Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

legal question re: corner lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
legal question re: corner lights

Is it illegal to have blue corner lights? If so.. does anyone know the law?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends n your state. Where are you located?

Search the internet for your state's vehicle code. For example, I found VA's codes here.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:07 PM

Can tell you right now, yes it is illegal.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:47 PM

and at least here in cali your corner markers should be reflective orange...although they wont hassle you too much about that if your bulb is orange...but blue bulbs is asking to get hassled
Old 08-29-2004, 06:53 PM

I saw a 4runner with blue corner bulbs, and they are VERY noticeable from afar.

Edit: When you mean blue bulbs, do you mean blue coated, whiteish output? Or do you mean blue coated blue output?

Last edited by 98whtLmTD; 08-29-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Unless you are offroad - solid red anywhere except the rear of the vehicle is not allowed. Blue is not permissable period. Ever see those ricers with the windshield washer nozzles that give off blue light? Illegal to have - check your local vehicle code if you want but I'm pretty sure that any light associated with an emergency vehicle will be off limits on a personal one.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Does that mean that I can't have my blue under carriage lights???????
Old 08-29-2004, 07:57 PM

I have a Super Street or Sport Compact Car somewhere around here and call tell you just about anything you want to know about state laws and modding your vehicle. It has laws on lights, window tint, ride height.....just about anything. Let me know what state you want info on and I can tell you.

Iwill tell you without picking it up that in most states, just about any color other than white, amber or red for signals is illegal. Most states also require that all forward facing lights be of white or amber in color. The article also told how some states were questioning HID lights because of their bluish hue. Is that strict or what?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:59 PM

you cannot have a non-approved D.O.T. light emitting device on your vehicle while its in motion on the road. off road use and showing off in a parking lot is different.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c2dalo
Is it illegal to have blue corner lights? If so.. does anyone know the law?
I'd stick with white or orange.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:12 PM

Here in Hawaii, any type of blue light is illegal
Old 08-30-2004, 12:13 AM

My turn signals have a blue hue to them, but my corners are white to match my headlights. I'm pretty sure blue is illegal. At least here in CA...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:22 PM

so here is a little bit of what it says in that Super Street......I thought it had the lighting laws, but just has a general overview.

"state laws defer to or incorporate the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards reguarding brightness and visibility. A good way to ensure that your replacement lamps are leagal is to look for the Depeartment of Transportation's initails somewhere on the lens or the bulb." -Super Street Magazine, September 2004

Thought I'd throw that obvious part in there.....now for the more detailed part......

"Federal rules are pretty specific reguarding light colors. Forward-facing and side-marker lights need to be either white or amber; brake and taillights need to be red; and turn signals can be red, white or amber, depending on which end of the vehicle is under consideration and how old the vehicle is. Vehicle codes frown on any other colors, particularly blue, because blue lights are often used by law enforcement agencies." -Super Street Magazine, September 2004

I know this isn't an exact anser to this subject, but it is a good overview of at least the Federal side of it. I personally have green marker lights on my Celica, but I live in a state that isn't a strict on that kind of thing. The cops here say that markers can be any color that you want other than blue and they can not flash.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses- Apparently the consensus is that it's illegal. I live in NY by the way. But yeah, i have had blue corner lights (not my turn signal) for at least 2 years now and never had a word said to me. But a week ago me and my buddies were coming home from the bars and a cop pulled us over.. w/ the claim being that the lights were illegal. Luckily for me, i wasn't driving.. but unluckily for my buddy.. he got dabbed with a DWI. I was just trying to confirm that the cops' reason for pulling us over is legit.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

DWI?!?
Are you kidding me???
Did you guys not designate a driver? Party up if you want but stay off the freaking roads!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:53 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Some of the aftermarket "HID"ish headlight bulbs are very blue. In addition to being potentially illegal, they also aren't very bright, neither of which is very bright...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Del

Any blue lights on a vehicle are illegal. If they wanted to be d*cks about it, they could get you for inpersonating (sp?) a police officer, depending on where the lights were located.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck has blue bulbs all around except for the headlights and i have passed numerous cops, no problem, i live in cali by the way.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by desert whomper
my truck has blue bulbs all around except for the headlights and i have passed numerous cops, no problem, i live in cali by the way.
well i'll put it to you this way...if you were in a lowered civic w/ loud exhaust etc and those bulbs you'd be getting the heat from the po po

i've noticed that driving a truck cops dont tend to hassle you as much as a lowered import.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think its one of those things the cops can use to nab you if they want to check to see if your drunk or not... basicly it gives them P.C. to pull you over.... i have my 150 watt roof mounted KCs un-covered and have for almost a year and haven't been pulled over for it, even though my buddys who are police officers tell me i need to get them covered cuz i guess it illegal to have driving/fog/off-road lights higher then the headlights uncovered...(i keep them uncovered cuz it get my point across REAL quick, when other people have their high-beams on.. ) but i was pulled over when i was in my brothers Neon due to the windshield lights but it was 3am and near a bunch of bars.... ran my DL and plates and let me go.

Quick Reply: legal question re: corner lights