Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

manual to auto locking hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual to auto locking hubs?

i have a 00 tacoma. it came factory with manual hubs. i just changed the lift and the lift i got has automatic locking hubs, so i was wondering if i could just change the hubs or do i have to change the wheel bearings as well?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why change to auto diff disconnect (ADD)? You don't have the required other parts to run your add properly, if you installed the add spindles on your gonna be running around like your hubs are always locked.

I wouldn't do this, I changed from add to manual, and i think it was worth it.

Its too much work to swap over your manual hubs to add, you have to pull the spindle and then take the spindles to have the bearings pressed out (which destroys the bearing) and then have your add pressed in with new bearings. When I was replacing my wheel bearings most places wouldn't or couldn't do this, took a specialty machine shop to do it.

Way too much work and added expense to do it. You got the labor of installing the bearings, for me was around 100 bucks. Then you have new bearings and seals, which is around 150 bucks. So your paying 250 bucks more, and the time it takes to do it while you can't drive your truck, to swap to IMHO a lesser design then what you have.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It came with Auto hubs, right? I hate auto hubs. They don't engauge unless you are in 4wd AND are moving. If you get stuck in 2wd then shift into 4wd the hubs will NOT lock. Don't change to autos keep the manual hubs.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

well heres the thing. i recently changed my lift from a tuff country to a fabtech. but the fab came with auto hubs and i want to put my manual hubs on or make the autos work. so how hard is it, can i do this at home or do i need the wheel bearings pressed.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 AM

To swap to one or the other you need your stuff pressed out and pressed in with new bearings and seals.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 AM

kaumana, im guessing youre in hilo. where you gonna get your machine work done?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I have a question, I bought some auto hubs from a guy and all he sent were the insides from a early 90's vehicle. I am trying to convert a first gen 4 runner from manuals to auto hubs. (please don't flame me, I have my reasons) but he did not send the outside housings. I am guessing I need the housings and will the hubs even work on my older axle styles? He said they engaged and disengaged on the fly but my owners manual from the first gen trucks says you have to back up to disengage. Am I trying to put a square peg in a round hole? Do I have to have first gen hubs for this to work?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by khoopes
I have a question, I bought some auto hubs from a guy and all he sent were the insides from a early 90's vehicle. I am trying to convert a first gen 4 runner from manuals to auto hubs. (please don't flame me, I have my reasons) but he did not send the outside housings. I am guessing I need the housings and will the hubs even work on my older axle styles? He said they engaged and disengaged on the fly but my owners manual from the first gen trucks says you have to back up to disengage. Am I trying to put a square peg in a round hole? Do I have to have first gen hubs for this to work?

Thanks for any help.
The auto hubs are a completely different unit, I took some off my 87 SR5 to install manual hubs, but, I threw the autos in the trash can... and yes, you have to back up 30 feet to get the autos to disconnect... it should not be too hard to find a complete set for a low price.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by khoopes

Thanks for any help.
There are manual and automatic hubs:
- http://www.off-road.com/offroad/arti....jsp?id=399668
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

And later the automatic hubs were replaced with Automatic Differential Disconnect and those used drive flanges in place of a locking hub:
- http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add

So are you trying to convert to automatic hubs or the ADD drive flanges? Need to be clear since they are all different beasts.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-21-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate auto hubs!

IF you go with auto hubs remember to shift into 4wd BEFORE you get stuck/stop and can't move. If you aren't moving they will not lock. They also will not lock if the rear wheels are spinning (slipping and moving faster than the fronts).
Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I think the things I have are for ADD. It sounds like they will not work. I will post a picture of the parts as soon as I get chance.

So, I need a set of Auto hubs for My 87 runner and another set for my 88 pickup. I will have one manual set for trade or sale.