store parking lot hit my door as I was turning into the lot. The accident happened 2 months ago and the drivers insurance company has finally accepted liability.

Here is the crazy part... When my insurer (Amica) came out and did their visual appraisal, they basically snapped a couple of digital pics and mailed me an estimate of $850. The damage was fairly minor (aesthetically), but the door would not open at the time. When I took my car to the shop, they had to jimmy the door open so that they could do a full appraisal. The front door had been pushed back into the rear door and the running board is bent. They estimate the repairs to be AT LEAST $8,600!!!

I cannot see having $8600 sunk into this vehicle, especially considering that I believe I could sell it, as is, for $6-7k. Bear in mind that apart from the running board, this damage is not noticeable from ten feet away. My questions are for those that have dealt with insurance headaches in the past.

1)Everyone is telling me, "take the money". It doesn't really seem that easy. If my insurance company has said $860, how do I go about getting the monetary reimbursement that the bodyshop is telling me I deserve?

2)If I do get the car repaired, the other driver's insurer says that they will reimburse up to $25 a day for a rental car. Others tell me that I am owed the reimbursement amount for a "like vehicle". What law do I reference when requesting this?

3)What would you do in this scenario?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Phone your insurance company and tell them what the body shop has told you... fax off an estimate if required.... see what they come back at you with.........
Old 04-16-2006, 04:53 PM

I would think by getting 2 or 3 estimates from body shops, and then turning them into the insurance company you should be able to get alot more.

I would take your truck to the most expensive place and get an estimate, get the money, then take it to a lower bid....money left for mods
Old 04-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

deff go elsewhere for the body work!!!! even if the frame was somehow tweeked, i dont see 8,600 for a side of a runner!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:03 PM

I think a picture would be a good idea.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After my accident, the insurance company said it would be about 3,600. Well, my uncle who used to work in a body shop said about 10 grand. Considering the entire side was caved in (got hit at 45 miles an hour) and the frame was definetly tweaked, I would probably have to agree with my uncle. Again, go to other shops. They can give you another estimate, and then you send it into the insurance company. Don't lie about it and give them the highest one, give them all your estimates. Of course, they will pick the smallest if they pick any of them at all, but it is obvious as to what seems real to you and real to them.

I am still trying to think of a way to get it appraised by other body shops. I took what the insurance gave me of course (they gave about $850 or so) but I still want to know how much it will cost.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I've wrecked numerous vehicles and I have NEVER gotten an estimate from the insurance company itself. DUH! I mean think about it...they are going to be the ones PAYING...so don't you think they are going to be cheap?

Call your insurance company.
Ask for their approved repair shop list, if they have one.
Get at least (3) estimates to fix your vehicle like YOU want it fixed. What do you pay insurance for in the first place?
Present them those (3) estimates and sure as heck don't sign anything from them or the body shop until your vehicle is FIXED like it was before the accident.

Then once it is fixed, write a letter to the insurance company's HQ and tell them what a DA your local agent/adjuster is.

Knowledge is power!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned

go to another body shop.

or go to a junkyard, get a door, have it repainted to match your 4runner, and put it on.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your suggestions thus far. I will definitely take it to a 2nd and 3rd shop for appraisal. Since I will not be paying for the repairs, the more expensive, the better. I know that there is not always a correlation between price and quality, but at least a high dollar figure makes it less likely that they will be cutting corners.

Lets say I do get 2 more similar estimates for the damage and I convince my insurance company that the cost will be closer to $9000. Will they issue me a check without requiring me to have the repairs done?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
Thanks for your suggestions thus far. I will definitely take it to a 2nd and 3rd shop for appraisal. Since I will not be paying for the repairs, the more expensive, the better. I know that there is not always a correlation between price and quality, but at least a high dollar figure makes it less likely that they will be cutting corners.

Lets say I do get 2 more similar estimates for the damage and I convince my insurance company that the cost will be closer to $9000. Will they issue me a check without requiring me to have the repairs done?
If the repair is going to cost that much, they will most likely total the thing.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry too much if it was your insurance company that did the appraisal and it is the other party's insurance company that is liable. Go get three estimates and send it to the liable insurance company, they are the ones responsible.

That being said, they are going to low ball you big time. My neighbor just t-boned a lady, she was ticketed in the accident he got 3 appraisals averaging $1800 and her insurance company offered him $1400 to settle it and they didn't budge from that offer.