Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Line-X'd Fender Flares

Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line-X'd Fender Flares

I'm going to get my bed line-x'd on thursday. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to spray it on the fender flares while im there. they are very scratched and chipped and i think it would just be cheaper to spray them then buy new ones. i havent asked how much they would charge me for it, but i figure it cant be as much as new ones.
I wonder if that stuff will stick to plastic.

I saw something in one of the threads that can be sprayed on line-x to keep it from fading. Anyone know what that was?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Cruzin90

I'm a LINE-X dealer. No problem spraying the flares. If your worried about fading, the dealer can spray:

1. Ultra Shield - A UV protection topcoat. It's been around for a while. It's a one-time application for no fading.
2. Dupont Nason paint - Urethane based automotive paint. It's what I use for color matches. Glossy and won't fade. Your dealer may not be familiar with using Nason.
3. LINE-X Xtra. - A new product that contains a Dupont Kevlar pulp. Resists scratches, retains color, is glossy. Your dealer has to have attended a training class before he can sell Xtra.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 AM

thanks a lot man. where is your shop located?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Cruzin90

Fort Worth, Texas. Come on down....

LINE-X with Toyota logo (no charge):

Last edited by Cruzin90; 07-05-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 PM

too bad. looks like you do really nice work. im in maryland. my aunt lives in Waller, TX and a buddy of mine from the army lives in Wauxahatchie, TX. Maybe i should wait until the next time im visiting one of them and come see you.
my dealer said he would not spray the flairs. said it absolutely would not stick to plastic. sounds like im gettin blown off. its owned by 2 young dudes and i think lotsa speed goes thru that place. theyre just interested in doin beds and gettin them outta there as soon as possible. i wanted the same place to do some custom stuff on the inside of an old jeep i had and they said their policy was nothing on the inside of the vehicle. some bs about toxic gasses and liability. i told them i would sign a waiver but they still refused. next closest place is like 100mi away and they do rhino lining. Im scared to even ask about the UV protectant or any kinda grafix.
oh well. can I buy the UV protectant from a professional paint supplier and spray it myself. if so can you gimme a quick and dirty run thru of the process. do I need to dilute it. ill probly just get a small detail gun from Sears If I can find the stuff. how much do I need to mask the truck. that kinda stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Cruzin...where you at? I live in the area. You have other accessories?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Cruzin90

Oh boy, they sound like real winners.....

We spray flares, jeeps, fire trucks, ATV's, military trailers, entire exteriors, etc. We can spray LINE-X on wood, plastic, steel, aluminum, powdercoat, etc. We can't spray it on chrome or rust.

Well, you can spray Nason paint yourself. It works well with urethane based liners:

Mix 4 oz's of Reducer with 2 oz's of Catalyst with 10 oz's of Dupont Ful-Thane Nason paint. Go to a professional paint store (I use Finishmaster). They will give you the correct reducer and catalyst for Ful-thane Nason. You will need a HVLP paint gun and an air compressor. Actually spraying the stuff is easy.

Color match with Nason:

Jeep tub with black LINE-X:

Black and yellow LINE-X'd toolbox:

Entire exterior in red and black LINE-X (with Nason):

Fender flares and rocker panels color matched to a Suburban color:

Lower facia of a Nissan Altima with color matched LINE-X. No more rock chips!

Fire Dept brush truck. Everything black is LINE-X except the bumper.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Cruzin90

Originally Posted by DavidA
Cruzin...where you at? I live in the area. You have other accessories?
I'm on the west side on Camp Bowie. 8155 Camp Bowie West. I don't stock assessories, but I can get'em. Whatcha need?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is awesome, I live in FTW and I have a LineX project I have wanted to do for awhile now but was hesitant because many dealers dont want to do anything but beds...

Check out the lower rockers in this pic

Thats what a 2nd gen looks like once the factory rear bumper is removed and replaced with a tube bubmper.

I've been thinking that a heavy layer (or two) of LineX would help 'fill in' that area and make it look better. I'm not trying to make it look like it was the same as the rest of the body - just less of a change in the contour of the body...

No doubt it wouldnt be perfect but I am not looking for perfect - just trying to visually smooth things out in that ugly area. Do you have any thoughts or ideas for something like this?

Thanks

Last edited by ROMAD; 07-05-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Cruzin90

We would have to remove the tube bumper. Is that possible? Some folks weld that stuff on. Other than the tube bumper and looking just at your picture, I don't see a problem. Come by the shop on Saturday and let us take a look at it. We open at 9:00 AM. If we are not busy, we close at 1:00 PM, if we are busy, we close whenever.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem on removing the bumper - that pic isn't my vehicle! I have been planning this one for awhile so if you are willing to give it a shot I'll just drop the factory bumper and head on over for a look see.

Not sure if I can make it this weekend though but I will definitely be in touch with you very soon...I need a new bumper ASAP (got rear ended a few weeks ago )
Old 07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Let's meet at his shop some weekend for a mini 4Runner meet and some great ideas on improvements.