Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy

F*** man. Since wednesday Morning 9am I have not gotten any sleep about 28 Hours i was awake. I had to do my college final homework because I procastinated. While I did my final I dont know what i got for a grade but while i was driving home looking forward for the headers and some good sleep. Well I didnt make it home. I totalled my 4runner into a car dealership. I basically knocked out while I was driving Next thing i know it i plowed into alot of poles and hit a main light pole which stopped my 4runner. I finally woked up to impact. As the airbags deployed the smoke and burning deploying gas inflated the airbags. Immediately wokeed up. As my heartbeat raced I had no F***ing clue what to do. I have never been in this situation. All i can do is see my 4runner with no front. Next thing you know it guys from the dealership went to check me out. Miracilousy I was alive and unharmed. Not even a scratch. Than the cops came. Than the tow guys came. Than My parents came.

As the tows guy winched in into a truck bed. I immediate saw tranny fluid leaking out. That made me cry at that point I had no idea what to do.

Things Running Through My Mind.
1. How will my 4runner do?
2. Did I Pass My Final in college.
3. A Increase to my insurance Premiums
4. 2 Pts on my Driving Record and License
5. Terrified Parents
6. Getting my belongings in my 4runner

When everythign was done. UPS MAN left a notice on my door. Because I know my 410. LC Headers and LC High Flow Cat Came! I shouted the UPS man to stop. He did and i got my headers. I really loved my 4runner. I nursed it. Took Really good care of it....

Now im speechless on what to do.. I dont know where to start with this. I how to get back on my feet. All i did so far was call the insurance company and hopiing they give a call back.

Now guys and gals I have somethign to say. Im going to make this short I dont want another incident like this happen to you guys. If you feel sleepy.. FREAKIN pull over and just take a nap or call someone to take you home. I MEAN IT i mean justt... dont procastiniate especially if you have a long commute to school. Thats all i have to say. Just learn from my lessups as a wakeup call to do better in school for you college people.

- Kevin Mak
1998 4Runner RIP 9-9-04 12:00PM

Last edited by kevin444; 09-10-2004 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:21 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Whoa! Sorry to hear the news, but I'm glad you made it through without injury. The truck can be replaced. You can't. Stay cool and keep your head on straight.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah the cops are shocked that i didnt even a get a any scratches. Well im 19 So that tells you how old am I.

Things. I wanna do bust out a reciprocating saw and cut out my 5 day old magnaflow muffler.

Take out the wind delector on top of the hatch.

Take off the roof rack

Take Off the runnign boards.

Take off my dashboard cover and floormats and trunk mat..
Old 09-10-2004, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

The tow company will take the rig to their yard, then to the insurance appraiser. After that it will sit in a yard and you can go get all your stuff. Grab that airfilter and stereo.
If you had full coverage (I hope) the insurance will cut you a check and you'll be on your way to a V6 4wd. It didnt kill you, so it will make you stronger.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Ahh will do will take the amsoil filter and probaly a stock toyota in there. Take my blue ngk wires and put in the stock toyota one. I do have 2 way insurance.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Dang man, I am glad you are ok!!

You probably didn't get injured because you were relaxed, thus didn't tense up when you hit. That's how drunk drivers live through bad accidents.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Dang man, I am glad you are ok!!

You probably didn't get injured because you were relaxed, thus didn't tense up when you hit. That's how drunk drivers live through bad accidents.

Im still debating if i should remove the other part to my head unit. I still happen to have my face for the headunit just not the other portion. I still have the receipts the cops said if i have the receipts i can get reimbursed. So i was thikning of just leaving it there. And just sell the face my stock toyota casset deck radio deck and well you know.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
Im still debating if i should remove the other part to my head unit. I still happen to have my face for the headunit just not the other portion. I still have the receipts the cops said if i have the receipts i can get reimbursed. So i was thikning of just leaving it there. And just sell the face my stock toyota casset deck radio deck and well you know.
If it were me, I would take everything you can out of the truck. Its better than hassling with the insurance company.
my $0.02
Old 09-10-2004, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you are ok. I have been through stuff like this too, and it was at or around your age when I did it.

1. 7 tickets
2. Got rammed into a ditch in my "new" truck
3. Rear-ended my neighbor going 50

Now, I look back and I am very thankful that nothing happened to me. I agree with the other guys, the rig can be replaced, and pulling parts is a great idea.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull any and all parts you can. Insurance will more than likely write off the truck at which point it will either be sold for scrap or to an auction.

You insurance company is going to try and low ball you on the cost of the 4Runner and will more than likely not cover any Mods or Upgrades you have done. If they do it won't be at full replacement value. (Either way you lose)

remove everything you can AFTER they appraiser has taken a look at it.

Thank god your OK. The Big Guy upstairs must like you ......
Old 09-10-2004, 06:13 AM

Good to hear you faired well!!

Definately rob all the parts you can after the appraiser looks at it.
If you wanna sell the parts your robbin' back off, I'm interested in your blue wires.

Nice of you to share your bad experience with us in hopes of keepin' others from the same situation.

Best of luck to you with recoopin' your $$$ and gettin' another Runna.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Kevin,
im glad your ok, as others have said, your rig can be replaced, you cant, i know you have pride in your runner, but it can be replaced, dont sweat it, be thankfull your alive and that you didnt even get hurt.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:23 AM

I know right now you think this is the worst thing, but it could have been a lot worse. I'm not talking about losing your life, because the people who care about you would deal with that. You could have been paralized, lost limbs, and that's hard to live with. Anyway, on the upside, you have full coverage, so that is a plus. Get a new truck, and start from scratch again. It'll be fun, and now you know what to do, and what not to do. Get the V6 4wd and enjoy it. Use this as a lesson learned, and you'll tell it as a story in the future. You can use it as a survival story to pick up chicks!!! Glad you're ok.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Glad that you are ok man!! Things happenned all the time, as long as you are alive and not hurt, that is what matter. Cheer up and ready for a V6 4Runner
Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Burning the candle from both ends

If you burn the candle at both ends long enough eventually it gets snuffed out. When you are young you think you are immortal, as you get older you realize to stop sweating the big stuff and realize that life is much more pleasant well rested!

IMO, you learned a valuable lesson at a cheap price, you only have to replace a thing, not a person.

Glad to hear you are okay!

Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
holy crap, Kevin, i just saw you and your rig a few days ago !!!

yes, as matter of fact as this sounds and as others have said, good thing you dont have a scratch on you (physically). emotionally, dude, i know. it sucks so much arse!

id take everything out of value b/f someone else does. i have my old stock headunit with amp. you want it, just let me know. you can stick that into the wrecked 4runner if you need to.

bob
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you are ok Kevin. Sorry about what happened and as everyone said, you can replace a car, not a life.

I hope while in your final you did not have to use the word 'then' because if so, using the word 'than' in its place will get you no where.. buddy everything will be ok. good luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Get everything you can off the truck (what they will let you). My last wreck (not my fault) they would not pay me any extra for the $350 in new brakes and rotors and new premium lifetime starter (all in less than 36 hours before I got hit), AND they lowballed me on the value of the car. The only thing that worked for me was they added "loss of use" which made it come out OK.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:08 AM

Sorry about your loss. Stuff happens who knows you might get into something else you might like better like a ext cab pickup or something like that.

Also take everything off your 4 runner you can. When my pathfinder was totalled at the storage yard people kind of helped themselves to the stuff I had on it like my fog lights the cargo basket wasn't found supposedly it had 4 Hellas on it also the front shakles and anything else they could see on it seemed to disapear when I went down to get my stuff out of it. Freaking thevies...
Anyways you aren't going to get anything more than bluebook on it been there done that. I had put alot of $$ in to it too so I had it totalled bought it back and parted it out came out ahead that way not alot of people can do that though.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:16 AM

You could have been paralized, lost limbs, and that's hard to live with.
Or killed someone else, which would be a bigger loss to the society than someone who drives intoxicated or exhausted, both of which are already illegal in NJ.

Quick Reply: Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy