Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mechanic Broke My Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanic Broke My Runner...

Well i dropped my car off before school so the mechanic could give his inspection on a Cyl2 misfire. He concludes that its the fuel injectors, then tells me he wants $1100 to fix them. So im thinkin good deal, $25 to diagnose a problem i can fix myself and i get in the car and drive 12 miles back home. The whole way home i noticed the car smelled obnoxiously of gasoline, i thought that was the dirty mechanic wiping his feet on my mats or some leftover gas smell from when he pulled the fuel rail, and i thought nothing of it. I was home for about 3 hours, before i went back out to my car to see if it was still idling rough. When i tried to turn it over the first time, it sputtered and wouldnt start, i thought this was odd because i havent had this problem before, so i start it, pop the hood, and find injector #2 blowing fuel EVERYWHERE, all over the intake, belts, head, battery, hoses, hood, and garage floor. Needless to say that problem wasnt there when i took it in, that kinda explains why i went through 1/4 tank on the way home...

Well the towtrucks on the way, i dont have the time to explore, but from where i was looking it didnt appear to be an O-Ring, but from the fuel rail itself.

Just thought i would let everyone know how furious i am, time to find a new mechanic....

Last edited by NwRunner; 03-19-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Lucky the trucks not burnt to the ground.

Sorry to hear about the mechanic
Old 03-19-2008, 05:14 PM

yeah the more i think about what could have happened, the more i picture myself trying to smother the flames with my body and burning to a crisp along with my car. There was amazing amounts of gas running out and on everything. I dont know how it drove, much less kept from exploding.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

s you are taking it back to a mechanic?? seems at this point not much more work to replace fuel rail (maybe) and injectors or whatever was first wrong with it... or do you want same guy to make amends to whatever he broke/cross-threaded/over-tightened?

I would also be mad they are towing your 4Runner like that (versus a flat-bed)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM

wow that's some scary s***. I'd hope he fixes that for free. Otherwise, I'd be looking up the BBB, I'd be furious.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NwRunner
Well i dropped my car off before school so the mechanic could give his inspection on a Cyl2 misfire. He concludes that its the fuel injectors, then tells me he wants $1100 to fix them. So im thinkin good deal, $25 to diagnose a problem i can fix myself and i get in the car and drive 12 miles back home. The whole way home i noticed the car smelled obnoxiously of gasoline, i thought that was the dirty mechanic wiping his feet on my mats or some leftover gas smell from when he pulled the fuel rail, and i thought nothing of it. I was home for about 3 hours, before i went back out to my car to see if it was still idling rough. When i tried to turn it over the first time, it sputtered and wouldnt start, i thought this was odd because i havent had this problem before, so i start it, pop the hood, and find injector #2 blowing fuel EVERYWHERE, all over the intake, belts, head, battery, hoses, hood, and garage floor. Needless to say that problem wasnt there when i took it in, that kinda explains why i went through 1/4 tank on the way home...

Well the towtrucks on the way, i dont have the time to explore, but from where i was looking it didnt appear to be an O-Ring, but from the fuel rail itself.

Just thought i would let everyone know how furious i am, time to find a new mechanic....
How do you know he pulled the fuel rail? Did he tell you this or is it stated on your receipt?

James
Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ciscojay
wow that's some scary s***. I'd hope he fixes that for free. Otherwise, I'd be looking up the BBB, I'd be furious.
yeah def look into that, though I have found with a previous issue that the BBB doesn't have the greatest pull with anything. Only has an effect if the business in question is a member, or participates with the BBB, or if the consumer happens to check the site for previous records before doing business. I always thought it was some big agency that cracks down on bad businesses, but it's not really something that takes an active role, only upholds records to certify a shop that participates (or has no one complain) or holds records in case a non-participating business ever wanted to get a shiny plaque. All of this of course relies on constant, current, and frequent input from consumers to keep up-to-date

.... that was long, I'll stop now =)
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

im pretty positive these guys are willing to take every appropriate step to fix this, i called them and they had a towtruck at my house in less than a half hour. No money will be comming out of my pocket, ill make sure of that.

And as much as i dont want him working on my car anymore, i dont have the time to order in the parts and then replace them, because this is my only car.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet they pinched the top oring. Easy to do and happens to every tech at least once. They just should have caught it before they let it go
Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by toytech76
I bet they pinched the top oring. Easy to do and happens to every tech at least once. They just should have caught it before they let it go
So true..changed out my injector o-rings and sure enough the most rear driver side o-ring got pinched and was pissing fuel. Easy fix though. tore down,fixed, and bolted up in less than an hour.
But wow those o-rings from toyota are expensive!
Leaks could also come from the bango bolt washers.

Last edited by Godzilla; 03-19-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:12 PM

I don't know of any tech that would remove the fuel rail to diagnose an injector/s problem for $25, then have the ballz to quote you $1100 for the repair of four injectors. All you have to do is remove the rail to pull the injectors. If he had the rail off he should have gone ahead and fixed whatever the problem was. How much are the injectors? I'm calling B.S., no way are all 4 injectors bad. All four injectors being bad/faulty would cause more than a #2 Misfire code. No way i'd pay $1100 to repair them without some serious detailed documentation. FISHY
Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM

yeah the BBB doesn't really have any pull, especially if the business doesn't participate as a BBB member. But, if it came down to a dispute having officially reported a complaint helps a bunch. I've saved myself $1800 that way, when I had work done on my old rx7 twin turbo. Hopefully it sounds like these guys have gone the extra step to get you running again.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Exactly my thinking, he wants i think ~190 a pop for injectors, and then the labor ontop of that. After seeing the $212 dollar pieces of metal you wrap around your fuel line that magically increases your gas mileage, i kinda didnt listen to any more business proposals.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 AM

is ur truck 4x2? just curious with them towing it like that.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What everyone has said about the BBB is true. They merely give the company the chance to respond to your complaint. They have no real power, other than they can give the business an unsatisfactory rating if they do not attempt to resolve the problem.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I would think if you put the transfer case in neutral and the parking brake is set (and working) it shouldn't be a problem to tow like that. I towed mine like this (not very far) on a dolly and had no issues. You just have to make sure the wheel is straight and the key is out.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

it is always a horrible experiance having ones rig made worse by the very people who are susposed to make it better. Hopefully you can get some recourse from the guy who did it. or at least spread the word about how bad he is.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
I would think if you put the transfer case in neutral and the parking brake is set (and working) it shouldn't be a problem to tow like that. I towed mine like this (not very far) on a dolly and had no issues. You just have to make sure the wheel is straight and the key is out.

once you put the t-case in neutral you have locked the front and rear drive shafts together. The t case needs to remain in 2H for you to tow like that .
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM

If you ever have a problem with someone fixing your rig and did not do the job right or busted something else, the best place to report to is the DMV, trust me, I went through this, and the DMV got all my money back $2K.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Dude, that freakin sucks! I hope you got your rig back on the road already. I could never trust anyone other than myself to work on my trucks. This just furthers my distrust. I mean, ill take advice from people but i wont let them work on it personally.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Broke My Runner...