Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Low Profile Cargo Box 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
Thats the best 3rd gen cargo box I've ever seen...and I've seen them all. Very nice job! I'm definitely interested in measurements and more pictures if you have them.
Thanks.

Alrighty, I'll take measurements and draw them up. It'll be a little while though. I have company from out of state and then I'm taking a several day trip to the western slope before the snow season gets too thick.

Rocket, you can come by and take measurements anytime if you like. You're probably only 30 mins from me.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam that is cool. I love it, and I also want one. But I need to keep my backseats in place. Im sure that that disign can be used going up to the back seat as well. Again, best looking storage box I ever seen.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Greatest storage box ever! I am really interested in making one for my rig (but I need my rear seats)

hey! you lost your rear bumper!

Last edited by Atomic; 10-04-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think its an awesome design, but, would be more useful if it was a little taller. I've got 8 inches of room underneath, and can store a ton of stuff in there. At the same time, I can sleep perfectly on a 3" thick mat, and don't have to take out anything during the night. This includes my tool boxes, food bins, surfboards, camping gear etc.

I really cannot think of many things that could fit in the drawers besides some tools, rope, and stuff like that.

Just my $.02... I could never make anything like that, its a great piece of work.

This is mine, still have plenty of room up top too. This is not the finished version, I am too lazy to go outside and get pics at the moment. But, I have it fastened with turn buckles.

There are two surfboards in the center section below btw.
Name:  back5.jpg
Views: 17326
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 AM

I look forward to seeing those diagrams when you get them!

Kudos once again!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah i want some plans so i can build this myself and a materials sheet with where to get someof it would be great as well although i would pay (when i have the $$$) $300 - $350 easy for that to have it pre-built.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
hey! you lost your rear bumper!
Yeah. I took it off to start looking at making a custom bumper with a tire carrier. It's not necessary to remove for the cargo box

There are too many bumper options I'm swimming in ideas.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM

holy moly that is a clean install! It looks factory. I wish I had the know-how and tools to put something like that together. great job!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

that's a good bit of weight but she's so beautiful!
Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 AM

Nicely done. I like the low profile.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still confused what you can actually put in there besides some tools... I think it would be absolutely perfect if it were a little taller.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
that's a good bit of weight but she's so beautiful!
Yeah I wish there was an easy and cheap way to keep the weight off. I guestimate this setup added an extra 75 lbs.

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I'm still confused what you can actually put in there besides some tools... I think it would be absolutely perfect if it were a little taller.
I hear ya. I know 3 inches doesn't seem like much but when I started looking at the supplies and tools that I carry I was surprised to find that this setup fits just about everything I need. I wrestled with the idea of making it 6 - 9 inches high since that's what most everyone else seems to be gravitating to. It's simpler to make the platform higher up to avoid the wheel wells and the extra storage would definitely be handy to have. I also liked the idea of having the bed go all the way across without lessening my sleeping area. Don't get me wrong, I think the cargo boxes that are deeper are very well suited for most everyone. Had I surfboards or something really big like that I would have probably been inspired by your very well thought out design. I'm just a bit of a tweaker, it's fun to me to maximize space-efficiency. It's definitely not perfect for every situation.

To answer your question, below is a list of the things I normally like to carry and that do fit. It doesn't cover every situation just the most important ones that I could think of. If you/anyone has a suggestion of something that would be smart to have in addition, I'm definitely not too proud to think my list is the ultimate. I'm sure there is something essential or critical to have that I'm missing.

I think your setup is great. The amount of people that have setups like yours is testimony to it.

headlamp
extra batteries for headlamp
pocket knife
Makita drill
Makita battery charger
toothbrush, toothpaste, finger nail
clippers, razor, soap, lip balm, shampoo
flip flops
jacket
director's chair
Engle 15 fridge/freezer/heater
gas grill
Coleman lantern
Staun deflators
11' x 14' tarp
pan
pot
paper plates
bowls
cutting board
aluminum foil wide enough for pan
dish soap
scrubber
salt
pepper
powdered garlic
Zip lock bags
5 MREs
Saran wrap
spoons
bug repellant
strike anywhere matches
birthday candle joke type
tweezers
band aids
eye drops
anti inflammatory tablets
sunscreen
plastic garbage bags
cloth hand towels
sun-shower
rope for shower bag
compass
rain jacket
survival kit
multi-tool
jumper cables
water purifier
Nalgene bottle
blue map book
red map book
100 feet of rope for bear bags.
axe
torx bits
drill bits
foldable shovel
hammer
tree saw
MAPP gas tank
MAPP gas torch tip
socket set
tire chains
tire chain tensioners
fire extinguisher
3 quarts engine oil
pint of brake fluid
pint of power steering fluid
1 gal auto transmission fluid
Allen wrenches
crescent medium
pliers
wire cutter/crimper
dikes
standard & Phillips screwdrivers
Vise grips (two)
Back up air compressor
tire pressure gauge
tie downs (ratchet)
leather gloves
yank strap yellow 2"x30' 20k lbs
yank strap ProComp 2"x30' 20k lbs
safety glasses
earplugs
extra white gas fuel (naphtha)
latex rubber gloves
tire plug kit
rope
spool of 16AWG
zip ties
coat hangers
duct tape
WD-40
roll of shop paper towels
JB Weld
bailing wire
soldering iron
solder
butane
black tape
fuses variety pack
soldering iron
solder
tarp snap tie downs
anti diarrhea tablets
butterfly band aids
9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 36mm sockets
tie rod assembly with grease fitting
tie rod puller
CV axle driver and passenger
first aid booklet
needle & thread 4 closing a wound
breaker bar
spare power inverter

Last edited by glenyoshida; 04-10-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

kitchen sink?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shazaam
kitchen sink?
Yeah, i think he just must have forgotten to list it!

Dang you fit ALL of that in there!?!?!? I WANT ONE!

Seriously i really do want one.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, i think he just must have forgotten to list it!

Dang you fit ALL of that in there!?!?!? I WANT ONE!

Seriously i really do want one.
Getting it organized the first time is like playing tetris with the gear but like I said, I'm lazy, so I wouldn't be happy unless I could get it to fit in a way where everything is still easy and convenient to get to. Oh, I should qualify, it all fits but without the back seats like I have. Otherwise the the 48" Hi-lift, 8 lb fire extinguisher, pot, Coleman lantern, roll of shop paper towels, and director's chair have to go somewhere else.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by glenyoshida
Getting it organized the first time is like playing tetris with the gear but like I said, I'm lazy, so I wouldn't be happy unless I could get it to fit in a way where everything is still easy and convenient to get to. Oh, I should qualify, it all fits but without the back seats like I have. Otherwise the the 48" Hi-lift, 8 lb fire extinguisher, pot, Coleman lantern, roll of shop paper towels, and director's chair have to go somewhere else.
LOL

So those drawer will really hold that much weight even with them being SOOOO long? Are they still easy to use?

I so want one of these! (yes i have said it before and i WILL say it again until you either start selling them or give us some detailed insturctions.... lol)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

LOL

So those drawer will really hold that much weight even with them being SOOOO long? Are they still easy to use?

I so want one of these! (yes i have said it before and i WILL say it again until you either start selling them or give us some detailed insturctions.... lol)
Tex, not trying to come off like a "know it all" or anything, but you sure do want one of these cargo/sleeping platforms really bad considering you have more of a tuner inspired 4Runner. Just curious if you plan to take a lot of camping trips this year...especially on a 4Runner w/ 300K miles on it?

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-05-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Tex, not trying to come off like a "know it all" or anything, but you sure do want one of these cargo/sleeping platforms really bad considering you have more of a tuner inspired 4Runner. Just curious if you plan to take a lot of camping trips this year...especially on a 4Runner w/ 300K miles on it?
Well it only has 125k on it for one thing and i have been wanting one of these since day one. I do a lot of work around and i have to use up about half my truck for a big box to keep it all in right now. Being able to keep it in a cargo rack like that would be SO nice and be so much neater. I have been trying to come up with a design i liked for this for a long time but have just never seen one i really like. I need the extra room in there for when i hual stuff and being able ot sleep in there would be a great benifit.

Also it is not really a tuner truck, it just has a tuner look right now until i can get the $$$ to make it a proper truck. In the end it will be a weekend off-roader and camping mobile. that can also just happen to handel pretty good on the street as that IS where it will see most of it's time.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 10-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Well it only has 125k on it for one thing and i have been wanting one of these since day one. I do a lot of work around and i have to use up about half my truck for a big box to keep it all in right now. Being able to keep it in a cargo rack like that would be SO nice and be so much neater. I have been trying to come up with a design i liked for this for a long time but have just never seen one i really like. I need the extra room in there for when i hual stuff and being able ot sleep in there would be a great benifit.

Also it is not really a tuner truck, it just has a tuner look right now until i can get the $$$ to make it a proper truck. In the end it will be a weekend off-roader and camping mobile. that can also just happen to handel pretty good on the street as that IS where it will see most of it's time.

Well that's cool...makes sense. Whatever suits your needs.

Oh and I saw the results of this poll which is why I thought your 4Runner had 300K+ miles on it (Just click view results under the poll):

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...l-mileage.html

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-05-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Well that's cool...makes sense. Whatever suits your needs.

Oh and I saw the results of this poll which is why I thought your 4Runner had 300K+ miles on it (Just click view results under the poll):

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...l-mileage.html

original thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...l-mileage.html
LOL, i voted for a friend of mine that does have a 4runner with 34X,XXX miles on it. mine only has 125K and still runs like new. Compression test came out 185 across the board with ~2 psi change.

Quick Reply: Low Profile Cargo Box 3rd Gen