Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual vs Auto.. is it worth it?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Manual vs Auto.. is it worth it?

I am looking at 4runners for quite a bit and have finally found one! I'm a big fan of the Manual as its more direct but like the convenience of the auto transmission.
I finally found one and it was with a sort of shady dealer.
Its got to be the cleanest 2000 4Runner I have ever seen! looks almost like it came out the factory about 2 years ago and has only been driven on nice sunny days.. not even exagerating.
Anyway I have come to find out that they didnt have the car history report so I paid the $45 to get the histroy and low and behold it doesnt have 108000 miles like its says but more like 276000!! So I was pretty shocked.. anyways he dropped it down to $6250 from $7000. I'm so undecided on what to do. Its probably the cleanest 4runner ever but I'm worried now on the high miles.

Anyways i guess the question should be more what would you do? when I looked into it more its had only 1 owner and has had every service at Toyota.! all big services have been done regularly and it runs very well!
I like the Manual but not the high miles.
Should I rather just go with another 4runner instead that has the Auto or is it worth the extra high miles to keep the Manual transmission?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Big red flags:

1. Miles are incorrect
2. Instantly drops the price

If he drops the price $800, it means he got it for MUCH cheaper. I would pass, there will always be another 4Runner
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Boy that is a hard call to make The fact that the mileage has been changed would be enough to make me walk away right there .

With the mileage you stated it will be ready for the 3rd timing belt has this engine ever been rebuilt??

I love these vehicles but a 275,000 miles I am guessing it is gonna be time for some major work but you already know this .

Is this something you need to take a loan for?? Or is it cash on hand !

I take it the shady dealer is aware you now have the facts about the vehicle it all comes down to what you want to buy if clean looking is what you want by all means offer the dealer $4000.00 if they don`t take it say bye.

Me I would rather have a rattle can painted truck of 6 different colors then one so nice and pretty but the mechanical end was as good as possible.

Yes I am also one for having a clutch only for when things go bad it gives me the option to disengage the drivetrain.

Good luck no matter how it plays out don`t be shy tell us the dealers name so we can call on the phone and tell them the word is out about there shady practices.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 AM

Yeah... My red flags came up instantly but after I did the work and checked with Toyota Dealerships they said that it had done all the required work on the motor. I asked around to figure out why the odometer was changed and I was told by Toyota that if the odometer goes out the DMV require it to be working and that not necessarily needed to be on the vehicle history and was considered a TMU (Total Miles Unknown).
It was a 1 owner that must have been a perfectionist. It was only recently traded in at the VW dealership mid November and then sold at auction. Thats where this guy got it.
I'm sure he must of polished it up quite a bit but its really clean underneath. looks almost brand new.
I dont know.. I kind of want it based off the vehicle history report. I have also seen many 4runner V6 motors going for much longer than 276000. An engine rebuild may be good to do then and I can have piece of mind. how much does an engine rebuild cost?
The other option would be to have a spare motor to put in just in case. I had a buddy of mine that said you can buy a spare engine for about $700 and if it ever did blow up I could have it swapped out in a day or 2.
I'm hoping he goes lower on the price. I have seen plenty of the Automatics go for about $5000 with 200+ miles on them. thats why I wanted to know if it was worth the Manual.?
Do you get better power and better fuel efficiency?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 AM

I'm paying all Cash!.. I just sold my 1972 FJ40 that was fully rebuilt frame up.
Took me 4 years of Winters sitting on a floor scraping crud off every part.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by dhracer3
thats why I wanted to know if it was worth the Manual.
Do you get better power and better fuel efficiency?
dont know much about the newer 4runners, but the manual does have more power and has the ability to get better fuel mileage due to the fact that you control the vehicle. i would say offer the $4000 and if he doesnt accept then walk away. that year of runner would be a good deal for $4000.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pass, who knows what else was done to that. I much prefer buying cars from privet parties then dealers. They usually know a lot more about the car and are more honest, better prices too.

I have seen 4runners sell for way less then that also. Heck I spent $9k on my 2000 limited 4wd in mint condition with 130k miles on it with all the options, 5 years ago.

Prices have dropped a lot since then, should be able to find a car like that for around $5k-$6k now days without much trouble. Check craiglist, I am sure something will pop up.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I would also pass. He's asking too much for almost 300k. The manuals aren't that rare. If you have a buddy willing to swap your engine maybe you could buy an auto and have him swap the trannys.