Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub conversion/questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hub conversion/questions

Few questions for you guys.....the time has finally arrived where i can afford manual hubs for my truck(and consequently restore the 4wd operation of my rig) My questions are:
Which hubs are better; Aisin or Warn?
I am mostly on-road with some off-road whenever possible, and the price has to be right...the Warns are roughly $200 and I'm not sure where to look for a good price on the Aisins, or even what a good price is. Do either have an advantage over the other? Oh, forgot, i have a 1990 SR5.

Second question that hopefully someone here can answer(i have no doubt in my mind) My bud and I were discussing manual hubs, and he had said you can leave them locked and drive around normally when the truck is in 2wd. I didnt agree with him, but im not sure. Is it bad for the drivetrain or hubs? It seemed to me he was just lazy and didnt want to spend the extra 90 seconds it takes to hop out and unlock them. But, then again, his experience is on his shops's Ford F-250 deisel.

So....any takers?

Your uneducated and slightly confused stereo geek
Bucky
Old 02-25-2003, 12:59 PM

Hey Bucky.

I just recently did the conversion to Warn hubs. Performance Products has them at $126.95 right now. Unless you need the conversion kit (I didn't) which is another 60 bucks. Not too sure about the benefits of choosing one over the other. Maybe someone else can answer that.

As for the second part, if you leave the hubs locked in (4wd) you can still drive around in 2 wheel, but it defeats the purpose of getting manual hubs. When they are locked in the axle shafts still spin, causing unnecessary wear on the cv joints.

So, if you aren't too lazy, save yourself some grief/money in the long run and UNLOCK them.

Good luck, man.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aisins

The Aisins are OE for Toyota and are pretty bulletproof.

Here's a thread started by yours truly with some good info.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:15 PM

i lock mine if it just snowed or something and i think i'll be needing 4wd... it really hurts your gas mileage though, as well as extra wear on other things (CV's) like sidfactor said. the only thing i dont like is if its realy cold out and you need to get out and lock the hubs. but thats not a big deal.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Bucky,

I have both Warns and Aisin hubs although I haven't installed the Aisin hubs yet. I've been happy with the Warns thus far. They were installed in October of last year. I've taken them offroad a few times and I also had them in use for almost a week straight when N. VA got hit with the snow storm last week.

If you can wait a month or so, I'll sell you my Warns once I get the Aisins refurbished.

Of course I'll sell them at a reduced price.

Matt
Old 02-27-2003, 06:30 PM

Hey Bucky,

My recommendation is to get the Aisin due to the following reasons:

1. Easy to rebuild.
2. They are pretty much bulletproof.
3. Hub body is shiny, heavy, and made of heavy chrome.
4. They are Toyota OEM.
5. Removal and Installation is a piece of cake.
6. A lot cheaper if you know where to find them.

Now for your second question:

Just like what other people here said, you can still drive in 2WD with both hubs locked but then again you put more stress on your axle shafts, CV joints, and CV boots. It doesn't take that long to lock and unlock them, unless you really that lazy and don't have time to do just that.

And if you decided to get the Aisin then you need the following part numbers to rebuild them. These are original Toyota parts.

43422-60010 Gasket - this is the gasket between the axle hub and the Aisin hub body.

43531-60010 Gasket - star gasket between the hub body and cover.

43532-60010 O-ring- located between the cover and dial to act as a seal to prevent water intrusion when submerged in deep water.

M6-1.0x16MM Stainless Steel bolts can be acquired from Lowe's- these bolts hold the cover in place to mate with the hub body. There are 5 bolts in each packet and the price per packet is just 0.67 cents . This is way cheaper than buying the stock bolts for .88 cents per bolt.

#12 Washers- Stainless Steel washers that match with M6-1.0x16MM bolts also available at Lowe's. 0.57 cents per packet with 5 washers.

Don't forget to lube and coat all moving parts when you are ready to rebuild them. I lubed mine with Amsoil High Temp Multi Purpose Synthetic Grease.

Also if you can get two 12MM bolts for you to use as a puller in removing the ADD. When you loosen those nuts back them off flushed to the studs to prevent those cone washers from flying. Or use a brass drifts and a big freakin hammer. Put that end of drift against the stud and hit that drift hard like you have a pair with that hammer. Hope this info assisted you in any way.

Noel
Old 02-27-2003, 06:42 PM

Shown here are two 12MM bolts to pull the ADD off the axle hub.
Attached Thumbnails Manual Hub conversion/questions-12mm-bolts-pull-add-off.jpg  
Old 02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Noel, a question.
When I rebuilt my Aisin hubs I bought a few years back, I did not use new bolts.
They are pretty sad looking compared to new ones.

When Mytruck (Jim) had his put on last year they used new ones and they look great.

If I pick up some M6-1.0x16MM bolts from Lowes, can I just leave the hubs on and take off one bolt at a time and put the new ones in?

What about the torque settings for it?
I don't have the specs here with me.
Thanks,
Old 02-27-2003, 06:58 PM

Hey Corey,

Yes Corey, you can leave your hubs on and your old bolts but replace them one at at time and torque them to no more than 9 ft lbs. I did replace the stock bolts and washers 45 minutes ago. I will return the stock bolts and washers to Toyota tomorrow morning because they were brand spanking new and I would like to get my mone back. Those bolts and washers from Lowe's were stainless steel and rust resistance. The torque setting is between 7-8.5 ft lbs. I torqued mine to 9 ft lbs.

M6-1.0x16MM bolts are perfect and same length as the stocks. #12 Washers same diameter as the stock washers with a little larger hole otherwise it is perfect.

Corey, did you see my Aisin painted yellow? Did you notice those new bolts from Toyota? They were replaced by bolts and washers from Lowe's.

Noel
Old 02-27-2003, 07:01 PM

I'd go with Aisins as they are stock and pretty much nuke proof, and cheap if you can find them at a wrecking yard. I got mine for 20 bucks for four. Painted the centres blue and they look like new. Save the bucks for other mods.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Noel, they look good.
Same grease I used too.

Here is my torque wrench, and i hope it's not to big for the hubs.
It's 17" long, and I think 1/4 drive?
Not sure, it's been years since I have used it.

It's a Craftsman I picked up maybe 10 years ago.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:27 PM

Corey, your torque wrench looks like 3/8" drive. Is it in inch lbs or ft lbs.? Well, if it is in inch lbs. you know what to do right? You need to convert inch to ft to get the torque value. I leave that to you and if you need help let me know. Make you not to drop that torque wrench coz they are sensitive and they are precision measuring equipment and needs some extra care. Once you drop them, your torque setting will be way off and inaccurate.

Thanks for the compliment of those hubs.

Noel
Old 02-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Well, it's in nuteon meters or something like that.
I can't read it now as my contacts are out soaking
I'll have to read it in the morning.

Maybe you can make sense out of this?
http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/torque_wrench2.jpg

Oh yeah, I meant 3/8 drive also.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:53 PM

Corey, just by looking at that picture of the torque wrench I know that the Newton meters is the front side, you need to look at the back side where the ft lbs is located. All Sears torque wrench has a combination of Newton Meter and Ft Lbs or Inch Lbs front and back.

Just check it out in AM to see what I mean. Did you already painted you Downey with Apple Candy Red? Read my reply back to you on that thread.

Have a nice night. I've got to go, it's 11:52 PM here in the East Coast and I've got to go back to work tomorrow to serve the United States Navy. Just proud to serve!!!

Noel
Old 02-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Noel, indeed it does say ft lbs on the back
I have it set to 9 lb, and may tackle it tomorrow weather permitting.
Lowe's had all the bolts and washers too.

Took me awhile to figure out how to set it as it stops at 10, but you can back track from that.

Oh yeah, you have to be real careful about not dropping these.
One of my jobs at Boeing before the layoff was I was an in plant "UPS" type of driver.

People put out freight and I picked it up, and delivered to them.
Daily I use to go to the Cal/Cert area and pick up about 500 tools a day, and a majority of those were torque wrenches.
They daily calibrated them.

Small ones way smaller than my Sears one, all the way up to 5' ones.
Those suckers were huge

I'd probably have to pop out my coils to paint them, and that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:25 AM

hubs???

I converted my 924runner ADD to warn hubs and love them on my other toys i had the stuck hubs and beat the snot out of them and never had a problem except after many river and mud crossing they start to get hard to turn i just took them apart and clean them and they were back to normal. A friend of mine has a sr5 pickup with a 220hp buick v6 a never broken a stuck hub yet snaped many of axels but never had a problem with the hubs.