Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Maybe something easier...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe something easier...

Was just thinking about the fuel filter on my 91 4runner and how much of a pain it is to change it. What if I were to cut the lines with a tube cutter on both sides, leaving approximately 1/2" line sticking out both sides of the filter. Then cutting maybe 1/4" off each sides of the existing line on the truck. Buy some fuel injection hose and cut enough to slip over and cover that 1/4" gap and use 2 small hose clamps on each end to seal the deal. That way when you want to change your next filter just loosen the clamps and slide the hose back enough to get the filter off and that way you won't be wrenching in a cramped spot and taking twice as long to get the nuts off each side of the filter. This way it still utilizes the stock nuts for the filter and you still have a flaired end on your line seating in the nut and stock filter. Sound logical?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you take the doors off your truck, you wont have to open and close them when you get in and out.

actually, that would work fine, but i change my fuel filter about once every 6 months, and it takes 5 minutes, so its not worth the trouble.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 3car
if you take the doors off your truck, you wont have to open and close them when you get in and out.

actually, that would work fine, but i change my fuel filter about once every 6 months, and it takes 5 minutes, so its not worth the trouble.
5 minutes? i use flare nut wrenches and open end wrenches with my big gorilla knuckles then its a really tight situation. Maybe...if I go to a surgeon and remove some of this skin off my hands then I could fit them much better.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:47 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Is the filter on the 4Runner in a different spot than the pickup? It's a piece of cake on mine. It's inside the frame rail pretty much right under the passenger seat. (But then, I had an '85 with a 22RE, so I know the meaning of the word "impossible.")
Old 12-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Dont dis on the 22re . The fuel filter isnt THAT hard to change.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

yeh...same spot. I also had a problem lining up the nut to the filter once I got it up there. It seems like everything is a pain to get to on this thing! Changed valve pan cover gaskets yesterday...took 6 hours to do them. Of course thats without air power...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Dont dis on the 22re . The fuel filter isnt THAT hard to change.

Oh yeah it is. I never managed to. I could get a wrench on it, but couldn't get the leverage to pull it. I finally paid to have it done, and the mechanic called me when he was done and said "Thanks a lot!" and hung up. I knew what he meant....

But no, I would never dis the 22RE, I drove mine for 15 years and 172,000 miles and it was all good! I miss it.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 12-19-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by callmej75
yeh...same spot. I also had a problem lining up the nut to the filter once I got it up there. It seems like everything is a pain to get to on this thing! Changed valve pan cover gaskets yesterday...took 6 hours to do them. Of course thats without air power...

I just went out with a flashlight and took another look. I see! If I didn't have a 3" body lift it would be a whole different issue! How about making up some proper fuel lines and moving it back a few feet? I don't like the idea of hose clamps on a high pressure line - remember with EFI there is a lot more fuel pressure in that line...
Old 12-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

True...could plumb it back a little. Although they do make high pressure line for EFI but its all on a persons preference whether or not they would trust it or the clamps. I would never trust those clamps that just self tighten once you let them go with the pliers! I always replace them when I see them with the screw clamps. Just bought a new flare tool today so I need to put it to good use! Quick question....with your 4" trailmaster and 3" body lift do you have any problems out of your cv's? I was going to order the 3" BL for my 4runner from 4crawler since he has the auto tranny custom fabbed piece and go with a procomp lift and try to go for 35's. but its gonna take time...got laid off work so I'm struggling for xmas for my little one and making the bills but after the 1st of the year its max OT and I'm going all I can on lift...no sas...would buy an older truck if I wanted that!

Last edited by callmej75; 12-19-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by callmej75
True...could plumb it back a little. Although they do make high pressure line for EFI but its all on a persons preference whether or not they would trust it or the clamps. I would never trust those clamps that just self tighten once you let them go with the pliers! I always replace them when I see them with the screw clamps. Just bought a new flare tool today so I need to put it to good use! Quick question....with your 4" trailmaster and 3" body lift do you have any problems out of your cv's? I was going to order the 3" BL for my 4runner from 4crawler since he has the auto tranny custom fabbed piece and go with a procomp lift and try to go for 35's. but its gonna take time...got laid off work so I'm struggling for xmas for my little one and making the bills but after the 1st of the year its max OT and I'm going all I can on lift...no sas...would buy an older truck if I wanted that!
None at all. The angles are not great because the lift lowers the entire diff. It's really 3" - you get the other inch by cranking the torsions. I only have mine cranked about 1/2". I have fit 38s, so there's plenty of room. The 35s won't rub no matter what. I like that. See the angles the axles are at? No worries.
Attached Thumbnails Maybe something easier...-pc190015sm.jpg  
Old 12-20-2004, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I don't like the idea of hose clamps on a high pressure line - remember with EFI there is a lot more fuel pressure in that line...
You have to remember that there is a hose with clamps that connects the discharge of the fuel pump to the exit line in the gas tank. I don't think there would be a problem using EFI rated hose with hose clamps on the filter IMO.

Dave
Old 12-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
None at all. The angles are not great because the lift lowers the entire diff. It's really 3" - you get the other inch by cranking the torsions. I only have mine cranked about 1/2". I have fit 38s, so there's plenty of room. The 35s won't rub no matter what. I like that. See the angles the axles are at? No worries.
Yeh...hardly no angle at all. Brainstormin now Was thinkin about the coil spring rearend. If I add some lift coils with spacers then that should bring my rear nice and level with the rest of the lift.

Last edited by callmej75; 12-20-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
You have to remember that there is a hose with clamps that connects the discharge of the fuel pump to the exit line in the gas tank. I don't think there would be a problem using EFI rated hose with hose clamps on the filter IMO.

Dave
Yeh i remember Dave that I asked for fuel line at advance auto and they asked me EFI or regular...i asked the difference and they said the pressure rating. So for a change....the auto parts store was right on something!