Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hubs Necessary?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hubs Necessary?!?!?!

I am ordering some Downey coils on Monday and was wondering if I HAD to get some manual hubs in order for them to work correctly. I have heard about people having problems with the CV Joints after installing the coils.

My question is if it worth the 50 bucks + labor to have them installed or should I just go for the coils and see what happens?? That sounds a little risky to me.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Downey's won't effect your front end at all.
But more than likely you will want to crank the T bars up a bit to level it out afterwards, as it will be lower than the rear after new coils.

That's where the manaul hubs come into play.
If you are gonna crank, you need manual hubs, or you put undue stress on your CV joints & boots.

There are two write-ups in Tech on doing manual hubs.
Most Toy dealers will charge about $75 to install them for you if you go that route.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm...sounds like its not going to hurt anything. I might as well just go ahead and get them.

I will be getting them from Yota Yard, what kind of shape are they in (mechanical and cosmetic) are they in usually.

I would really like them to be pretty clean looking...but as long as they work fine I am game!

I will think about it some more over the weekend and then finally decide on Monday.

Thanks for the reply Corey!

Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sure you will want to take them apart and regrease 'em.
Info for that is on my website in the mods section.

Buy some paint also and go at it.
After you paint them, you can take a knife and scrape the paint off the raised letters, and leave it bare metal for a cool effect.
Then shoot clear paint over the whole hub.
That is how I did mine.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

OK man, hopefully I am qualified enough to do all that.

I'll look at your write-up...I guess I will be ordering those tomorrow as well.

Do you think any local shop would be able to do that easily? Should I trust them, or should I spend the extra 25 bucks and take it to Toyota?

Thanks Corey you rock :rockband:

Old 08-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I left my fronts at stock height, I didn't want to deal with getting it re-aligned. The back is slightly higher than the front but it's not too noticable. So if you don't want to spend the money on hubs and an alignment then you don't have to.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:10 PM

you should install hubs regardless if your cranking the bars up or not,why have your diff ,cv shafts and drive shaft spinning all the time when your not using them.Hubs save ware and tare !!
Old 08-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

I'll probably just go ahead and order them I guess. Do you guys think I need to have a Toyota Dealer do the coils? My local place charges $75/hr., my regular place charges $50/hr. and then another place charges $45/hr. The place that charges $45/hr. is more of a modding place though, they do a lot of modding to cars so...they may be the place to have both the hubs and coils done.

Hmm...well, sounds like I will be ordering a pair of Downey Coils and a pair of Aisin Hubs tomorrow after school (school starts tomorrow!)

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will have more questions later and I will post about those too. I just want to make sure I get everything right the first time.

Thanks again guys!

Yotatech :rockband:

Old 08-17-2003, 07:08 AM

if youre mechanically inclined...doing the coils isnt really a difficult project to tackle...but if you are going to do the coils id suggest that you do your shocks while youre at it...this would be a better use of your money right now than manual hubs...to replace coils you gotta remove shocks...often times they dont wanna cooperate...especially if you are trying to keep them in good shape to put back in...for all of this have you looked at UKMeyers write up in the tech section ?

i would suggest that you do the coils and shocks and see how the rig sits...then if the back is a bit high...order the hubs and crank away on the t bars...i didnt have to crank t bars at all...after the coils mine sat perfectly level id like to add hubs later but for right now i dont "need" em

just my .02...hope it helps
Old 08-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah...

I would like some Bils...

Any suggestion on which type or model or whatever and where to get them?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-17-2003, 07:40 PM

chris...heres where i got mine...called and got em for $62 each...these guys say they will match any competitors price...
hope this helps

kai

BTW...these are good up to a 2" lift...so they are fine for Downey coils..
http://www.performancecenter.com/pro...Runner&sf4=4WD

Last edited by kaiberg; 08-17-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Fink don't sweat the front. I didn't touch mine and after a measurement the front is 1/8" lower than the back. Not noticeable without a tape measure. You probably will have to adjust your headlights and your seat position though if you have a real saggy A$$. My headlights were pointing at the ground after doing mine I also had to bump my seat up a notch.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:00 AM

I also left the front untouched after installing Downey HD coils and my vehicle sits quite level (IMO). It even sags in the back some when its loaded down with gear. Installing the coils isn't too difficult. I have a writeup here that gives a skeleton outline of the install, shows some before and after pics, and shows that the stock shocks will limit travel after the coils are installed (stock ones are about 2-3" too short). You probably won't need new hubs w/ just the coils, but they wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I am seriously considering getting some new shocks.

I just need to decide if I want to spend that kinda money right now.

Thanks for ALL the help guys, the Downey's are in the mail and should be here on Friday

Thanks again, this board rocks!