Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Metallic squeak when I apply light throttle and when I let off the gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metallic squeak when I apply light throttle and when I let off the gas

Long time reader, first time poster. I have tried a search and I did find a thread that is similar to my problem but now I can't find it.
Here's the problem.
I have a 96 Tacoma 3.4 V6 with a 4" Fabtech lift and when I am in rev, 1'st or 2nd gear (only) I hear a metallic squeak when I apply light throttle and when I let off the gas. It happens even with the slightest about of throttle and as soon as I let off I get the squeak. I can't pinpoint where it is coming from but it is not under the hood.
It doesn't happen when I am in neutral, or in any other gears.
I have checked exhaust hangers, and greased my entire drive-train. I do need a new centre bearing since things are pretty loose back there but no matter what I push and pull on under there I can't repeat that noise.
I would grease my ball joints but they are the sealed type with no zerks.
That noise is driving me nuts! Please help!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-08-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Useful title
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM

What the hell is this noise?

As you can see I am brand spankin new to the forum and I tried posting this problem in the Newbie tech section but so far I have struck out.

My 4th Gen Tacoma makes a loud metallic squeak when it is in 1'st, 2nd and Rev after I apply light throttle and when I let off the gas. I can't pinpoint where it is coming from but it is not under the hood.
I have checked exhaust hangers, and greased my entire drive-train. I do need a new centre bearing since things are pretty loose back there but no matter what I push, pull or bounce on, I can't repeat that noise.

This noise is driving me nuts! Please help!

Last edited by Vicfire; 07-08-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vicfire
As you can see I am brand spankin new to the forum and I tried posting this problem in the Newbie tech section but so far I have stuck out.

My 4th Gen Tacoma makes a loud metallic squeak when it is in 1'st, 2nd and Rev after I apply light throttle and when I let off the gas. I can't pinpoint where it is coming from but it is not under the hood.
I have checked exhaust hangers, and greased my entire drive-train. I do need a new centre bearing since things are pretty loose back there but no matter what I push, pull or bounce on, I can't repeat that noise.

This noise is driving me nuts! Please help!
while setting still with the clutch in or rolling?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

Relevant titles to your problem instead of generic vague titles will yield a better response.

Also, in the future, please do not post the same thread in multiple forum sections.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Welcome to Yotatech.

Relevant titles to your problem instead of generic vague titles will yield a better response.

Also, in the future, please do not post the same thread in multiple forum sections.

Thanks.

You got it....
Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bain
while setting still with the clutch in or rolling?
The squeak comes when I am going from a stand still coming off the clutch and on the throttle. Once I am rolling I can make it happen just by coming on and off the gas. Tap the throttle=horrid squeak....off the throttle=horrid squeak. Once I'm rolling it only happens in 1st and 2nd.
Hope that paints a better picture.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the squeak happen or seem to be in sync with the rpms/drivetrain? if so...

Ok so I just got done (well, a couple months ago) with a rebuild of my driveshaft. I had that squeak, same symptoms, so my first thought was my carrier bearing (if you have a DC/extended). Ordered my part.

While I was waiting for this, I got under there to make sure none of my U-joints were bad. (BTW, I did lube up everything too) I had no play whatsoever. So, I figured I had pinpointed my issue correctly.

The part came and I took the two pieces of the driveshaft off, and as I was dropping the propeller shaft (rear portion) I noticed when I moved it around (with it still connected to the diff flange), I could reproduce a pretty bad squeak. Things seemed a bit tight to me.

So, I went ahead and took both pieces completely off, installed the carrier, and noticed that U-joint that was squeaking on the truck could not be moved by hand. The thing had seized. With u-joints, either they will seize and squeak, or get play and clunk.

So, while everything was off, I replaced my u-joints as well. Hope this helps with what to check.

And you say you have a lift? I have read that those carrier bearings tend to go out easily if there are no shims to drop that part of the driveshaft so there aren't funky angles.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Can you grab your tailpipe, give it a shake and eliminate an exhaust noise? Exhaust pipes don't touch sheetmetal anywhere?

I'm reading about a lot of sway bar end links causing noises lately.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Found it! I had a buddy of mine get under my rig and I went into 1st and rev over and over again until he could pinpoint where it was coming from. It is definitely my centre bearing. I am glad because I already knew that it was shot so now I just have to wait until the part comes in.
Good idea on the shims, I was wondering about that, I will get some advice from the local 4x4 shop.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Just to add to this thread. I am still waiting for my new centre bearing to come in to my local parts store. I would just go and buy it from Toyota but the I am saving over $100 bucks by using the part store. My question is, how bad is it to continue driving with my shot centre bearing?
Right now I don't drive over 80km/hr and just take it pretty easy but now I am starting to think that I should avoid driving my truck at all to prevent any further stress to my U-joints and drive shaft.
Any more thoughts on this?
Thanks