Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

M/T or A/T

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M/T or A/T

Within the next couple weeks i'll be lifting my runner and adding new tires (285/70/16). I've been very interested in the Destination M/T's and got a quote for ~$175 each from my local tire shop. The only thing is, though i would love to have these tires, are they really neccesary. Most of the money going into them isnt mine, but i will have to chip in $100-120 if i go with these rather than A/T's. My other option would be the BFGoodrich A/T's which would be cheaper (probly $20-40 less per tire) and better wear and mileage.

I usualy go fourwheeling a couple times a month, not something i do weekly. The terrain is sometimes muddy, but mostly loose dirt and rocks as well as deep ruts and steep hills. I dont ride on large rocks/boulders and stuff like that. Anyways, my main question is, will the A/Ts be able to tackle terrain similar to the M/Ts or is there a noticeable difference between the two. Im willing to shell out the exta 100, but im just wondering if there are some 'undersireable side effects' that the M/Ts have that the A/Ts dont.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

MT's are noisier and ride harsher, AT's are quiet and ride smooth and wear longer. sand/gravel go AT's. Mud, rocks, trees, squirrels... go MT's. I have the MT's with 5k miles, no apreciable wear, about to rotate them, noisy? Yes, its a trait of all MT's, roll up the windows or turn the radio up! They hook up great off road!.

I love the look of these tires (destination MT's), and get looks and questions at every stop light, parking lot, club run/meeting. Ask your dealer for a discount, I got my 33x12.5x15's for 150.00 each.

Last edited by shiftless89; 07-12-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

If you want function, Yokohama Geolander AT+II. They will be your best bet to be your daily driver and do better off road then a lot of MT's in the worst mud. That's a tested statement.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Renegades
Within the next couple weeks i'll be lifting my runner and adding new tires (285/70/16). I've been very interested in the Destination M/T's and got a quote for ~$175 each from my local tire shop. The only thing is, though i would love to have these tires, are they really neccesary. Most of the money going into them isnt mine, but i will have to chip in $100-120 if i go with these rather than A/T's. My other option would be the BFGoodrich A/T's which would be cheaper (probly $20-40 less per tire) and better wear and mileage.

I usualy go fourwheeling a couple times a month, not something i do weekly. The terrain is sometimes muddy, but mostly loose dirt and rocks as well as deep ruts and steep hills. I dont ride on large rocks/boulders and stuff like that. Anyways, my main question is, will the A/Ts be able to tackle terrain similar to the M/Ts or is there a noticeable difference between the two. Im willing to shell out the exta 100, but im just wondering if there are some 'undersireable side effects' that the M/Ts have that the A/Ts dont.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Have you lifted your truck yet???? If not, the 285s WON"T fit
Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't been wheeling for long and therefore haven't decided what you like to do off road, I would say wait as long as possible to get new tires. I thought the same as you a couple years ago when I was looking for new tires, that I only went a couple times a month and that I wanted the better mileage and quieter ride of the A/T's so I got a set of BFG AT's. They are great on and off road, there is no denying that, I loved them for a long time, now I wheel all the time and I still have plenty of tread left on them but now I wish I had gone with the M/T because I want the better off road performance. So if you only go a couple times a month and it isn't that serious and you know that is all you will want to do, I say go with the A/T's, however, if there is a chance you will get into it more, go more often, and do more serious stuff, go with the M/T's definitely.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i only wheel here and there (once every couple weeks), and i love my mt/rs. they arent technically a mud tire according to goodyear at least, but they might as well be.

yes, theyre loud, but ive come to love that hum. they grip so well, run great through water, mud, rocks and dirt... and they look badass too
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 PM

I've had both BFG ATs and MTs, currently ATs. The MT is a better off road tire, can't deny that. But the AT is just fine, particularly for dirt roads and mild stuff it will do the job. It is much quieter on the road and last longer. They are also better in the rain and snow, so a better all around tire than the MT (so I guess All Terrain is not just a clever name).

I've had my ATs out with the lockers a couple of times now and have been in one situation that the AT just did not hook up, but I had 20 psi in them and didn't work on the obstacle too much, so I bet I could have made it with a little time. Otherwise, I've been able to get through everything with a bit of throttle or line selection.

I have to second that Yokohama recommendation. I think this might be a better selection for what you're trying to do. I would have gone that way, but wanted the pizza cutters and BFG was the only way to get a narrower tire in 33" height.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my m/ts and i can take on road turns faster than guys in sports cars (there is 1 turn with a 25 or 30mph speedlimit that most ppl take at about 40 if they are pushin it and i did it at 60. yeah all 4 tires were sliding sideway but hey it wuz fun) and they r awesome off road to. and u can't beat $99 a tire for 31s (dealer price) oh and they seem to b wereing good

Last edited by yotaluver; 07-12-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM

I always thought it would be great to have two sets of wheels and tires. AT for everyday use and MT for when I plan to go off road. If it is a daily driver, definately go with the AT. I have MT on my 86 truck and AT on my 97 runner. The MT are much much louder and dont ride as well, but from my experience work much better in most off road conditions.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 PM

I would be the ATs will be fine, but MTs are a safer bet and are much cooler. I love my Destination MTs... mileage isn't what I was hoping for, but probably will be about average for an MT.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:47 AM

my destination MT's are a GREAT tire off-road!!!...a decent tire on-road (at slow speeds) good in the rain on pavement....to my surprize...and not that noisy. (thought they would be louder?)
2 things that are annoying (which are linked)...1-at highway speeds they tend to wander and wiggle and 2- they are not easy to balance.

oh yeah...and mileage sucks!...but i lik'em.

-B
Old 07-13-2005, 04:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

my mt/rs are actually really stable at high speeds on the highway. i drive 30 highway miles 5 days a week to get to and from work, speeds ranging from 40 to 75, and theyre just great.

if you make a sudden movement, theyll grip just fine, but may take a little getting used to as they dont compose themselves quite as fast or easy as street tires.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BADLNDS
my destination MT's are a GREAT tire off-road!!!...a decent tire on-road (at slow speeds) good in the rain on pavement....to my surprize...and not that noisy. (thought they would be louder?)
2 things that are annoying (which are linked)...1-at highway speeds they tend to wander and wiggle and 2- they are not easy to balance.

oh yeah...and mileage sucks!...but i lik'em.

-B
Maybe you should try another shop, (balancing) I run 75 to 80 every day in my comute (slow lane believe it or not!) and my destinations do not wander at all. they will grab road imperfections, but all wide tires do.. or maybe you have some worn components (bj's, tre's, idler, week steering stablizer?)
Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM

shiftless...had them balanced again...watched them do it (they seemed to balance). Had everything checked (bj', tierods, etc...) only thing they found was worn steering rack bushings. I will be replacing with polyurethane ones.

but it feels more like a balancing problem...or maybe i got a bad batch of tire???.

still lik'em!
-B
Old 07-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

I truly love my ATs, it feels and sounds like stock (thanks Toyota for the 4.88 gears!). The tread on these BFGs are more agressive than I expected and it works for not so difficult trails.

I don't wheel much since I just bought a house, so this is a better choice for now. Next tires might be MTRs or Geolanders.

FYI, I bought my ATs for $125 a piece w/ road hazard warranty, so it was a deal I could not pass up.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 AM

My destination MTs are hard to balance as well. I don't think they wander, but the wider tire definitely does pick up changes in pavement faster than my old tires (narrower) did. They have cupped as well, not sure why though...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jacksonpt check ur air pressure?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by yotaluver
jacksonpt check ur air pressure?
Are you asking me if I check it or what it is?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on where you wheel...

Mt's are great for mud, rocks, and general trail use.....but they suffer in sand and on the road.

Mud terraisn are pretty aggressive and tend to sink you into the sand. I run BFG AT's aired down and I have never been stuck....knock on wood. They ride great on the road and have good life as long as you align them.

I am a moderate off-roader (Like to go 2-3 times a month, semi-technical riding), and All terrains work great for me.

Then Again I can live with the quirks of an auto locker, so the quirks of an MT probably wouldn't bother me either. It's just the tire life and sand performance.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

i agree with intrepid. i sort of made the same mistake. in general, i say even though you think you might not do something in the future, its good to be prepared. things change and theres a good change your attitude will.

if you go more than once a month, i think the m/t is worth it.

another tire to consider-maxxis mudder buckshots-theyre cheap m/t's, and theyre very quiet. in my personal experience, theyre quieter than my bfg a/t's.
just my opinion.

Quick Reply: M/T or A/T