Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Maintaince and storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintaince and storage

I'll be headed home from Iraq sometime in Feb for my 2 weeks R&R. I already know that I have to replace the drivers side inner tie rod. My wife took it for an oil change and inspection and it failed because of that. I was wondering what other maintaince I should do for my 4runner while I am home. I'm probably getting divorced while I am home on my R&R so she'll be sitting for about 8 months. What do I need to do to store her right.

It got a new battery about 2 or 3 weeks ago, should I disconnect it? Oil change less than a week ago. I will proably change the oil again before I head back and fill up the gas tank and add some stay-bil. I was also planning on changing the tranny fluid, cause it's over due, and the transfer case and diffs cause they're almost due. What weight fluid do I use for those? I've always been a big fan of redline but I do have bottles of royal purple in the garage.

Also, where are all the grease zirts? I'll grease it too.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you got most covered. Especially storing it with a full tank of gas. Less room for moisture to get it. This is some good stuff since it will sit a while
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fog.aspx
It keeps everything coverd inside you sure dont want the insides collect moisture and rust.
It might not hurt to jack it up of the tires so it doesnt just sit on them and flat spot them, it can weaken the belts.
Get a battery tender it will keep your battery fresh even tho its new.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to first thank you for your service!

About storage:
I would disconnect the battery,even still after 8 months,you might need a charger when you get back to get the battery back up..I would not keepp a battery tender on it for that long,I would worry about a fire,unless its in a garage and someone checks up on it every now and then.

Gear oil,I just use 80-90w,gl4-gl5.

The zerks are on the front and rear driveshafts,you will have to get the tires off the ground,and in neutral to spin them to reach all the fittings.

For the trans,I would do a drain and fill at the pan,then do a flush at the cooler lines(do a search for procedure)

Now is a good time for a coolant drain and fill as well,over time coolant can becone acidic..so if its been a couple years,I would do this as well.

Sta-bil is a good idea in the fuel.

To avoid flat spots in tires,most of time its not that big of a deal and will smooth out,but you could put the vehical on stands or..pump up the tire pressure put them at 45-50psi or so..smaller footprint on tread,also it will loose air over time,so that will be fine.

If you are storing outside and w/o a cover ,and have a moonroof,I would mask tape or green painters tape(wide) around the moonroof opening where the rubber meets the roof skin,if you have a slight blockage in a drain tube and it sees some downpours,you might come back to a moldy/wet interior...if inside or with a cover don't bother...the tape will come off w/o hurting glass rubber paint.

Might want to tape up your a/c drain tube as well,to keep out spiders/cridders...They are always looking for new homes.

Sitting that long,you might consider spraying the front rotors with wd40 or rust penetrant,so the rotors don't rust and pit up bad..Just need to hit w/ brake cleen before you drive it next.

Other than that,set the a/c to recirculate,to keep out odors/mold.

May want to lube all your window runs/latches/key cylinders..they can bind over time without use.

Also may want to lube your rear brake bellcranks,or have a hammer handy when you drive it after storage.They might bind after being on for that long.

That's all I can think of....
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. It will be stored inside. Also I don't have a trans cooler with a 5 speed do I?

The tip for the brake rotors will be nice because I am probably going to be redoing the front brakes and maybe doing the tundra brake upgrade.