Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual vs Auto question

Old 03-01-2003, 01:46 AM
BOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs Auto question

I guess this question doesn't only apply to Runners but to cars/trucks in general. Why is it that manual transmission is quicker and more powerful than an auto?

Does this mainly have to do with the driver rather than the actual tranny?

I mean does this very by driver or by car? or can a manual pretty much always outrun an auto of the same car/engine/dimensions etc etc...
Old 03-01-2003, 03:32 AM

My understanding is that its due to friction losses since there are a lot of things that the power has to flow through, there will be some loss of the power transmitted, also there is built in clutch slippage in the autos that you dont have in the manual. Remember, an auto uses a torque convertor, which is a fluid coupled connection. The flywheel spins one part, that part spins fluid, that fluid via friction will spin another part, that part is tied to the input shaft of the transmission. If my understanding is correct, autos can be modified somewhat to reduce the slippage and lag to a great degree and that will allow more power to the wheels, but I think they always will reduce the power to the wheels just a little over the manuals. There are many though who swear by autos on the dragstrip, so they can be setup better for that than they are stock from the factory. So a well setup auto may lose just a little torque and HP to the wheels, but the ease of use, durability and diminished chance of stripping the gears or missing a shift make them desireable by many over a manual. Ive seen autos outrun manuals, mainly due to driver error though. Seems like I read that autos have better torque multiplication too, but that confuses me. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:09 AM

I dont know any specifics but my theory has always been a manual has 5 gears and an auto has 4. This added gear raises the gear ratio making it seem more powerful and faster. I guess you could get the same result by getting a higher gear for an auto.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto trannies do steal power that would normally make it to the wheels. They do have internal friction and slippage and they also draw on the engine to pump the transmission fluid. The heat that an auto tranny produces is a testament to its inefficiency. A gearbox stays bathwater warm and sends nearly all the input power out to the output. An auto tranny turns much more power into heat, making it necessary to add aux. coolers and dissapate energy that would be making it to the wheels if you had a manual tranny.

A good driver with a manual tranny shifts very fast and keeps the clutch tight (shoves it in to shift, dumps it right away) and can pull better times than with an auto tranny. A less competant gearbox driver shifts too slow and at the wrong times and allows the clutch to slip too much and can be passed by any knucklehead with an auto tranny capable of holding the pedal to the floor.

Other disadvantages of auto trannies:

Need fluid in order to operate. If you lose the fluid on the trail, the truck won't move under its own power. If a manual gearbox dumps its lube, you can still limp home.

Heavier, more expensive to purchase and maintain, more complicated.

Eric