Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Main pulley retention bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main pulley retention bolt

Man..... this thing is a killer.
i'm looking for some more ideas on how to get this thing to break loose. i've got an 86 22re 200k with a front seal leak. i'm also doing some odds and ends while the tranny is out.
i've tried 120#'s of air on an impact wrench both left and right (trying to at least break the thing) and a breaker bar, again, both left and right, but no good at all. i cant get the thing to budge. it's just the retention bolt.
any ideas or experience?
thanx in advance ya'll
brad
Old 02-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamayote
Man..... this thing is a killer.
i'm looking for some more ideas on how to get this thing to break loose. i've got an 86 22re 200k with a front seal leak. i'm also doing some odds and ends while the tranny is out.
i've tried 120#'s of air on an impact wrench both left and right (trying to at least break the thing) and a breaker bar, again, both left and right, but no good at all. i cant get the thing to budge. it's just the retention bolt.
any ideas or experience?
thanx in advance ya'll
brad
Those bolts are on there but good.
You need to use a 24" chain or heavy duty strap wrench along with a 36" breaker bar or pipe over a ratchet.
It takes some muscle strength even then.

Sounds like your impact gun needs to be upgraded.
Get yourself either an Ingersoll Rand IR2131A AIR IMPACT GUN 1/2 UD
or a Snap On Im6100 1/2" Impact Wrench Gun

The ingersoll rand gun is the one I use now and man it has balls!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Those bolts are on there but good.
You need to use a 24" chain or heavy duty strap wrench along with a 36" breaker bar or pipe over a ratchet.
It takes some muscle strength even then.

Sounds like your impact gun needs to be upgraded.
Get yourself either an Ingersoll Rand IR2131A AIR IMPACT GUN 1/2 UD
or a Snap On Im6100 1/2" Impact Wrench Gun

The ingersoll rand gun is the one I use now and man it has balls!
Amen, I still use a 231 that I bought in 1976, and other that rebuilding the vanes several times it hasn't given me any problems and always gets the job done.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:53 PM

thanx jamie!! i wanted to make sure i wasnt in danger of breaking the head off the bolt before i put too much muscle into it ( probably lacking in the muscle dept anyway......lol). and admittedly you're right about the impact wrench! i was planning to upgrade anyway.
thanx again!!!!!!!! always a source of great info!
brad
Old 02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

thanx jamie!! i wanted to make sure i wasnt in danger of breaking the head off the bolt before i put too much muscle into it ( probably lacking in the muscle dept anyway......lol). and admittedly you're right about the impact wrench! i was planning to upgrade anyway.
thanx again!!!!!!!! always a source of great info!
brad
No prob man!

Make sure you get a gun with about 500-600 ft-lbs in reverse to get that bolt off.
Need to be careful when using the gun elsewhere tho....I have snapped 9/16" bolts with it before.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM

one last thing i forgot to ask. if i may.

this thing IS a right handed thread correct?

thanx
brad
Old 02-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

correct ,right hand thread,lefty looseee
Old 02-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

I changed the front main on my 85 Celica (22RE) and I used the starter with a breaker bar to break the crank pully bolt loose.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hey!
I made a handy little tool to get my crank pulley bolt off of my 3.0. Should be about the same with your 22Re, but I'm not sure how many power steering screw holes there are (4 on the 3.0). Here's what I did (cut and pasted off a similar topic a bit ago):

Just get a 4"x 1/8" x about 3' piece of steal. Use your power steering pulley as a template and drill 4 screw holes (where it screws into your crank pulley) into the end of your piece of steal. Then drill a big hole (like 2"1/4 or something) in the center of these 4 holes. Then screw your piece of steal into the crank pulley where the power steering pulley usually goes. Let the rest of the piece of steal either rest under the frame rail or you can have it coming up and use it as a handle to keep your crank from turning. You can use a socket to get to the crank bolt through the big hole you just drilled. It worked great for me!

Well, hope that helps!
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM

hmmmmmm that sounds like a winner dh!!!
wont be able to work on it until next week, but i'll let ya know
everyone here's always a huge help!!!!
thanx again ya'll
brad
Old 02-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
uh.....or you could just get a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar and the 19mm socket and unplug the coil and stick the breaker bar on the lower passenger side of the frame with the socket on the bolt and hit the starter for 1 second. thats it, the bolt comes off and the breaker bar hangs down for you.

T
Old 02-29-2004, 09:08 AM

good plan duff! in fact i plan to try that when i get the tranny back in this week. i'm waiting on the gasket between the tc and tranny. when i have a place to hold the starter i'll try it.
thanx so much!!
brad
Old 02-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duffdog
uh.....or you could just get a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar and the 19mm socket and unplug the coil and stick the breaker bar on the lower passenger side of the frame with the socket on the bolt and hit the starter for 1 second. thats it, the bolt comes off and the breaker bar hangs down for you.

T
Be careful with doing that cause if the socket get crooked it will destroy the hexhead on the bolt.
Use a deep impact socket if you attempt this at all.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:56 AM

good advice mtl,
i'm still looking for an excuse to get that IR 2135 as well!! lol
i cant seem to find the 2131 anymore around here.
cya
Old 02-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

good advice mtl,
i'm still looking for an excuse to get that IR 2135 as well!! lol
i cant seem to find the 2131 anymore around here.
cya
There are a bunch on ebay if you want.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 PM

Be careful with doing that cause if the socket get crooked it will destroy the hexhead on the bolt.
Use a deep impact socket if you attempt this at all.

thats true...but thats how they do it at the dealer-- make sure there are no extensions and you have a high quality socket and you should be fine.

T
Old 02-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

thats true...but thats how they do it at the dealer-- make sure there are no extensions and you have a high quality socket and you should be fine.

T
Which dealer does this?
Are you are tech at a dealer?

I have never seen em do this......usually just a shadetree trick.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:01 PM

well, i went to sears and bought a IR 2135 (they had a sale). between working a full time job in an ER and part time construction job (helping a friend build his house) i didn't want to wait for a catalog order come in. so i got one anyway.
but to no avail. didn't even budge, no extension, short socket, craftsman and cobalt, tried em both.
no good. i found a piece of 2.5" of angle iron and mounted it on the pulley as per the instructions above. it rested against the frame and i went at it with a breaker bar and 5 ft cheater bar.
nope. i was able to move the engine about 2" while pulling at the cheater bar, but no good, no movement, no break.
wow, i'm out of options here. the next thing i'm thinking of is a 1" drive impact. lol, but i guess i'd have to take the grill off and shoot an extension through there to get to the bolt.
mtl, i reall really appreciate all the help you've given! i just cant seem to catch a break! i know you helped me when i had a 0171 code on my 99, and although i didn't seem to be listening, i was trying to stay away from the stealership.......lol
anyway, i just wanted to say thanx and i'm sorry if it seems like i'm shoot everyones ideas down. i'm really not. just tryin' em out and i'm stuck.
when i get the tranny in, maybe i cant try bumping the engine, but my thinking is that if i cant move it with a 5ft cheater bar, will i be in danger of breaking some teeth on the flywheel or starter?
thanx again ya'll!!
brad

Last edited by bamayote; 03-01-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 PM

Which dealer does this?
Are you are tech at a dealer?

I have never seen em do this......usually just a shadetree trick.
maita toyota
roseville toyota
reno toyota
magnussens auburn toyota
etc...

including the shop foreman at maita--just like they use corn oil on fuel injectors, not because it says it in the manual, but because it saves time and works ( if you do it right )

T
Old 03-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

T
This method worked on mine, I had tried everything else to no avail, it broke loose on the first turn of key.

Quick Reply: Main pulley retention bolt