Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

limted VS. Sr5 in power-help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
limted VS. Sr5 in power-help

Hello all... I recently drove a 99 limited 4runner... (stock) and then my 99 sr5.. both have the same engines! The limited seems to have a more "sensitive" gas ped. ---It seems like my sr5 is slower than the limited.. the limited seemed to respond to the gas quicker...

also... when I am at a red light I have noticed a vibration from the engine that I never felt before-- I feel like its something that would come from old plugs--- but I just changed those. Any idea?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

What type of plugs did you go to?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing that gets me, is why did they de-tune the 3.4 for the 4runner to 183 HP compared to the TAcoma's 190?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gomezza
Hello all... I recently drove a 99 limited 4runner... (stock) and then my 99 sr5.. both have the same engines! The limited seems to have a more "sensitive" gas ped. ---It seems like my sr5 is slower than the limited.. the limited seemed to respond to the gas quicker...

also... when I am at a red light I have noticed a vibration from the engine that I never felt before-- I feel like its something that would come from old plugs--- but I just changed those. Any idea?
This thread does not specifically answer your question, but take a look at the differences in times from one model to the next. Interesting stuff.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 AM

I went to the Denso OE plugs.... Same plugs in the limited. I have the same amount of weight on the car as well... I still dont get what would make the limited more "agressive" during acceration than my sr5

And on a side note... i've noticed a lot of people put intakes on their cars... does that even do anything except waste gas?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

You may want to check your plugs to see if they were installed correctly. What kind of vibration is it? I had something similar and one of my spark plugs blew out of my coil. Wasnt a cheap fix but could have been alot worse.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

I went to the Denso OE plugs.... Same plugs in the limited. I have the same amount of weight on the car as well... I still dont get what would make the limited more "agressive" during acceration than my sr5

And on a side note... i've noticed a lot of people put intakes on their cars... does that even do anything except waste gas?
I seem to find that it saves gas if I drive normally...

...although witht eh intake I like to floor it just to hear it roar...
Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I checked the plugs and they are all fine... THe vibration feels like you're sitting on one of those chairs that vibrate but not as strong. sort of like a vibration you'd feel when the A/C would kick on in a small 4 cly engine.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Banned

Is the vibe at idle or under load?

Has the weather in your area been changing? Have you done anything engine wise lately?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:47 PM

the engine is under idle at a red light after it has warmed up... and the only thing i've done is change my battery.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Banned

theres the reason. When you changed the battery, it reset the ECU. Your ECU is now relearning how to idle and remapping itself. thats also why you feel slower.

Heres my suggestion: Reset the ECU again (disconnect negative bettery terninal, press brakes 5 times, holding for 10 seconds each time, leave cable disconnected for 10 minutes, reconnect), and beat the ÅÅÅÅ out of it (the truck). Drive as aggressively as possible for a week or so. The ECU will learn your driving style, and will control the engine properly, and give you an small extra kick. You will lose a little fuel economy tho..
Old 04-02-2005, 08:20 PM

what happens by pushing the brakes down? I dont believe there is any relation between the ecu and the brakes? I will try what you said...
I also just cleaned my MAF sensor... I hope that'll help too... I cant drive it right now because i have no brakes on the car... hehe... I'm chaning those as I write this...
Old 04-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

is it just a very mild viberation?...like does someone thats never ridden in your truck feel it or is it just something you've learn to notice?....I notice my truck has a mild viberation, so I test drove another 04 tacoma, prerunner not 4x4 like mine, and it had the same mild viberation....just a thought...
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 PM

its mild... i mean no one would notice... its just me..because i drive her everyday! its not that i'm worried... just curious...
Old 04-03-2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
The thing that gets me, is why did they de-tune the 3.4 for the 4runner to 183 HP compared to the TAcoma's 190?
Wel... i "think" it's because since a Tacoma is more of a pickup and the 4runner is more of a "family car" in the eyes of Toyota. What they might have done was not necessarily de-tune the 4runner. But more or less put in a more restrictive intake and exhaust. That will give the 4runner a more quiet engine.
Sort of like the Tundra and the land cruiser. Same engine, but just a tad different hp ratings.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Banned

what happens by pushing the brakes down? I dont believe there is any relation between the ecu and the brakes? I will try what you said...
I also just cleaned my MAF sensor... I hope that'll help too... I cant drive it right now because i have no brakes on the car... hehe... I'm chaning those as I write this...
It turns on your brake lights, draining any power left in the system.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Don't overlook cap and rotor, wires, timing, air filter condition, fuel filter condition, injector condition (a function of mileage and gas quality over time,) park brake left on, a tire or two at 8 psi - there are ton of reasons why one engine doesn't run as well as another on a given day - especially if there's a "vibration."
Old 04-04-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Because the 4Runner is considered a passenger vehicle and is in a different fuel consumption category than the Tacoma. Manufacturers are allowed to have a certain overall average for all their passenger vehicles sold, and a different (lower) figure for the trucks they sell.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM

HOw does the brake lights come on if the battery is disconnected?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 98_YOTA
HOw does the brake lights come on if the battery is disconnected?
He's thinking that there's some sort of general capacitor in the electrical system which will store enough of a charge to keep the ECU fired up. There isn't btw, and in my experience the old "pull the neg batt cable for 5 minutes" axiom is about 4min 50seconds too long.

My ECU resets with the EFI pulled for 10 seconds - tops.

Quick Reply: limted VS. Sr5 in power-help