Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The masterpiece will be in hand tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The masterpiece will be in hand tonight!!

PS, that is not my 4Runner.. that is Ken's truck being a test dummy for the final fitting

Oh yea.. a long time waiting, but the new, re-designed BudBuilt crossmember is on it's way to me.. (I think this may be the very first one out the door for the stock drivetrain for the V-6.. I e-mailed bud and asked him.. He kinda hinted that it is in his e-mail) I have a fellow Yankeetoys member who lives in NH who is going to relay it to me when he gets close to my area.. I am awaiting his call to meet him on the Mass Pike to pick it up!! I am excited I now have mu crossmember in hand!! and if it is the very first one, that would be very sweet.. Install photos to be up very soon!!

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 06-03-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Reply from Bud via e-mail

"Thanks for the kind words of praise. Yes, it is Numero Uno! You waited so long, sorry... You get bragging rights tho!

New process is really a whole new design. Gives full clearance under most of the tranny and just ducks down under the Tcase now. Before, it was lower all the way across the whole bottom. You have about 2 more inches of clearance across most of the bottom, and the same under the t-case BUT it is well protected!
Talk later! Still making more out in the shop!"

Old 06-03-2003, 05:21 PM

Lee,
Wow, very nice. I need something like that. I bashed my puny transfercase skidplate at Walker Valley a couple weeks ago, and I haven't bent it back straight yet. So what does such an animal cost? And what is the waiting time for it? Bet your transfercase will love you for it!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Wellll we will leave the wait time out for now.. I waited over a year! But he was desiging them and I was not in a hurry.. The projected cost looks to be close to $300.. He is still working it out. The new crossmembers apparently take a lot more work to make than the old style.. But are much better now. As for getting one?? I don't know if he has a waiting list or not, and he said he was out there making them tonight... Give him a call, his web site is linked off my main page and he is very well known for his prior design crossmembers across the USA.. Tell him Lee sent you
Old 06-03-2003, 06:31 PM

Did you change your fuel filter while you had the old crossmember out?

Guess who should've thought of that during his clutch change?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

That is not my truck in the photo.. That was Ken's truck.. He was at Bud's garage and brought it to Mass for me... These things are a little heavy to ship.. And Ken passes thru a spot 15 minutes from me.. So I met up with him at a rest area to pick it up.. I just got back from getting it and it is now sitting in my office here at home... I may just have to get a body shop to paint it.. Too nice to just spray can, but then again.. it is under the truck. Although.. The Krylon tough coat red I just used on my Hi-Lift is pretty dang nice..

(Don't that new sticker just set it off nice??)

Old 06-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Damn that thing looks way too nice!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Which?? The jack or crossmember? The jack was easy.. I had access to a sand blast cabinet last weekend, so I tore it down and blasted them.. I didn't go nuts, I left the heavy runs on the edges that would of taken a while to blast off.. That and this Krylon is the stuff made to stick to bare steel so I didn't even prime it! The sticker is a very nice touch though.. Hi-Lift sent it to me for free when I asked them for one a couple months ago..

Wait untill you see the crossmember painted and installed...
Old 06-04-2003, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should these be in production now?

I want one for sure.

Guesstimate on weight?

The portion of my belly pan right after the crossmember went from painted to bare last weekend. If this is bombproof and gains clearance it sounds like a must have.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Man oh man... I figured this would of made more of a "splash" here.. You all don't know what you are missing.. Flygtenstein, I think if you contact Bud, they are getting redy to hit the door.. Weight?? Damn heavy.. I dunno maybe 35lbs?? I got it in primer tonight.. if the weather is good tomorow I may paint it, if not it will be this Saturday for sure.. I used the whole can of primer on the crossmember and skidplate.. I am buying 2 cans of the paint.

I gotta tell you, these things are so nice compared to the old style...

Here is Bud's site
Old 06-05-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An extra 2 inches of belly clearance for 3 bills, hmmm? YEAH!

What do you need to do for the install? Low-pro drain plug probably means some leaking and refilling. That would be a no go without a garage.

Single case, V-6 auto, right?

Bud is out east, so shipping could be killer!
Old 06-05-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lee,

Some cool stuff ya got there.

Question re sandblast cabinet: is this a home-built one or a professional one? If home-built, what is required to build one? Always been interested in what these look like.

Bob
Old 06-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
Man oh man... I figured this would of made more of a "splash" here.. [/URL]
I have just been "eyeballin' " until they actual hit the shelves and a solid price comes out. So I ain't been throwing my worthless 2 cents in yet. I got this one on my list, don't worry.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Lee,

Some cool stuff ya got there.

Question re sandblast cabinet: is this a home-built one or a professional one? If home-built, what is required to build one? Always been interested in what these look like.

Bob
go to harbor freight. you can pick one up there fairly cheap. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1672

Last edited by keisur; 06-05-2003 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Looks pretty sweet- I take it no need to drill any new holes, installs where pre-existing member was?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:22 PM

Man oh man... I figured this would of made more of a "splash" here.. You all don't know what you are missing..
i got so excited that i just put in an order for one of his 'triple-case crossmembers'

Last edited by rabidbeaverbaby; 06-05-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well Bud has been selling the single case crossmembers for a long time.. These are a new design and much improved (read about it on his site) I think with his reputation already in place for the old style, these new ones are going to take off.. I can not wait to get it awn!! I am going to paint it tomorow and maybe even install it Sunday afternoon...

Sandblast cabinet.. I agree, buy one from Harbor Freight.. Too much work to build one.. But they work so nice.. (btw, that was not my cabinet. I wish it was though..)

Flygtenstein, if you are quick.. you can save most all of it.. Just use your thumb to "dike it" Don't forget, the clearance is only half of it.. You also get a smooth surface and a killer skidplate!!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:43 AM

Bud is the KING of tcase crossmembers! If I did not build all of my own junk I would have bought from him. I know him from the pirate board , and he is a super stand up guy who really takes pride in his products. Did you guys ever see the early model toyota frames that he was making! Talk about nice work.

PS-bling bling on the highlift part LOL

Richard
another ps- I am already trying to one up you on the round slider high lift jack attachment damn I probably have to pay you royalties
take care

Last edited by weldpro; 06-06-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

looks real nice
Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Nawh, that's not bling.. Now it has bling!! LOL

What to do with half a dozzen assorted BudBuilt decals?? I think it fits nicely on that purty paint job. Plus, it goes up 10% faster now!!

But on a real note.. I have got it painted now and hanging from my"painting tree" in the back yard.. I think it is going to get put on Sunday for sure!!

PS.. No yu do not have to drill any holes to install this, it fits using the existing bolts for the frame mount and grade 12 flush mount bolts for the tranny mount and skid plate.

Also, the Hi-Lift attachment was not my idea, it came from the 4X4 Wire board.. (I can't remember who mad it.. but he has a great set up I am trying to copy) I already have 20 feet of grade 7 transport chain with hooks that I have to buy shackles for and chop up for my Hi-Lift useage...

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 06-06-2003 at 07:43 PM.