Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual VS. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual VS. Automatic

Hey All

Im sure this has been asked many times, but how much "worse" if the automatic? i have heard it is pretty gutless compared to a manual (which is already gutless) so should i just avoid an automatic at all costs? or if i see a good buy should i just not worry about it, please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

nothing wrong with my auto
Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 AM

I have an auto in my 91 and it works perfect in town & up in the hills. I do miss shifting though!
Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

I don't mind my Auto, there was a power difference between mine and my dad's 96 5-speed, but not drastic. Just get an auto and slap on a Supercharger!
Old 07-11-2003, 04:20 AM

That would probably depend on the year and engine size you are getting.
The later models with the 3.4L v6 or 2.7L 4cyl are probably fine either way, but get older than that (like my 22r - 2.4L 4cyl) and it can get gutless really quick.
Gearing is VERY important when dealing with auto's and a 4cyl.

Hope this helps,
Todd
Old 07-11-2003, 04:35 AM

my auto is smooth and powerfull.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

ive got the 3.0 with a manual, i wouldnt call it gutless. . . but it aint a powerhouse. gotta run real high revs through every gear to get around at a good pace.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

I have had both the Auto 3.4 and my current 5 speed 3.4. There is no comparison, the 5 speed is faster than the Auto.

Obviously there are other factors to consider though. Do you drive in stop and go traffic a lot? Will anyone else be driving the vehicle? Etc...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

I'd go for the five speed. I like the idea of determining just when I'm gonna shift. Feathering the clutch has got me out of some slippery spots, too. Every 'ute' type of vehicle I've owned, from International Travellall to Jeep Cherokee and now 4runner have been manuals. IMHO It just makes sense for this type of vehicle.
However, like previous poster say, there's alot of factors to consider. For my driving (lots of highway miles) the 5 spd was the ONLY way to go!
Old 07-11-2003, 07:19 AM

I have two 4Runners, a 96 and 97. One with an auto and one with a manual.

For wheeling the auto is a better choice. I have never stalled it off road ever, and I can climb obsticals and tough hills with ease compared to manual guys. The only time, and I mean only time that I can see a manual ever being better off road is going down very steep slippery hills and that is it.

The auto and the manual are geared differently. The auto will give you better fuel economy, higher resale value, and has a greater tow capability.

The manual is geared for fun and is a blast to drive when there is no traffic.

Now, as far as which is "faster". In normal speed ranges, I would say it is a wash. The manual due to its different gearing is clearly faster at speeds greater then 80 MPH and will walk away from the auto at very high speeds like over 100, but who really cares.

Off the line, there is no doubt my auto will spank my manual and get out ahead of it. I am not sure at what point the manual will finally catch up, but my auto I have is very quick off the line.

Now, if I were to get another one right now, it would be an auto and it would get the full Level 10 treatment right away.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-11-2003, 08:50 AM

Manual is cheaper and easier to work on if it explodes!!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
Now, as far as which is "faster". In normal speed ranges, I would say it is a wash. www.GadgetOnline.com
I disagree. Put a good driver in a stock 5 speed 4runner vs an Auto, and it will eat it 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. Not to mention over 80MPH (like you said).

Now, when you are talking about heavilly modified rides, such as your 4Runner's, things can change very quickly.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I disagree. Put a good driver in a stock 5 speed 4runner vs an Auto, and it will eat it 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. Not to mention over 80MPH (like you said).

Now, when you are talking about heavilly modified rides, such as your 4Runner's, things can change very quickly.
I agree
Old 07-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The auto and the manual are geared differently. The auto will give you better fuel economy, higher resale value, and has a greater tow capability.
Now, as far as which is "faster". In normal speed ranges, I would say it is a wash.
Off the line, there is no doubt my auto will spank my manual and get out ahead of it. I am not sure at what point the manual will finally catch up, but my auto I have is very quick off the line.
None of this holds true for the 1st gens! Fuel economy is about the same (meaning 'crappy' for the v6's). Tow rating for the 5spd is 1500 lbs higher than the auto. The auto is also not geared well at all for the V6 motor. It's really hard to keep the engine in middle of the torque curve. As for speed, a friend of mine has the exact same truck as me, just in a 5spd; He'll leave me in his dust anytime he wants to.
Unless you really hate shifting, stay away from the auto if you get a 1st gen.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Mines got the manual tranny, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can slip the clutch when "I" feel it is appropriate, and I am a control freak! The more I have control of my vehicles operation, the better.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 AM

Yea, I have seen lots of examples of that "slipping" technique when going over rocks and other obsticals. It seems that most of the guys I wheel with have manuals. They are always stalling out and having to smoke the clutch trying to get going again. I simply just drive over stuff and if I stop all I have to do is add gas and over I go without all that smelly clutch smoke. There is also much less wear and tear on the starter...

Keep slipping, and I will keep driving.

Now, if you had a crawler box, then a manual would be able to keep up. Have you ever noticed that all the guys that do the rock crawling competitions have autos?

I used to spend more time then I wanted in the woods driving an old Jeep with a manual. I can tell you from my experience that the auto sure makes things a lot eaiser.

Now when I finish typing this I am going to jump in my manual tranny supercharged 4Runner and have some fun on the way home!!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Smile Sticks Rule - autos Drool!

I drive a stick and i would'nt drive anything else. with the 3.0 there really isin't any other choice. i get more towing capicity and better fuel economy. I don't go crawling so thats's not an issue
(slipping) . I do like that I get to choose when to shift and not some "brain box". If I need to get out of the way of something I want to do it NOW!. In the winter on ice you can't beat them While an auto spins his wheels i just up shift and reduce the wheel rpms while keeping the engine turning in the power band. Sweet! It is a pain in stop and go driving, but, there is a upside I've got great looking legs (always impresses the girls). Cheers Aviator
Old 07-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

So... I think where we are going with this thread is that its a personal choice. If you are in a city where you have stop and go traffic, its a no brainer... Auto is the way to go. But if you are like me and live in the mountains, people usually prefer to row their own. Personally... I would rather have an auto truck and a stick car. The truck/suv is probably going to be the hauler, ie boat ramps... and starting out is hard enough as it is. Add in low traction and xxxxlbs pulling you into the water, i'd rather have an auto. Yes either would work... but its just easier in an auto. I also agree with gadget on the offroading thing for the same reason. But at the same time a manual will be much more fun. I go to work on a very twisty road and wish I had a manual every day. I often use the lower gears b/c I don't want to tarnish my rotors eventhough autos aren't really made to do so every day. I also go to school in a city where I know I am glad I have an auto. I love manuals, but all in all, i think autos are more practical in a truck. Oh yeah, and I haven't driven a newer 4Runner/Taco manual, but generally truck trannies are far from short throws. My step-mom's trooper manual really is like rowing a boat, each throw is a good 8inches. anyway... i'll quit blabing... oh yeah, and gadget, you suck
Old 07-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

I can tell you from my experience that the auto sure makes things a lot eaiser.
Now Gadget, if wheeling was easy, it wouldn't be much fun now would it?

Like I said, with me, it's more of a control freak thing.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My previous 99 Auto = Boring

My current 98 Stick = Fun

Nuff said!

Bob

Quick Reply: Manual VS. Automatic