Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Limited slips: bad in snow?

Old 03-01-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited slips: bad in snow?

Are limited slips bad like lockers are in snow? I'm talking the supra torsen type ones.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:39 AM

In my experience, a limited slip or locker is the only way to go in the snow. It is a lot more fun with one than it is without. The only thing you have to be careful with is the backend of the truck will slide sideways a lot more, because both tires are pulling rather than just one in most cases.

I'd highly recommend it!

Chris
Old 03-02-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by ravencr
locker is the only way to go in the snow.
Dude are you kidding? Locker + snow =bad
Old 03-02-2003, 08:03 AM

Locker + snow = fun in the snow!

Chris
Old 03-02-2003, 08:08 AM

LOCKER + snow/mud=pulling you buddy
with a limited slip out of the snow/mud
lockers all the way

if you want both worlds go with a air locker

Last edited by lunatic14r; 03-02-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:14 AM

But don't lockers do random crazy things on snow and ice?? Also I don't need a full locker, I will probably never lift my wheels, but I want to make the most of my 2wd in snow, but also fire trails/gravel roads and stuff like that, where I'd never use 4wd anyway.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:06 AM

Selectable locker or limited slip is always going to be better than an open differential. Always! Two tires pulling is always better than one, isn't it!!

Chris
Old 03-02-2003, 09:32 AM

Rear locker on, in snow, does one of two weird things:

1. If you're going slow on a slippery surface (light snow + ice) it has a tendency to do a very specific fishtail. It's a slow-sliding, almost deliberate fish-tail. The rear-end will simply start sliding one way or the other, on its own. This doesn't happen *too* often, but be careful. It's mostly just ice that you'll see this happen.

2. In deep snow, from a stand still, going forward: As the rear turns together and grinds over/through the snow you might feel a lot of vibration in the drivetrain. Your lower center console and gear shift lever will shake crazily. Once you get moving, it smoothes out.

Other than that I can't think of any other crazy things. I drive w/the locker on in deep snow. Not so much if there's ice or slick surfaces around. 3WD is better than 2WD (a.k.a 4WD). It did quite well yesterday in the deep snow (check the Offroad forum for my pics of yesterday's snow wheelin' trip).

Al

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
But don't lockers do random crazy things on snow and ice?? Also I don't need a full locker, I will probably never lift my wheels, but I want to make the most of my 2wd in snow, but also fire trails/gravel roads and stuff like that, where I'd never use 4wd anyway.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I'm confused (not like normal, just a little more).
My 92 x-cab does everything that HBoss just described in the snow (fishtailing, bouncing). I don't have a rear locker on my truck, atleast I don't think I do (unless it is standard on my truck)??
So how would it be different If I put a locker on? I was thinking about doing this, because I thought 2 wheels driving instead of 1 would help me from fishtailing and bouncing and give better traction in the snow??? I'm lost!!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

I've had both a limited slip and a selectable locker (and of course open diffs) and live in Minnesota. So I've had many chances to try all three in the snow.

Rear wheel drive vehicles are going to fishtail regardless of the rear diff, especially if you drive like i do. The lighter the rear end the more this will happen. I found the limited slip to be fine in the snow under most circumstances. However, if you are on a side slope, you definitely slide sideways more than an open diff.

A selectable locker (like ARB or the toy e-locker) gives the benefit of both an open and locked diff. In deep sticky snow the locked rear end gives you a lot more push, but around corners or on side-slopes I would keep it open to avoid fishtailing. Or, like Ravencr implies, you take advantage of the locker and do donuts like a pro. With both wheels spinning there is absolutely no lateral traction.

For my uses - snow, recreational wheeling, and ocassional moderate hard core trails (4-4+ in Moab) - the selectable locker is ten times better than a limited slip and a thousand times better than an open diff.

Ultimately though, it all depends on what you want to use it for. If I had a 2wd, I would definitely save up for a selectable locker.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:59 AM

I thought I said "slope" in my item #1, but apparently I didn't. That should be in there and that's when the rear end kicks out. It's slow & deliberate, as you're only travelling around 3 mph.

The bounce doesn't happen to me when the rear locker is off. Actually, it's not really a bounce. It's more of "Apollo 13 insane vibrations" along the drivetrain, set to a snowy backdrop.

Either way, a rear locker in the snow does help & does make a difference, but you have to use it wisely & know when to shut it off.

Back to being "on topic": I think LSDs and lockers in snow (and on ice for that matter) are fine. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by HBoss; 03-03-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:25 AM

Okay, you guys have me sold on a locker. I have enough money to do whatever I want, within reason, but I won't be able to go back and upgrade anything for a while. Whats size rear axle does my '85 have?? Please tell me 8" so I can get a toy e-locker otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't want an ARB, I can't see putting that money into it right now.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Some of the fishtailing that is being described is caused by that infamous solid rear axle. Dang that thing sometimes!

When I get around to modding the rear-end, I am definetly going with a locker. Not only does it work, but its always nice to have that piece of mind if you are off roading alone (not recommended) or in a caravan.

The decision to buy an LSD over a locker would be a waste unless I was a drag racer, in my opinion.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:38 AM

Whats size rear axle does my '85 have?? Please tell me 8" so I can get a toy e-locker otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't want an ARB, I can't see putting that money into it right now.
You are correct, it is an 8"....But I'm sure you know that you can't just drop in an e-locker w/o some modifications to the housing.

Salue
Old 03-03-2003, 01:24 PM

Yes I am aware that it needs modifications, but at least it's the right size. That's a starting point if nothing else and there are many writeups on how to mod the 3rd so ...

This is a huge n00b3r question, but....it is my understanding you can leave the e-locker "locked" whenenver you want, correct? It's unlike 4wd in that regard? I am pretty sure you can, but I thought I'd check. I know you wouldn't leave it on around town but you could leave it on all the time in the woods, right?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Keep it open unless you need it locked. Try to turn on hard-packed dirt or rocks while it's locked and you'll know why.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:42 AM

So should I go for limited slip instead? The main use would be snow/rain on the road, and lots of rock/dirt roads as well.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:25 PM

Maybe I misread your original post but if it's for everyday driving, I'd recommend an LSD, not a locker.

If you're talking for offroad, vice versa.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was scared of an auto locker, but in need of some traction, I added a True-Trac. It was better than being open off road, and nearly invisible on road. If I goosed it in the rain or the snow, my tail would replace my nose real quick.

Now I run dual ARB's and love it.

If you need traction and are afraid of an auto locker, wait and get a selectable. The price is worth it.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

So should I go for limited slip instead? The main use would be snow/rain on the road, and lots of rock/dirt roads as well.
For all around use in the snow and off-road, I prefer a selectable locker over a LSD. But if all you are going to do is "roads," then a locker is overkill. For roads, a LSD may be overkill too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited slips: bad in snow?