Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

???MAS unit??? URD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
???MAS unit??? URD???

okay, new at this so bare with me. i'm at my wits end. i have a 2002 taco that has a trd supercharger on it. it is a five speed trd with a v-six. i had installed a 2.2 urd pulley and a seventh injector as the trd seventh injector iwasn't living up to its claim. since that time my mass air flow unit keeps kicking off. if i disconnect the battery to reset the unit it runs fine for a while but then the same problem. i replaced the mas and that seemed to take care of the problem for about a day. the truck will start and the idle will jump irratically and then stall out. the engine lite never came on before but now is on all the time. i also replaced the air fuel sensor when i had the 7th injector and pulley installed.

besides the sc and 7th injector unit my truck also has trd headers, jett chip flashing, centerforce clutch and is a trd four by four with a five speed.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Did you install a larger volume fuel pump? Did you install a piggy-back computer and tune your set-up? Did you install 1 or 2 step cooler plugs?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by craismith1
... jett chip flashing....
So did you send your ECU to them for that? I don't know but that may be your problem right there. Hopefully they didn't ruin it.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM

???MAS unit??? URD???

yep, installed a larger fuel pump. and have been runnung 2 step colder spark plugs since i first bought the truck. don't know how to run a "piggyback" so, no, haven't done that. as far as the ecu, i actually drove to the shop when they reflashed the unit. this has been installed with no problems for at least six months.

I have owned this truck for three years now. it has been s.c.'ed and trd 7th injected since i have owned it with no probs. it was'nt until i installed the urd unit that i stareted having problems. the unit has been in a total of five running days and has been down a total of three and a half of the five days.

i'm curious, has anyone else had urd products installed and has there been any problems with them? i've heard only good things about them and the truth be known, my truck runs like a bat out of hell (when it does run) but the timing of the install and the time of all this b.s. that i'm going through just seems more than just a coincidence.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM

???MAS unit??? URD???

oh by the way. i was told by gadget when i installed the 7th that i didn't need to retune the truck, that the unit would work fine as installed but would benifit from a tune up. unfortunatley, i haven't had a chance to do a tuneup as the truck won't stay runnung long enough to do one.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Is this what you installed? http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518512

If so, you have installed a piggy back computer. Which BTW was designed to work with a stock ECU, not a reflashed one.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM

well, when i talked to brian targer(?) at urd before i bought this unit i told him exactly what i had installed in the truck and he made no mention of anything not being compatable. yesterday, i went ahead and pulled the entire intake (airbox, mas, air tube) all the way back to the throttle body and gave the wholoe thing a solid scrubbing out, including a good spraying of crc in the throttle body itself. for right now its running but for who knows how long. i just don't trust it anymore. but i do have my fingers crossed and in the mean time i'll give urd a call and ask about the ecu. i'll be pretty pissed if that is the reason.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Well I've always heard that the Toyota ECU programing can't be flashed because no one (outside of Toyota engineers) knows the code. So maybe their flashing job is just a ripoff and really does nothing or maybe they have some other tricky thing they do.

Did you watch them do it by any chance? Just wondering.

So did you install the URD piggyback FTC?

If you need a good used MAF to try I have one I'll sell you for $40