Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

locating a short in my blinker

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locating a short in my blinker

Help! I have 99 tacoma xtended cab 4x4. I am having trouble with my wiring. Whenever I press the brakes, my right blinker lights up! It has been doing this for a couple of days now. How can I locate the short. Is it in the rear or could it possibly be in the steering column. I also put a camper shell on my truck in April of the year. That wiring harness is on the left side though. Could this be affecting it?

mrw
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: locating a short in my blinker

Originally posted by 2 wyze
Help! I have 99 tacoma xtended cab 4x4. I am having trouble with my wiring. Whenever I press the brakes, my right blinker lights up! It has been doing this for a couple of days now. How can I locate the short. Is it in the rear or could it possibly be in the steering column. I also put a camper shell on my truck in April of the year. That wiring harness is on the left side though. Could this be affecting it?

mrw
mrw,

I don't know that I have the answer, but some clarification might help someone else help you.

The right blinker lights up...in the cab on the dash, in the rear, in the front, all three...where does the right blinker light up? If it is just in like the rear only lighting up, I'd check to see if it is a bulb going bad. They do weird things when they go bad before they blow. Other than that...I have no idea, but like I said, the clarification will help someone else help you out I'm sure!

Old 10-30-2003, 05:59 AM

Thanks Brian,
All three (right dash signal, right rear and right front) light up. I have replaced the bulbs on the front and rear and it was still doing the same thing. I found one posting that mentioned that it might be the converter for my towing package. If it is the converter, will i need to replace it or can I fix it?

mrw
Old 10-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds reasonable

Thanks Brian,
All three (right dash signal, right rear and right front) light up. I have replaced the bulbs on the front and rear and it was still doing the same thing. I found one posting that mentioned that it might be the converter for my towing package. If it is the converter, will i need to replace it or can I fix it?

mrw
mrw,

That sounds like a reasonable and logical place to check/start. As far as a definite answer, that is beyond the scope of my experience. Sorry...

Old 10-30-2003, 07:12 AM

I had a similar problem with my signals. As it turns out, the towing harness was shorting. There were two wires that had become exposed and were shorting on each other. I would definitely check that before spending the big $$$ to replace it. Could cost ya $1.29 for some electrical tape. Wiring sux. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Brian,

mrw
I'm not sure but I think there is a TSB for this. I had a 99 Tacoma and I remember taking mine in for something to do with the wiring on the towing harness. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:51 AM

thanks Denk and St. Steve, yall have been alot of help!! I will check out the harness when I get home. Hopefully it will be as simple as applying some tape. The dealership wanted about $100 just to figure out what was wrong. St. Steve, what is a TSB? I am assuming a recall of some sort?!?! oh yeah...go dawgs...beat florida!!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

2wyze...yeah it's do or die this saturday. check out this site:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/9960_mo.html

lots of useful info here. GOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!!

oops. TSB#AX006-02

Last edited by saintsteve; 10-30-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:34 AM

thanks guys...problem fixed...i replaced my wiring harness. that is a great link St. Steve but unfortunatley it was not cover by the TSB. My towing package is a Reese and not a Toyota (which is the one that is covered). they might just be blowing smoke up my a** and didnt want to pay for it...But anyway...thanks for taking time out to help me. Now I am on my way down to jax to pull the Dawgs through!!!
aint it great...to be...a gator hater!!!

wise
Old 10-31-2003, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

how much did that fix cost ya? maybe you could do a write up if you did it yourself?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:48 AM

I got the wiring harness from a dealership for just under $50. The only other place I checked was Auto Zone and theirs was the same price, but I think the one at the dealership was better considering it was the whole wiring harness with that black plastic coil tube around the wires, zip ties and two tape for the converter.

The dealership wanted about $40-50 to install it, so I opt to put it in myself. It was not difficult to rewire at all (and I am no electrician by any means). It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to prep, install, and clean up. Simply remove both rear taillights and detach the two wire clips on each light (as a check, I hooked up the harness on the to each of the taillights without routing it under my truck to make sure that this would solve my problem, which it did). Before you start pulling all the wires out, look and see how the wires are run under the truck to each of the taillights (you might have to cut some of the zip ties to see how this is done). Once you have a good idea, cut the zip ties to the converter box located by the bumper on the driver side and remove it along with the wires. Now run the new wire harness the same way as the old harness was wired; use the two way tape to mount the converter box and secure it with some zip ties. Now hook up each of the taillights and screw them back on your truck Use the remaining zip ties to take the slack out of the wires (remembering how the old one secured). That should about do it. Contact me by email if anyone has any specfic questions.

mrw