Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What to get. Lockers, bumper/lights, air tank or something else?
EZ Locker
83.87%
All Pro rear bumper and IPF lights
6.45%
Outback c02 air system and deflators
6.45%
Other..
4.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Locker/Bumper, lights/ C02 system

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locker/Bumper, lights/ C02 system

So I trying to decide what I want to buy before I get back into school for the fall. I have narrowed them down to 3 choices, unfortunatly I can't buy all of them at the same time. I am asking for everyones opinion.

These are the choices. If you have another item, click Other and tell me. Thanks.

1). EZ locker and install(rear only)
2). All pro rear bumper and 2 IPF driving lights
3). The Outback C02 system that Mike is selling and the tire deflaters.
4). Other...

Any thoughts?

I want the locker so I can finally do stuff that I have never been able to do before. Everyone says they are amazing...I want to find out.

I want the rear bumper for protection and also for the reciever, but I havent figured out yet what I am too do with my spare. Lights I will use mostly at the lake.

C02 system. This would be handy to air up tires on the trail. Or anything else. This would give me more traction but I still might not be able to go as many places as I would with the locker. And purchase the deflators as well(do i need anything to run this set up)

Thats all, comments more than welcome, Thanks
Old 08-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoorfever
So I trying to decide what I want to buy before I get back into school for the fall. I have narrowed them down to 3 choices, unfortunatly I can't buy all of them at the same time. I am asking for everyones opinion.

These are the choices. If you have another item, click Other and tell me. Thanks.

1). EZ locker and install(rear only)
2). All pro rear bumper and 2 IPF driving lights
3). The Outback C02 system that Mike is selling and the tire deflaters.
4). Other...

Any thoughts?

I want the locker so I can finally do stuff that I have never been able to do before. Everyone says they are amazing...I want to find out.

I want the rear bumper for protection and also for the reciever, but I havent figured out yet what I am too do with my spare. Lights I will use mostly at the lake.

C02 system. This would be handy to air up tires on the trail. Or anything else. This would give me more traction but I still might not be able to go as many places as I would with the locker. And purchase the deflators as well(do i need anything to run this set up)

Thats all, comments more than welcome, Thanks
I vote for the locker first.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

agreed
Old 08-14-2004, 06:25 PM

Looks like a blowout - locker!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockers
Old 08-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

thanks guys...37 views and what like 6 votes!! c'mon more votes!! But i think its gonna be the locker
Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

good choice
Old 08-14-2004, 07:31 PM

Do a locker. I'd go LockRight if your wanting inexpensive/easy install. Or there's Detroit EZ locker a little cheaper than LockRight, but i'm not too sure about them.

To make the install cheaper I'll help you out with it, IF You take it out and wheel the hell out of it with me (for testing purposes of coarse).
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

ok ok Chris you talked me into it. I will go out with you, wait, I will go off roading with you.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:37 PM

locker all the way but think about a air locker or the new e-locker
Old 08-15-2004, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lunatic14r
locker all the way but think about a air locker or the new e-locker
I agree here, but I don't know life without selectable lockers. I wouldn't want my air locker actuated on icy roads, unless I was trying to do donuts.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-16-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Crap, dont scare me like that Dale. Are lockers really that hard to control on slick surfaces? I should be ok tho as long as I am not applying the gas?...
Old 08-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Crap, dont scare me like that Dale. Are lockers really that hard to control on slick surfaces? I should be ok tho as long as I am not applying the gas?...
Yes, as long as you're not spinning the rear wheels it should be like normal, depending on how the locker unlocks for turns. It's just that when you do spin the wheels, BOTH the rears will be spinning at the same time instead of the usual one, and that leaves little control of the rear end. A locker is great for getting you out of the ditch though, if you slide into one.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-16-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

I can tell you firsthand that auto-lockers are NOT as scary on-road as you think they'll be. I was just as skeptical too, and I've had mine in for a few weeks and no problems at all. Just don't give it quite as much throttle around turns and you're fine. Plus the clicking sounds way cool
Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 AM

Here's my two cents... take it for what it's worth.

If you truely are holding back on the trails simply because of the locker, then go for the locker. Otherwise, do the air tank. The air tank is the only thing you'll use every single time out (assuming you keep it full), but the locker is the only thing that's going to affect what you can do on the trail.

I wouldn't even consider the lights/bumper, but that's just me. I've got a zillion watts of lights, and I'd trade most all of them for onboard air.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:10 PM

LOCKER! LOCKER! LOCKER! LOCKER! LOCKER! but onboard air is way cool too.
Even if you don't get a locker, try the hard spots offroad anyways. If you get stuck, I'll pull you out

Last edited by OicnaiC; 08-16-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

I voted on the Outback air...no because I am selling it...no really!!

My reasoning is the same as Jacksons, there are plenty of trails that you may take where sure a locker may help but do you need one. I have to admit, I love the ability to air down and then be able to air up without needing to drive to a station with 12 psi in my tires.

I think either route you take you will be happy, I know new toys are always great!!

Do not get me wrong, like what was previously stated, if you are avoiding places because you do not have a locker and would feel more secure with one...absolutely get one!! If you are getting a locker to say, HEY I have a locker...go with the CO2 for convenience.

My $.02

Mike
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys I have made my decision!! I am buying a locker and thinking about the C02 system and deflators , but i want a arear bumper so bad!! thanks for the help everyone! Kyle
Old 08-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Locker for sure!
Old 08-19-2004, 05:21 PM

Locker you'll never see enough snow or ice to worry about it.

However it almost sounds like a rear bumper is a necessity I mean is your rear bumper is currently falling off rotted or something? What is wrong with the stock one? In all honesty my rear bumper has done nothing to protect the rear from trees. It still hits further up on the body before it even touches it and most of the time you are on a incline when you roll back so that always happens so having a tough rear bumper doesn't do much for you in some situations and if you have a locker it probably wouldn't happened in the first place.

Last edited by 934rnr; 08-19-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Locker/Bumper, lights/ C02 system