Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lucky? might be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucky? might be?

My 22re died on me stoppinng at the lights. Figured out the chain broke taking the guides and tensioner with it.

After much finessing I got it stripped down and out of the truck. The timing cover is still on, will get to that later.

Pulled the head figuring a bent valve, maybe a piston with a sunroof option. Aside from a hell of a ridge in the cylinders, the pistons look fine as does the cylinders.

The head /valves look fine to. Other than the exhaust valves are black and the intakes a tan to light chocolate brown that is.

Will take the head in fro work anyhow.

Thinking of putting in bigger valves along with a cam since its off the block. A basic cleanup and all should be fine.

As far as the block, I am thinking of having them check all parts.

A few questions for putting it back together.

I am thinking studs instead of head bolts as they were a bitch to get out and I rounded one off.

What gaskets are best? Keep in mind ALL gaskets are going to be replaced. I am thinking a genuine Toyota for the head, but what about the exhaust and the intake? I have completly disassembled the plenum for cleaning (and it is going SLOWLY getting the gunk out of there).

What about a good replacement clutch? My flywheel is fine but the clutch disc is almost shot, pressure plate is fine, but overall it is a funny wear to the clutch disc.

I am looking for trustworthy brands here as this is my daily driver.

Any suggestions or advice since it is all aprt awaiting rebuild.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would get a centerforce dual friction, it will help out with increased power output of the engine mods and also will help out if you have a heavy foot or do rock crawling, i love mine in my 4x2, and i beat the crap out of my truck.... from what i have read nothing beats the toyota hg hands down.... the stuff engnbldr sells is good stuff though... might wnat to check him out... his prices on everything are on par if not better than local shops, so i would actually see if he can do your machine work... maybe a cam added also..... you will want to replace the timing guides.. i recommend going with steel from doa or lce, however engnbldr does have a single driver side metal backed guide for the 1985 + 22r series motors.. i have a thread around here about upgraded timing chain guides, it has a good amount of info in it.... www.engnbldr.com is ted and he is also a member on this site.. havent heard anything but good stuff about him...