Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lots of codes - 01 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of codes - 01 4runner

I have an 01 SR5 4X4 and I have been doing some research but I can't exactly find a scenario similar and I may just be missing it so forgive me... I have a CEL and VSC OFF AND TSC TRAC on, so when Autozone pulled the codes today I got a little overwhelmed with the codes.. C1201, C1223, C1268, C1340, P0440, P0446 in addition to the 2 VSC lights. I have found these "C" codes coming up as "phantom" codes but it doesn't really make sense to me why the codes would be phantom and related to the ABS system and differential.. I have given a look over and don't see any obvious signs of hoses loose or anything.. some of them don't look too great on the ends so I am in the process of replacing some of them but I'm not convinced that just hoses will turn the code off since whenever I stop and get out, I can smell gas around the back end of the car on both sides but not when the car has sat for awhile so I suspect there is a little more to this problem. I am aware that there are tons of threads out there with the P0440/P0446 codes and I am going through and checking sensor and cleaning them out with contact cleaner and all but I am only about a month into this 4runner and not very familiar with all the technical in's and out's yet but I'm just looking for some ideas.. primarily if there's an easy way to test the charcoal canister if I go that route because I don't have a vacuum pump, or a smoke machine to smoke the evap system..

I have already changed the gas cap and still the light stays on, and I make sure that the cap is on tight when I fill it up, I can't speak for the person who owned it before me but I do not overfill it. There are no driveability issues that I notice except that when I pull the negative cable to reset the code it drives GREAT and the longer it goes seems like it's a little bit more stubborn to shift into 2nd but that's all. In my limited experience with transmissions and how the ECU works with them, I am aware that vacuum systems and sensors help tell the tranny when to shift and all so I am trying to pay close attention to vacuum hoses to and from the tranny.

My main question is that is there ANY actual relationship between the EVAP system and the VSC systems.. after flipping through multiple forums I don't see anyone explaining that connection if there is any connection, but it seems like people continue to have the same problem with EVAP and VSC lights coming on at the same time.

Also, earlier this morning I began to have a noise that sounded like the starter as it was firing up that to me sounds like the starter is slipping at the end of the ignition process but I had autozone test the starter out as well and they said there is no problems... anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks for the help and home remedies to properly diagnosing the multitude of codes.

Last edited by bendrums87; 04-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM

When I get lots of codes I start suspecting grounds. Not familiar with your setup but if all of these components share common ground locations it may be your problem.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by brianh699
When I get lots of codes I start suspecting grounds. Not familiar with your setup but if all of these components share common ground locations it may be your problem.
My setup so far as I know is stock, with the except of an alpine head unit I just put in it a week or two ago, but the problems were happening before then.. At first I JUST had the VSC lights and the P0446 code come on and now I took it by today and they told me there's these other codes also..
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Do you have a wiring diagram? I'd look at the ground locations of the evap system and vsc systems. You can also check each component individually with a voltmeter to see if you have good ground. I've seen where multiple components share a common ground point and it gets corroded or loose and causes multiple codes to be thrown.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by brianh699
Do you have a wiring diagram? I'd look at the ground locations of the evap system and vsc systems. You can also check each component individually with a voltmeter to see if you have good ground. I've seen where multiple components share a common ground point and it gets corroded or loose and causes multiple codes to be thrown.
I'm going to buy a haynes manual tomorrow and I will check that.. I am beginning to notice rust spots here and there so that could be a likely culprit I did not think about..