Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locker woes

Getting ready to throw down for a locker boys. I'd like to get a feeling from those with everything from a simple Lock-Right to Detroits in regards to why their happy/not with overall performace. Will the Detroits cause premature tire / driveline wear? Can I get away with a Lock-Right for most situations? Throw it out there for me.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a e-locker and its great just push a button when you need it

Last edited by Elton; 01-01-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to a junkyard and get a trd rearend, it's quicker, cheaper, and better than all the rest
Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Andy--I would say go Detroit Soft locker or TRD E-locker. I have been very happy with my Detroit both on and off road.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

andy, I'm really happy with my lock right. I put it in in half a day and it works period. They have an e-locker 3rd down at all toyota lexus wrecking in chula vista. They guy wants 500 for the third. I think you could talk him down a little. Then you could modify your axle housing to fit it. That would be really cool. Eric and I have had this discussion a few times, he is in the same situation as you. I told him I don't see the point in spending more for a detroit when it does the same thing as a lock right. To each his own.

And for what it's worth, I have access to a e-locker rear end for free, but I like my lock right enough where I don't even care to bother with the e-locker. The best 200$ I've put into my runner.

Last edited by spaugh; 01-01-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks boys - the e-locker is something I'm considering. Gotta do some more research on the whole wiring thing. Not my cup o' tea.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Andy for you it would be so easy to find a TRD Taco in the junk yard that would bolt right up. We talked about this but if I had a Taco I would do it in a heart beat. They are everywhere. Our Runners are a lot harder to find the rears for in the jk yards. Especially finding ones that are not all messed up.

I have been mulling this over for so long I just want to get an ARB and be done with it. Then I think compressor/wiring/air leak issue.... Then I want a Detroit. Then I think soft sand at the dunes or icy roads in Jullian and go back to the selectables.....

It is driving me a bit crazy. Can you tell?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Get one of these bad boys from Marlin

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM

sorry about that, i didn't even think about the leaf springs and all that, but there are several on here that could steer you in the right direction with modifying you axel, and wiring.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

some more food for thought. Spend 200$ on a lunch box locker, if you don't like it, take it out and sell it for 150$ and move on to something more expensive. I think once you try it you won't look back.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
Get one of these bad boys from Marlin

Marc there is one on Pirate for sale. $680 shipped!

Not a bad idea Brad. I just for some reason cannot talk myself into a lunch box. Not sure exactly why.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

I am getting a lockright put in on Thursday, I will let you know how it is. I hAve heard nothing but good things about it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Eric, I can understand why you don't want a lunchbox locker, just not sure the extra cost of a detroit is worth it. I think for a daily driver it's a tough call, but if you don't like the idea of lunch box, go e-locker. My dad's rear end is still there. Just got to drive up there and do the swap.

I am considering a lock right for my front end too, but I'm not sure exactly how the ADD thing works. If I'm not in 4wd, does this mean it makes no difference if the diff is locked? The wheels are disconnected from the driveline at the hubs?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would love an ARB but the budget is limited.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spaugh
Eric, I can understand why you don't want a lunchbox locker, just not sure the extra cost of a detroit is worth it. I think for a daily driver it's a tough call, but if you don't like the idea of lunch box, go e-locker. My dad's rear end is still there. Just got to drive up there and do the swap.

I am considering a lock right for my front end too, but I'm not sure exactly how the ADD thing works. If I'm not in 4wd, does this mean it makes no difference if the diff is locked? The wheels are disconnected from the driveline at the hubs?
From what I understand, any full time locker in the front of our rigs without installing locking hubs is not so great. I hear you can have lots of drivability issues. And a full time locked front and rear rig would be a real pain in the butt in the sand.

We need to talk about this axle of your dad's.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Anyone have experience with the Powertraxx. Apparently they have better on-road manners but are equally as competent off-road?

I'm pricing out the e-locker axles today so we'll see how much $$$$
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
From what I understand, any full time locker in the front of our rigs without installing locking hubs is not so great. I hear you can have lots of drivability issues. And a full time locked front and rear rig would be a real pain in the butt in the sand.

We need to talk about this axle of your dad's.
Ya, I didn't realize that the ADD disconnects the front drive shaft from the diff instead of the hubs from the axles. Got to get manual hubs or an ARB to lock the front properly.

Why are lockers bad in sand?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i have a lockright and LOVE the offroad performance i have gained.. wheeling unlocked is just silly to me now

i havent tried it in the snow for real yet so i have no feedback there, but offroad it has done amazingly in snow, water, dirt, mud and of course rocks.

onroad it is really not very loud, occiasonally it knocks but once you adjust your driving style (which isnt even much of an adjustment) it is great
Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

I just put an E-locker in the back of mine because I was able to pic it up for
$350 only thing is aparently the E-locker has 4.30 gears and the none E-locker diff is 4.10 gears so when I swapped rear axles I also had to change out the front diff which is a lot of work but well worth it in the end. Just depends on how much time your wanting to spend. But I know having a selectable is a prefered way to go and it's something I won't ever change.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 AM

i have a lockrite in my 98 4runner, 5spd.

i love it for the money, but in my truck, it unloads a little more frequent than i like. i think this may have something to do with the slightly bent rear lower control arm though, so when i rebuild that, i will post back up.

and for what it's worth, if you shop around, and contact performance off road center (porc.com), they match competitor pricing. because of this, i had it delivered 2-day for $179.

Quick Reply: Locker woes