Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lost my front axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my front axle

Hi all, I've got a 1997 4runner 6cyl 4wd. I love this truck. I've had it for 5 years and have put about 115k problem-free miles on it. Actually, I replaced the water pump/timing belt a few months ago.

Anyway, it's been pulling when I steer for the last couple weeks. At first I thought it was the alignment, but the "pull" I was experiencing happened in both directions so I began thinking it was a different problem (this is my first 4wd). Well today the front driver side wheel/axle dropped as I was turning out of a parking lot. It freaked me out!! I'm so glad I was not on an interstate at the time.

I'm not much of a mechanic and I know nothing about front ends. It appears that the entire axle dropped. The wheel/tire was lying on the ground under the truck. I wish I had pics but the camera on my phone recently stopped working (string of bad luck).

I had it towed to the mechanic but it got there late in the day and they didn't get to look at it today. The tow truck driver said it was the ball joint. But it appeared to me that it was more than a ball joint. It looked like the entire front-left axle fell out. Again, I don’t know squat about front ends.

I just want to know my 4runner is going to be OK. I love that truck. I'm trying to get a handle on the possible damage and any advice you guys may have to offer.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like a ball joint, or the 4 bolts on the lower ball joint came out. I had a friend whose 4 bolts on his LBJ and the tire and everything folded up into his fender
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like the same that happend to me with a GMC. I was on the hwy and the lower ball joint broke. Yours sounds like it may the upper ball joint, if the tire was under the chassis I would think upper ball joint. The axel will probally go back in just fine. IMO

good luck
Old 06-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Wow. That makes me feel a little better. Badattitude... that happened to you on the highway?? Holy crap!! That must have been pretty crazy!

So I'm assuming that it would be prudent to have the ball joint(s) replaced on the passenger side as well? How expensive are we talking here?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You pass yearly state mechanical inspection and have a catastrophic ball joint failure? Doesn't sound likely.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
You pass yearly state mechanical inspection and have a catastrophic ball joint failure? Doesn't sound likely.
How do you know he has yearly state inspections? Not every state has them and we don't even know if he's IN a state.

Sounds to me like a balljoint. If the balljoint separated its likely that it pulled the axle apart, tearing the boot. Simple fix on the axle, pack it back together with grease and put a new boot on it. The lower ball joint is an easy fix too, its only held on by 4 bolts. Same with the upper (I believe that one's 5 bolts, but w/e).

If you replace parts on one side I would recommend replacing them on the other side too just in case those are about to go also.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes this sounds like same thing that happened to ric of Co 4 Lo- crossing railroad tracks.

Ball joints can just fail and when they do so it can be a big deal.

Yes we are all very glad you were not on the interstate so you are still here to talk to us on the forum.

Hopefully you were going a very slow speed and nothing else was damaged. Yes I would certainly do both sides, and have it aligned of course and you will likely need control arm componetry. Tie rod inners and outers, this may get expensive a bit.

I'll take a guess that you can easily spend a grand to get all this sorted out. But you will then have a lot of confidence in all the pieces. Get a couple of estimates if possible.

I'm not sure from your description if the 4wd system may be damaged up front. Sure hope not.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 AM

Ok thanks for the help. Yeah, no state inspection-- our last Governor eliminated those (Oklahoma).

I was guessing about a grand. Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like it's potentially not as bad as it seemed at the time.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darwin
Yeah, no state inspection-- our last Governor eliminated those (Oklahoma).
That's crazy, now I know a place I won't visit Why would someone eliminate one of the greatest benefits that all 1st world countries enjoy?

Populism? Some politician says "I'll eliminate inspections!" and everybody who can't see past their own nose vote for him cause they don't like the hassle of getting inspected every year?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ball joints are a little bit of a PIA to replace yourself, but, totally worth it. Just look into getting a ball joint separator. Way cheaper.

But, like crolosion said, it may have been the 4 bolts that hold the spindle onto the lower A-arm. Thats much more of a culprit. Anyone who had done work to that side? Rule is to always put a nice coat of thread locker on those bolts.